Pbs Hd?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hi,

I was reading some info that D* is going to be carrying PBS HD starting this year. I have to admit being a PBS fan and we currently get one of the PSB HD stations on cable (OK, one of only a few HD channels that we do get ;) ).

Anyway, my question is, do you foresee E* making efforts to carry a PBS HD station (either national or local) in the near future? (I understand that any HD addition is going to be dependent on the new satellites going up for the additional bandwidth.)

I wouldn't count on anything like that until after the new satellites go up.

It would be a nice addition though especially since PBS carries more real HD than the commercial broadcast networks.

All the digital sub-channels for PBS and the other channels available at our individual locations would be nice too. Cable around here has both satellite providers beat in that department.

I am sure it will be someday but not any time soon. JIMHO.

I get PBS HD on my OTA and it is awesome. Since it is in all HD, most of the programming has been made in the past couple of years. I love it. Since I get it OTA, I want Dish to add channels that I can't get OTA. If we do get it, I won't complain.

And if Bush has his way no one may be getting it

This past week, the New York Times reported that the Bush administration has once again proposed deep cuts in federal funding for public broadcasting. Unfortunately the cuts proposed this year are even more severe than in past years -- but with your help, we can convince Congress to restore this funding.

If it seems like we go through this process every year, you're not mistaken. For eight straight years, the President's budget requests have attempted to cut or entirely eliminate funding for public broadcasting. For seven of those years, Congress has responded to massive public pressure and restored the funding. Let's convince them to do it again.

This year's proposed cuts are the deepest ever proposed by the administration. Even Patricia Harrison, a former co-chairwoman of the Republican National Committee who currently serves as the President of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), has called these cuts "draconian." In addition to slashing current and future funding, this year's proposal even tries to go back and withdraw funding already approved in previous years.

Practically every day we hear a new story about media consolidation. More and more, the free press that is so essential to our democracy is owned and controlled by a smaller and smaller number of mega-corporations. Never has it been more essential to have a publicly funded, noncommercial media outlet that provides thoughtful rather than partisan news and doesn't waste our time covering Britney Spears and the baseball steroids scandal.

In his last year in office, don't let Bush pull the plug on Bill Moyers, the NewsHour, Big Bird, and the Cookie Monster. Please read the petition below and then sign at right to tell Congress: fund public broadcasting.

In his last year in office, don't let Bush pull the plug on Bill Moyers, the NewsHour, Big Bird, and the Cookie Monster. Please read the petition below and then sign at right to tell Congress: fund public broadcasting.

I can't seem to find the link to read/sign the petition. Can you please post it again?

I really do hope that Dish takes a serious look at adding PBS soon. As you agreed, it's a great channel especially in HD :)

Thanks... it's been signed, sealed and delivered.

Also passed along to a couple of friends. It was good info. I appreciate it.

I was disappointed to realize after upgrading to Dish HD that the PBS stations here in Minneapolis were not part of the "local's" package. PBS has 5 or 6 stations here and they are really great.
Luckily, I have kept the antenna that I put into my attic about 20 years ago and it pulls in all of the local stations just fine. I was able to plug my antenna into the back of the Dish DVR's I have and they are displayed in the programming guide and are selectable by the Dish remote. Workin just fine!

Depending on where you live perhaps this could be an option for you.

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts