PBS Kids 24/7 this Fall Online and offered to stations

There is no national PBS kids feed, only local PBS kids schedules assembled by the local stations. This one will be a new national one. (I actually wonder if it will appear on 125W.)

- Trip

Reactions: jegrant
Louisiana Education Television Authority (LPB) has kids from 5-8 pm on the .2 stations with the remaining 21 hours Encore. Over the last few years the Kids version has actually started earlier...

Reading the article sounds like we all gonna get a full time PBS kids....I guess we'll have 4 pbs channels now...

There is no national PBS kids feed, only local PBS kids schedules assembled by the local stations. This one will be a new national one. (I actually wonder if it will appear on 125W.)

- Trip
I was wondering the same thing, will be looking for it, as my small kids watch PBS all the time.

Reading the article sounds like we all gonna get a full time PBS kids....I guess we'll have 4 pbs channels now...

it will be an option for stations to offer it. Doesnt mean they have to.
Its like any other PBS offering. Some stations offer Create. Here in Minneapolis it doesn't. (as example)

It would be cool to have it added here in Minneapolis. We have room on the 2nd PBS station. Here in Minneapolis we have 2 RF stations but they PSIP into one
RF34
2-1 PBS
2-2 Minnesota Channel
2-4 weather (maps & local noaa wx radio station)

RF23
2-3 2nd PBS

They could add it to RF23. Also kinda bummed they havent added 1st Nations Experience...we have a HUGE Indian community here (Mdewakanton Sioux) so figured it was something that they would add

Reactions: N5XZS
it will be an option for stations to offer it. Doesnt mean they have to.
Its like any other PBS offering. Some stations offer Create. Here in Minneapolis it doesn't. (as example)
hum when you mention option and does'nt mean stations have to offer it. I already know that answer here in the Lafayette market. Subchannels have been offered to the KATC's, Fox 15 Drama Mux, and Delta Media's Stations and well for the Most Part no was said or in KATC's answer we just HD's the CW station but whatever.

However being that so many people watch pbs kids 3 hour block in Louisiana I am pretty confident that it will be added fully.

So I suppose KLPB 24 Lafayette would look like this IF and WHEN it launches
24.1 PBS (LPB HD)
24.2 Encore (24 hours no kids 3 hour block) (LPB 2 SD)
24.3 Create (LPB 3 SD)
24.4 PBS Kids

hum when you mention option and does'nt mean stations have to offer it. I already know that answer here in the Lafayette market. Subchannels have been offered to the KATC's, Fox 15 Drama Mux, and Delta Media's Stations and well for the Most Part no was said or in KATC's answer we just HD's the CW station but whatever.
apples to coconuts here.
PBS is limited on what they can add. Its just the PBS options (World, Create, FNX, Encore, the "state" channels, etc)
All other stations can add whatever programming they want. ;)

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I agree with you on FNX, Iceberg - It's a hugely under-served group (First Nations people) and what I really like about it, is the FNX channel, unlike the other PBS channels, has mostly unique programming, most of which hasn't ever aired on regular PBS nor anywhere else in the USA. So it would really add another option for something to watch, instead of being a "rerun channel". I keep hoping the FNX channel will get picked up as a satellite Public Interest channel. I think it would qualify because PBS no longer has any Public Interest channels, and technically FNX is majority owned by an Indian tribe, so ideally the tribe would apply for carriage of FNX.

But, I think the new PBS Kids digital channel will probably do quite well and pick up a lot of affiliates. PBS stations in many areas didn't start their own Kids channels because they were given the opportunity to co-brand the former "PBS Kids Sprout" cable channel (which now is just Sprout and no longer involves PBS). So now that they have the opportunity to just plug in a national feed and have a Kids channel, I have to think they will go for it. But I could also see where stations might only carry the Kids channel for 12 hours a day (let's say 6 am - 6 pm or perhaps 7 am - 7 pm) and then carry Create, World, FNX, etc for the other 12 hours. Because it will be available online 24/7 (and from what I read, it will still have local station branding on the online stream) stations could just tell people who want to watch in the evenings to either use their DVR or watch the web stream.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I agree with you on FNX, Iceberg - It's a hugely under-served group (First Nations people) and what I really like about it, is the FNX channel, unlike the other PBS channels, has mostly unique programming, most of which hasn't ever aired on regular PBS nor anywhere else in the USA. So it would really add another option for something to watch, instead of being a "rerun channel".
when I lived at the lake house we had FNX on the PBS there (KAWB Brainerd). Watched a fair amount of shows on there.

But, I think the new PBS Kids digital channel will probably do quite well and pick up a lot of affiliates. PBS stations in many areas didn't start their own Kids channels because they were given the opportunity to co-brand the former "PBS Kids Sprout" cable channel (which now is just Sprout and no longer involves PBS). So now that they have the opportunity to just plug in a national feed and have a Kids channel, I have to think they will go for it. But I could also see where stations might only carry the Kids channel for 12 hours a day (let's say 6 am - 6 pm or perhaps 7 am - 7 pm) and then carry Create, World, FNX, etc for the other 12 hours. Because it will be available online 24/7 (and from what I read, it will still have local station branding on the online stream) stations could just tell people who want to watch in the evenings to either use their DVR or watch the web stream.
good point. We dont have Create here in Minneapolis (Twin Cities PBS said they would carry some programming on the 2nd PBS KTCI) so that would be a nice split. But I wonder if PBS would want stations to carry it 24/7?

I believe I have heard that stations who carry Create must carry it for at least 12 hours a day. I don't know what rules there are, if any, on the other PBS subchannels.

Does anyone know when channel 56 wtvs in Detroit mi market will carry pbs kids 24 hrs?
the station doesnt launch until "fall" so I'm sure once we get closer to September there will be more info
And a station doesnt have to carry it if they dont want to. Its just being OFFERED to them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)