PBS on 125°W is AWESOME! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
...Same so with Barbara Eden, but I kinda had a slight crush on Barbara because she was so pretty...

Kinda had a slight crush? Is that all? You feeling alright, boy?

Did you see her as the manicurist on The Andy Griffith Show?

Sheriff Andy Taylor (speaking to Barbara Eden's character):

"I don't know if you're aware of this, but nature has been mighty good to you..."

To which I can only say,

"Yeah, boy".

Kinda had a slight crush? Is that all? You feeling alright, boy?

Did you see her as the manicurist on The Andy Griffith Show?

Sheriff Andy Taylor (speaking to Barbara Eden's character):

"I don't know if you're aware of this, but nature has been mighty good to you..."

To which I can only say,

"Yeah, boy".

Well, even Andy Griffith struggled to be politely reserved in his description of Barbara Eden! :)

RADAR

We didn't get a color tv until 1970. So I was at grandma's house, a LOT, grandpa worked on a ship and made a lot of money and he bought a big console color tv.
My dad did well but he was just too cheap to buy one.

I wasn't even alive during all of what you are talking about but WRT the TV thing. We didn't get a color TV until the early 80s which was fine because we only got one channel anyway! The B&W TV we had before that was an old Electrohome (may be just a canadian brand) with tubes which had to be warmed up for a few minutes before watching it..........kinda like the cars back then! :D I remember having to get up from supper to warm up the TV before Disney came on Sunday evenings.

I remember having to get up from supper to warm up the TV before Disney came on Sunday evenings.

Ah! I remember something pretty similar to that with a B&W Sylvania. It popped up with a picture quite readily, but it took quite a while for the darn thing to stop "rolling" on the H-Hold or the V-Hold!

As bad as the TV itself was, it was still my fondest memories! When my folks finally did get a color TV, most of the best shows were still in B&W anyway! Like the Lone Ranger and Hoppalong Cassidy on Sunday mornings! There were others, but I always remember these two as they played the reruns for a long time, even after The Lone Ranger went colorized. Till this day, I still think that B&W shows and movies are the best to watch.

RADAR

OH, to go back to those days . . . .

I remember every Sunday night watching Lassie, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and The Wonderful World of Color.

Sometimes we would have pancakes or waffles and then watch these shows as a family.

Great memories!

Ah! I remember something pretty similar to that with a B&W Sylvania. It popped up with a picture quite readily, but it took quite a while for the darn thing to stop "rolling" on the H-Hold or the V-Hold!

As bad as the TV itself was, it was still my fondest memories! When my folks finally did get a color TV, most of the best shows were still in B&W anyway! Like the Lone Ranger and Hoppalong Cassidy on Sunday mornings! There were others, but I always remember these two as they played the reruns for a long time, even after The Lone Ranger went colorized. Till this day, I still think that B&W shows and movies are the best to watch.

RADAR
If it was rolling it was probably the vert. hold.
Many of the old sets had a feature which allowed the tubes to stay warm even when the set was off which allowed the picture to come on quickly. Probably didn't keep the vertical tube on though. My tube theory is pretty much nil but that seems to make sense based on my solid state experience. Those older sets had many more controls than most transistor sets. You had to have a basic understanding of TV theory just to run one!

Going back even further, my Mom remembers when she was a kid and her Father was the only one allowed to touch the "wireless" (she's from England) and they would only turn it on for certain programming. I believe it was battery powered. He had to go through some sort of ritual just to tune it in every time it was used. Pretty cool stuff!

I never saw color TV on a regular basis till the mid 1970's. By the time I was out on my own and could get my own TV set Color was pretty much standard everywhere..It was a real cool thing, after watching Batman (West/Ward) and the Hanna Barbera Cartoons in Black and White all those years to finally see them in color..

My parents were frugal and never bought a new TV until well into the 70's. We had old Black and White console type tv's, that sometimes needed fixing. You could take a tube down to the drug store and they had a machine with sockets that fit just about every type of tv tube. You looked up stuff in a chart, configured the machine for the tube, flipped switches and moved some jumpers and got a reading of good or bad. There was a cabinet beneath the tube tester, full of boxes of vacuum tubes you could buy to replace the old ones. If the selenium rectifier went, your tv poured out toxic smoke and you needed to get a repairman because they didnt' sell those at the drugstore. Vertical hold seemed to need constant tinkering.

Favorite after school shows were Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (I think??), Gilligan's Island, Batman, Emergency, Marcus Welby, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Get Smart, Partridge Family, Brady Bunch, Family Affair, Courtship of Eddy's Father, My Three Sons, The Odd Couple on I think Thursday nights. As mentioned by others, Disney on Sundays was the greatest.

I'm really enjoying the old shows on RTV. It got me back into Hawaii 5-0. I ended up buying the DVD sets to see the more recent episodes. I also like Rockford Files, Dragnet, Adam 12.

It was quite the surprise when I went over to a friend's house and saw color TV for the first time. I hadn't imagined what color some of the costumes were on Batman for instance.

Yup, things change. Now it seems like the microwave isn't even fast enough at times.

Yes, Electrohome is a Canadian brand. They were into some appliances, such as A/Cs and fans.

I remember having a 60s all tube Electrohome set in the 1980s.
All metal cabinet and chassis. It had a great sound to it, and the speaker tilted out to expose some adjustments, rather than have them clutter the TV face. You would push that secret clip at the top and the speaker would tilt out more, exposing the convergence controls, which I made an alignment grid for on my 8 bit home computer. My brother and I used that set on our C-64 computer, and I used it to watch Carson and his Colorful Curtains on occasion.

You could take a tube down to the drug store and they had a machine with sockets that fit just about every type of tv tube. You looked up stuff in a chart, configured the machine for the tube, flipped switches and moved some jumpers and got a reading of good or bad. There was a cabinet beneath the tube tester, full of boxes of vacuum tubes you could buy to replace the old ones. If the selenium rectifier went, your tv poured out toxic smoke and you needed to get a repairman because they didnt' sell those at the drugstore. Vertical hold seemed to need constant tinkering.

Oh yes!

I recall these times with my Dad! A trip to the Walgreens Drug Store to refurbish the TV was a "fantastic" journey for me as a kid and something that I will remember fondly forever as it was something that Dad and I could do together, as a sort of Dad and son bonding thing!

Not that I mean to toot my own horn, but this thread is a nice one for good memories! Thanks for joining in on it and enjoying it, too!

RADAR

Oh yes!

I recall these times with my Dad! A trip to the Walgreens Drug Store to refurbish the TV was a "fantastic" journey for me as a kid and something that I will remember fondly forever as it was something that Dad and I could do together, as a sort of Dad and son bonding thing!

Not that I mean to toot my own horn, but this thread is a nice one for good memories! Thanks for joining in on it and enjoying it, too!

RADAR

My dad used to be a TV & radio repairman, a long time ago. He had his own tube tester and stock of tubes.

WAIT!! This is it, exactly! I know it is, I sat and watched Dad use this thing over many years when I was little. (I was a very bored little girl.. :( )

img0689jpgw560h420.jpg

Yes, that's the one. I'm 100% dead certain of it. (OMG.... WHY do I remember this stupid detail?)

I remember once time Mom was off to Eastern Star (I was to young to attend with her) and the TV went out. So dad pulled the suspect tubes out and took them to the garage to test them. His tester was broken (for whatever reason I do not know) so we got in the car to go to Radio Shack to use their tube tester. Surprise, surprise. It was gone. They had taken the hulking beast out and declared tubes to be dead. Dad was mad as h*ll... I remember it though from once before, it was a big box that looked like a video game.

I *think* it looked something like this,

http://www.tuberadios.com/eico660/

Eico8.jpg

Dad still has all that old junk. I can't imagine why in the world he's keeping it. Real stone age technology...

Last edited:
My dad used to be a TV & radio repairman, a long time ago. He had his own tube tester and stock of tubes.

WAIT!! This is it, exactly! I know it is, I sat and watched Dad use this thing over many years when I was little. (I was a very bored little girl.. :( )

img0689jpgw560h420.jpg

Yes, that's the one. I'm 100% dead certain of it. (OMG.... WHY do I remember this stupid detail?)

I remember once time Mom was off to Eastern Star (I was to young to attend with her) and the TV went out. So dad pulled the suspect tubes out and took them to the garage to test them. His tester was broken (for whatever reason I do not know) so we got in the car to go to Radio Shack to use their tube tester. Surprise, surprise. It was gone. They had taken the hulking beast out and declared tubes to be dead. Dad was mad as h*ll... I remember it though from once before, it was a big box that looked like a video game.

I *think* it looked something like this,

http://www.tuberadios.com/eico660/

Eico8.jpg

Dad still has all that old junk. I can't imagine why in the world he's keeping it. Real stone age technology...

Dee,

What a blast! So cool! :)

RADAR

Dee,

What a blast! So cool! :)

RADAR

OMG.... I shouldn't do that at 4am in the morning. I just saw my typo and grammar disaster zone... Ugh..

So anyway, like the big machine, the upright thing, Dad doesn't own one of those, just the small one in the portable wooden box. He had all sorts of big clunky things like that and he drove his big, ugly black hearse looking thing for his TV repair biz. It was actually scary looking, I didn't like it and I was scared of it. I thought it looked just like "a dead people truck".. That's what I called it. I think it was something from the 40's, I have no idea exactly what.

Oh, I remember too, we had a green 1950's Stuedabaker (sp?). I remember it because Mom and I were in a wreck in it when I was little. Someone hit us and totaled it out. We were totally unhurt. As I recall, it didn't have seatbelts and the air conditioner ran on ice cubes. No, really. There was a thing you filled with ice cubes to blow cool air. It was good for about 10 minutes IF you put your face right in front of it.

Not very useful on the SE Texas Gulf coast in the middle of summer.
Ha! OMG... It would get so hot here. We would walk everywhere barefoot, even on the concrete and we would pop asphalt bubbles with our bare toes, the stuff would get hot and bubble up real big. For some reason it didn't bother us at all. But Mom would get really mad cause the stuff will NOT come off your feet. Except in the house. On the carpet. :rolleyes:

Speaking of antiques.. I am so into retro stuff. I love to wear and live retro. As much as I can afford to at least. If the opportunity ever arises for me to move away from here to a better place I want to do the new place full 100% retro.

I especially like oddball things from the past, like I would LOVE to have a few of these TV's.

dtvtransmain270.gif
tvphilco.jpg

supertv.jpg

I could run I Love Lucy on them, Alfred Hitchcock, etc.. :D Now that would be fun!

THIS would be my ideal living room.. ;)

thekwals.jpg

( Just replace the brunette with a red head... ;) )
( Oh and the kids, all grown up and moved out.. :D )

My dad was a TV repair man too. I used to go with him on calls and help him out when I was young. That's probably how I got my interest in electronics. My dad had the old tube tester too :) I used to play with it as a kid. Now most electronic products are throw away or you just need to swap the boards. No need for component level technicians these days very much. I do miss the good old days with tubes and such.

I own two tube testers. One B&K and one Eico. My two channel stereo in the back room is all tube powered. I built most of the components by hand. I also own a couple of General Electric, Admiral, Zenith, Hallicrafters, Telefunken and Heathkit AM/FM and Shortwave radios that I listen to a couple times a week.

Most good Guitar Amplifiers like Marshell and others are tube powered and still made today. There are a couple of manufactures in Russia, China and eastern Europe that still make tubes.

Dee, find out what your dad has collecting dust. I might be interested in making him an offer if he is willing to send it to me here in New Mexico.

OMG.... I shouldn't do that at 4am in the morning. I just saw my typo and grammar disaster zone... Ugh..

So anyway, like the big machine, the upright thing, Dad doesn't own one of those, just the small one in the portable wooden box. He had all sorts of big clunky things like that and he drove his big, ugly black hearse looking thing for his TV repair biz. It was actually scary looking, I didn't like it and I was scared of it. I thought it looked just like "a dead people truck".. That's what I called it. I think it was something from the 40's, I have no idea exactly what.

Oh, I remember too, we had a green 1950's Stuedabaker (sp?). I remember it because Mom and I were in a wreck in it when I was little. Someone hit us and totaled it out. We were totally unhurt. As I recall, it didn't have seatbelts and the air conditioner ran on ice cubes. No, really. There was a thing you filled with ice cubes to blow cool air. It was good for about 10 minutes IF you put your face right in front of it.

Not very useful on the SE Texas Gulf coast in the middle of summer.
Ha! OMG... It would get so hot here. We would walk everywhere barefoot, even on the concrete and we would pop asphalt bubbles with our bare toes, the stuff would get hot and bubble up real big. For some reason it didn't bother us at all. But Mom would get really mad cause the stuff will NOT come off your feet. Except in the house. On the carpet. :rolleyes:

Speaking of antiques.. I am so into retro stuff. I love to wear and live retro. As much as I can afford to at least. If the opportunity ever arises for me to move away from here to a better place I want to do the new place full 100% retro.

I especially like oddball things from the past, like I would LOVE to have a few of these TV's.

dtvtransmain270.gif
tvphilco.jpg

supertv.jpg

I could run I Love Lucy on them, Alfred Hitchcock, etc.. :D Now that would be fun!

THIS would be my ideal living room.. ;)

thekwals.jpg

( Just replace the brunette with a red head... ;) )
( Oh and the kids, all grown up and moved out.. :D )

Awesome!

Now you have reminded me of the movie "Blast from the Past"! If you haven't seen it, go pick up a copy and watch it. It's just fun!

In the movie, the Dad rigs up an old TV set and plays projector movies of "The Honeymooners" on it, but he made a slight error and the picture is a mirror image, so it is "srenoomyenoH ehT" Ha ha!

RADAR

Those were fun times where every bit of new Tech was appreciated and cherished.
look now with all this abundance tech that nobody Cherishes no more, just one more toy.
the word is coming to the end with boredom.

Dee-Ann, my ex-wife had been the victim of severe abuse for many years before I met her, and she would "go off" on me constantly when she watched TV and a news story broke about anyone abusing anyone or anything, if she felt a movie was 'too far over the edge,' or if an animal seemed to be injured on something we were watching ("no animals were injured during the typing of this response") until one day in near frustration I asked her if I had been guilty of these things, towards her or towards anyone that she'd ever known.

When asked by me if I had been the one that caused these sufferings towards others, she replied "No."

I asked her to try to refrain from acting in the future as if I had been the one to cause those injuries and sadness.

I am a fairly new member here, from the standpoint of time on the forum and postings, and you know I (nor WE) didn't do this to you, nor would we. But sometimes I read your postings and they make me very uncomfortable, to the point where I have to stop reading until I stop feeling the guilt you place on me (and us).

You have made GREAT contributions here, and we ALL read what you say with great interest, but I was raised Catholic, and the world knows WE ARE GUILTY OF EVERYTHING, even when we weren't there.

(Whew) ... this is hard on all of us. But read it in the manner it is written. Don't stop posting. But PLEASE, stop making ME feel so guilty.

Photto

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts