PBS on the chopping block!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
PBS exists to educate kids (edutainment) and adults.

At one time in the past that may have been true, but now some are using it as a political platform and not for the good. So they don't need my or others tax payer money anymore, let them stand on their own.

I'm not trying to start a political debate or argument, I'm just trying to point out the absurdity of our priorities.

Dee, I'm not trying to be deleterious here, so please don't take this the wrong way. Exactly how absurd something sounds depends on one's views; political, philosophical, ethical, etc... What may be completely insane to you may be the exact opposite to someone else.

I stepped away from satelliteguys for a while because I didn't agree with some things that were being said. Then I realized that everyone has a point of view, and a reason for believing the way that they do. They are not always going to agree with me. As such I am going to try to stay away from anything controversial in my posts.

I too like some of the shows that PBS airs, but I also like commercial and pay television. Perhaps those of us that like PBS and would like to see them continue should take that $10 or $20 and instead of sending it to Uncle Sam to decide how to use it, send it directly to PBS or an affiliate during one of their fundraisers. Likewise, those of us that don't want our money spent on PBS can simply not send it in.

The public has voted with their wallet. They voted to spend their money on cable/satellite instead of helping to support PBS if they are receiving less support. As another guy mentioned in this thread, there are alternatives now where there may not have been in the past. There is a lot of content on the internet that is educational. Things are changing.

Well, I think it would be a dis-service to the nation to lose them, but there are many people whose first priority is not " of the people" , as Abraham Lincoln so eloquently spoke. "and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth" .

We cannot fund every good idea.

At one time in the past that may have been true, but now some are using it as a political platform and not for the good. So they don't need my or others tax payer money anymore, let them stand on their own.

Exactly how many see it. If people wanted it, they'd watch it. Since there is limited viewership, why should everyone be taxed to continue support? And after the events of PBS et al over the last few months, the last shreds of non-partisanship have been stripped away.

Plenty of "educational" stuff on various networks. Or should we force people to watch what a few determine to be "good for them?"

I think PBS does have great educational programming for kids and I like how it's minimal advertisement. I used to send $ in their fundraising drives until I actually visited one of their studios (here in Atlanta). It was ridiculous how much excess/elegant that building was.... (I mean really!) How many tax-payer funded flat panel big screens do you need in the lobby? Could you not settle for something less than a granite marble table-top for the receptionist desk? A modest/professional building, in my opinion, would suffice. They don't need something that beats a 5-star hotel!

This is why we can't let for profit corporations get control of PBS. :eek:

Attachments

• sZTGI.jpg
    sZTGI.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 120
Oh, and to try to put things in perspective, here's that scientist guy Tyson, talking about the budget of NASA vs the war machine. And just think, the PBS funding is a fraction of a fraction of what NASA gets. The pennies out of pocket for PBS are so minuscule that no one would be able to point them out in the pile...

Thank you Mr. Tyson. :)

Attachments

• t0WyY.png
    t0WyY.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 124
removed the big time political and off topic comments

lets try and keep it on topic folks

Last edited:
PBS is one of my favorite stations. I like the Antique Road Show and the travel programs. Also, the beautiful concerts and classical orchestra performances they have once in a while.

They'll still be there. Those are the national feeds
Unless you were talking about LPB, OETA and Montana PBS

OETA won't be going anywhere. That sat signal is how it is distributed around the state to the other three main transmitters and the dozens of translators

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)