PBS on the chopping block!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Some of you guys are getting a little out of control. This discussion is morphing into a discussion of personal and political views, and has little to do with FTA.

yep I agree...and its getting very close to being shut down

Look, I don't mean any disrespect to people from Louisiana. I was just using the Swamp People thing to illustrate a point. That kid on there (Willie?) with the missing tooth said to the camera on one episode "I ain't got no learnin, I can't read, write or do math but I know the swamp." And it was subtitled. As are a lot of the participants.

And there are the two chuckling brothers on there, the real life Beavis and Butthead brothers. OMG. Beavis and Butthead with GUNS... :eek:

I can't understand why people are so steadfastly against education and improving their lot in life.

Well, whatever.... You can lead a horse to water..................

I have absolutely zero desire to watch PBS programming. I have no interest in it and if PBS went dark tomorrow not only would I not care, I probably wouldn’t even notice. As much as I despise them, I have no problem with PBS existing, but they should be entitled to exactly zero dollars of tax money. It should be up to them to survive on their own, not handouts from the government. Be it having semiannual beg-a-thons like they do, commercials, whatever, it’s their job to find a way to survive. Nowhere in the Constitution do I see anything about proving funding for PBS. The federal government has two purposes, to enforce the Constitution and to provide a national defense system. And you are 100% damn right if you think I’d rather see money go to our Military operations to ensure our safety and liberty then some lousy TV channel that can't make it on it's own.

yep I agree...and its getting very close to being shut down

Agreed. I haven't said diddly-squat about this subject since my views would add nothing of substance to the discussion regarding PBS on FTA. Rather, my comments would only serve to hurt the feelings of several well-intentioned, although misguided and inexperienced, individuals. I feel we have crossed the "Political Boundary" too many times to let this thread continue. ;)

Well, I still think it would be tragic to lose PBS. They have some GOOD, high quality stuff that you can't get anywhere else.

I watch PBS mainly for two reasons
-reruns of Red Green
-one of the PBS stations here in MN has a nightly newscast. I watch that since the weather near the cabin is different than here at home and they can show more relevant stuff (the station is 1/2 hour away versus Minneapolis which is 2 hours away)

The last "program" I watched on there was the finale of "Baseball"

The only new shows I watch on PBS (occasionally) are Nova, Nature, and History Detectives. Same kind of shows they run on History, Discovery, and TLC if you take away the reality shows. They do have a good supply of older (some much older) shows that I sometimes watch such as Red Green, good old Bob Ross, This old house, etc...

Cooking shows on PBS are much better than the food network. The British comedies are also excellent as are nova and frontline. PBS could survive without tax money and commercials just like Turner Classic Movies.........but our cable/satellite bill would rise as well. Kids want their Sesame Street, Barney, etc. :)

OK, now were talking. Just read responses from Iceberg and LoTech. If PBS carries the Red Green show then we have to save it!

Seriously folks, PBS does carry some great programming, maybe not to everyones liking. But hate to see it go politics aside.

OK, lets keep this in perspective. Are there any other PBS stations in financial trouble other than those already discused in this thread? To my knowledge Nebraska Public Television is still in good shape and also broadcasts FTA via satellite. My opinion would be for those interested in keeping PBS alive to focus their support on the stations still broadcasting. Personally I think in a small way this thread has already done some good.

And yes Red Green is one of my all time favorites, even if it's Canadian based! Red Green, now that's a quality educational program, "duct tape 101" (meaning 101 things around the house you can fix with it)!:D

......Many countries in Europe REQUIRE you to speak 12 languages before you can graduate high school. ......

REALLY?
Do you really believe "12 languages" before graduating high school? Where? I daresay few people in this world can master 12 languages. Didn't we just make a big deal over a pope who spoke something like 7?

And Iceberg- you say to keep politics out of it. Yet you are allowing comments about "war machine" and such, and "stupid people have guns" yet not allowing opposing comments about the logical extension of what some comments would entail.

I'd say YES- it's well past time this thread was closed. And without deleting this post.

Before the thread gets closed, I'd like to leave everyone with a quote from Smokey and the Bandit that we could all heed once and a while.

"When you say something, how ignorant you sound depends on what section of the country you're standing in." -- Bo Darville aka The Bandit

Remember, we all sound ignorant to somebody.

Everyone should really seek to learn more about the world, other people, other countries.
Having more knowledge is never a bad thing.

(Oh and my European friends are still asleep. I'll get back with you on the education question later when they get online.)

Peace and prosperity to all.. :)

Has PBS actually been chopped? I tried tuning in to the HD East and West transponder and it was gone. One of the feed transponders was working. The TP with World and Create was bouncing from 83 percent Q to zero and then back up again.

Has PBS actually been chopped? I tried tuning in to the HD East and West transponder and it was gone. One of the feed transponders was working. The TP with World and Create was bouncing from 83 percent Q to zero and then back up again.

All PBS channels on 125 coming in great here in Texas on a 1 meter primestar.

PBS has not been chopped. The question is, should it be? Could it make it on it's own? Should everyone pay for something few utilize? It's a microcosm of the same question for just about every line item in the federal budget.

I think we all agree it has quality programming. It's just a matter of who pays. And yes, I'm a big fan of Red/Green. We can only see it when we camp and can get MPT.

Status
Please reply by conversation.