PBS to DBS: Carry Our HDTV Signals!

This has come about because of decreased funding. If they didn't have their 'sponsor promo's' the people who enjoy PBS, such as myself and many others, would not be able to see what we do see.

Then go fully commercial, rather than pretending to be what they no longer are. Anyway, they were funded to provide programming that would not be available elsewhere. That is no longer true. Cut off the cash from taxes, quit the pledge drives, compete commercially or let Big Bird move to Nick or somewhere.

not anymore...changed recently. I posted it on 2/3
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=88569

2-1 is now KTCA SD
2-2 is PBS HD

it use to be 2-1 was PBS HD channel and that was it
17-1 was a SD version of KTCA 2 (we have 2 PBS stations in Minneapolis)
17-2 is the MN channel
17-3 is TPT kids
17-4 is create
17-5 is weather radar 24/7

yes but 2-2 is the national feed no local stuff at least on charter cable.

correct. 2-2 is the HD feed but they just screwed with the bandwidth by putting a SD version of KTCA 2 on there. It use to be on 17-1 (and still is there too)

Then go fully commercial, rather than pretending to be what they no longer are. Anyway, they were funded to provide programming that would not be available elsewhere. That is no longer true. Cut off the cash from taxes, quit the pledge drives, compete commercially or let Big Bird move to Nick or somewhere.
1. Ken Burns' entire body of work
2. Nova
3. Sesame Street
4. Great Performances
5. American Masters
6. Documentaries too numerous to count

This is just off the top of my head, deliberately omitting any news or political programming, to keep any biases about that out of this conversation. I'm not even saying this is their 'best stuff,' or their 'best stuff in HD,' but they're all things we never would have seen on TV at all if it weren't for PBS. It's that simple.

Any serious evaluation of the programming contributions of PBS make them one of the most significant broadcasters ever. Even without anything else, PBS' commitment to delivering thoughtful, entertaining educational programming to generations of young people demonstrates their value as a publicly-supported broadcaster.

1. Ken Burns' entire body of work
2. Nova
3. Sesame Street
4. Great Performances
5. American Masters
6. Documentaries too numerous to count

This is just off the top of my head, deliberately omitting any news or political programming, to keep any biases about that out of this conversation. I'm not even saying this is their 'best stuff,' or their 'best stuff in HD,' but they're all things we never would have seen on TV at all if it weren't for PBS. It's that simple.

Any serious evaluation of the programming contributions of PBS make them one of the most significant broadcasters ever. Even without anything else, PBS' commitment to delivering thoughtful, entertaining educational programming to generations of young people demonstrates their value as a publicly-supported broadcaster.
Don't forget:
1. Nova
2. Frontline
3. Nature
4. Voces
5. This Old House
Their Tuesday evening programming is must see for me.

You do understand that programs like Sesame Street can easily compete in the commercial marketplace? In fact, I think they've had offers from other networks. Their good stuff can migrate to other networks. There are plenty of networks today that support programming of this sort. Or they can go commercial themselves. I've just come to believe their time has passed and they should no longer be a taxpayer funded charity case.

In OKC, PBS sends a fiber to Cox with a 24 hour HD feed, undiluted. See here. That's extending preferable treatment to a commercial provider, to the exclusion of competitors. OTA HD has to squeeze into the airwaves with the stupid subchannels.

Idaho Public Television does the same thing (separate fiber cable with 24 hour HD programming and COMPLETELY different programming from the OTA signal). But someone in there is not allowing nearly enough bandwidth and the compression artifacts are downright attrocious. And I mean attrocious, not in the 1440 Voom kind of way that people whine about here, but more in the almost MPEG1/VCD type of compression. Static images look pretty good but any motion looks horrible.

I will gladly take the small block of promos right prior to the top of the hour compared to having commercials throughout a program. I HATE commercials, and I hate them even WITH a DVR. I dont know how many $s are alloted to funding PBS, but I bet it is less than what it takes to fund 3 minutes worth of 'programing' in Iraq. I very much appreciate that an entity such as PBS exists, and i wish it was FULLY funded by tax dollars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)