PBS You goes dark Wednesday, 12/15

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is one of the best arguments for Ala Carte programming... to get rid of the channels that nobody watches and free up some bandwidth..

Jerry

Is PBS pulling the plug or is Directv pulling the plug? The calendar of programming shows that PBS has programming scheduled for the 16th.

According to the link provided, it is PBS that is shutting it down due to lack of financial resources to continue it.
D* is replacing it with the Christian Television Network, E* has not announced what they will be replacing it with.

For those thar don't wish to read the link:

PBS is pulling the plug on PBS You 1/31/06

Dish is pulling the plug pm PBS You "After the hollidays" no replacement announce yet.

DirecTV is pulling the plug 12/15/05 to be replaced with CTN. (Christian Television Network)

BTW CTN is a part time Channel on Sky Angel channel 9702 right now.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
damaged said:
Christian Television Network? Great, _another_ useless channel begging for your money....

OY....

Don't we already have enough of those? :(

1st PBS kids, now this...

I wasn't a huge fan of the channel but it was something in english on FTA. Maybe they'll brink PBS Kids back (yeah right!)

Kaluyen said:
D* is replacing it with the Christian Television Network

I'm not anti-religious programming but I count 9 religion channels in the TotalChoice current lineup. It seems like overkill for a segment that I assume gets poor ratings compared to what could be in that bandwidth. SkyAngel probably does a better job at delivering programming to this market.

Last edited:
They probably are replacing it to keep up their required "public interest" channels. If E* doesn't replace it, then they've probably still got enough channels to meet their requirement.

Of course they couldn't do something useful like adding CNN International. Instead they have to add another useless religious channel that nobody will watch. And of course they already have too many religious channels. If they would dump about half of those religious channels and dump most of the shopping channels to boot they would have a much better service.

JosephB said:
They probably are replacing it to keep up their required "public interest" channels. If E* doesn't replace it, then they've probably still got enough channels to meet their requirement.
There is no requirement for a set number of so-called public interest channels. Besides that, I would argue that a religious channel is not a public interest channel. It's more like a public disinterest channel.

Something happened with CTN, and so they are going to keep broadcasting PBS You until it gets resolved.

john262 said:
There is no requirement for a set number of so-called public interest channels. Besides that, I would argue that a religious channel is not a public interest channel. It's more like a public disinterest channel.

You are correct in stating that there is no requirement for a "set number" of PI channels. However, there is a requirement that 4% of the U.S. DBS bandwidth on E* and DirecTV be reserved for PI channels. There is also a requirement that each PI channel get the same bandwidth as the average channel on that satellite.

See the bottom of this page on the Echostar Knowledge Base for details.

See ya
Tony

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts