Pbs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

etherfreak

Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
I am wondering what kind of PBS stuff is on FTA. I know on the Cband there is PBS X in the clear analog. but most of the stuff on there is the generic programing (filler material) I am wondering if the ku dishes have PBS channels. I have not yet purchased a FTA system for mpeg 2, and I want to know if there are some PBS channels I can pick up. I live in norther California, in Mendocino county.

check out thelist (AMC at 87W)

numerous feeds of PBS National and Montana PBS on KU Band. Most of the PBS stuff is AC-3 audio so you need a separate audio decoder to do dolby digital. Montana PBS is regular audio and honestly, that channel RULES!

Lots of great "local" (well for Montana) programs but they are very well done

I did see that list. what size of dish do I need to recieve those feeds? also, could you name a few of the programs provided on those feeds. I am only interested in stereo, for I do not feel the need to upgrade to surround system. I know I need a reasonable size dish, for I am on the west coast, and that satellite is farly far to the east, and low on the horizon.

For the PBS stuff on AMC-3, I'd recommend a 36 inch dish with standard linear Ku LNB. Normally, a 30 inch dish would work for Ku, but PBS is a little on the weak side. You will NEED an AC-3 (Dolby Digital) decoder for the audio. It is not 5.1, it is 2.0 (stereo), however you will still need the decoder for all but Montana PBS.

I do very well with a 90cm Primestar dish. I pass the AC-3 audio from my Pansat 2700 to my Yamaha HTR 5930 receiver. AMC-3 is a tad weak, so opt for a larger dish.

so is there a unit that will do all that I need to recieve those feeds? or do I need two different units. if there is one, a link would be nice also, a link to a complete movable fta system that I could use to receive that feed would be nice.

Last edited:
The only receivers that I am aware of , that internally decode the Dolby AC-3 , are some of the HD receivers. Best one that I can think of is the Pansat 9200 HD ( $429 at GoSatellite.com, top of page ) . You'd also have to buy a motorized 90 cm kit ( several of our sponsors have those ) .
You might be able to get a custom bundle price.
:)

Etherfreak,
There is a review on the Neusat 9000 HD in the reviews section, http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/117397-neusat-hd-9000-receiver-review.html .
It's not really a very good example of a FTA receiver, BUT if you are mostly going to use it on AMC3 PBS, it might do very well for you, because it is typically CHEAP on ebay. Maybe members who have one could comment on it as a dedicated AMC3 receiver. It DOES decode the AC3 audio internally, and has a good HD picture for the PBS HD channel.

I have lost my audio on the PBS stations. I used to have it. I recently did a factory reset. Since I have rescanned, I have no audio. Other AC3 audio I am picking up just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)