mercury II clock inaccurate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

red2grass

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
SF Bay Area
Mercury II has two modes of clock, GMT on or off. If I turn GMT on and set my time zone, it is 20 minutes ahead. If I turn GMT off and just set the clock like any stand alone digital clock, it is very inaccurate. It runs slower and it is about 5 minutes behind in just 12 hours. Has anyone with a mercury II noticed this problem? How exactly does its GMT on mode work and why does the GMT mode have an offset you can program?

Mercury II has two modes of clock, GMT on or off. If I turn GMT on and set my time zone, it is 20 minutes ahead. If I turn GMT off and just set the clock like any stand alone digital clock, it is very inaccurate. It runs slower and it is about 5 minutes behind in just 12 hours. Has anyone with a mercury II noticed this problem? How exactly does its GMT on mode work and why does the GMT mode have an offset you can program?

I don't have an answer to all your questions but mine does the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with your satellite receivers.
The problem is in the design of any receiver to use satellite received time signals instead of a common VCR type clock, which can be set manually and left alone. IF you are not on a satellite that has a compatible time standard,
receivers have no reference to lock onto, and will freewheel in many varied directions. The Pansat 3500SD has a clock that is not tied to this standard,
and actually keeps correct time, to shoot down the myth that all Pansat receivers have this problem. Check with each manufacturer on how the receiver time is maintained; if you have a motorized system, problems will start the second you move off of a satellite with proper reference.

My Merc II does the same thing. I just figured that something had to be lacking on it since everything else about it is so great! :p

mike, the mercury II has a setting to use tp provided time or internal clock. obv if your using the tp time it floats all over the place, unsure why uplinkers dont use gmt, but they often dont.

if you set it not to use tp time and disconnect the coax, the time will be off within 24h.

They save cost on these by not including a regular clock circuit. My Pansat 2700 is all over the place too. I learned to ignore it.

Me , too ! :)
In fact I have to laugh because so few receivers HAVE an accurate clock. I remember reading one of Iceberg's reviews, and he commented that the receiver clock actually WORKED ! What a novel idea. I think that might have been the VisionSat review.

:)

Brent

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)