PC QAM tuners

monk3yboy

Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Hello all. I was wondering if you knew which channels are clear QAMed so as to work with a pc QAM tuner (in KS). I was debating either the myHD MDP-130 or the Fusion HDTV5. I have the STB box right now and get like 15 or so channels in HD. I was hoping to get the locals and if possible, Discovery and MHD. Is it just a dream right now to have a HTPC PVR solution for this or am I going to have to wait for the OCUR units with CCs in them to get those to work.

Hello all. I was wondering if you knew which channels are clear QAMed so as to work with a pc QAM tuner (in KS). I was debating either the myHD MDP-130 or the Fusion HDTV5. I have the STB box right now and get like 15 or so channels in HD. I was hoping to get the locals and if possible, Discovery and MHD. Is it just a dream right now to have a HTPC PVR solution for this or am I going to have to wait for the OCUR units with CCs in them to get those to work.

I don't know about the KS area, but mostly the clear channels are the local hd ones.

In the Cincinnati Area the unencrypted QAM channels are

Local NBC (HD)
Local NBC Weather Plus (SD)
Local CBS (HD)
Local CW (SD) <<Sub-channel of CBS HD
Local ABC (HD)
Local Fox (HD)
Local "The Tube (VERY - SD) << Low res sub-channel of local fox)
Local Ohio PBS (HD) <<Shows PBS HD National content, not local NTSC PBS channel)
Local Ohio PBS Create (SD) << Sub-channel of PBS station
Cable Ohio PBS Kids "Go" (Very SD) <Cable channel
Cable Ohio PBS Learn (SD) (Mostly same content/Schedule as local PBS OTA)
Cable Ohio PBS Teach/Ohio Statehouse (SD)
Local Ky PBS KET 1(SD)
Local Ky PBS KET 2 (SD)
Local KY PBS KET 3 (SD)
Local KY PBS KET HD (HD -- when this one goes on all the other KET go away)
Local KY KET 5 (SD) Ky Statehouse
Local KY KET 6 (SD) Ky Senate

Cable Educational Access (SD)
Cable Public Access (SD)
Cable Public Access 2 (SD)
Cable TBN (Educational programming 8am-4pm school days) (SD)
Cable EWTN ( Educational programming 8am-4pm school days) (SD)
Cable Local Government Access (SD)
Cable Metro Access (shared channel among the major area Access Centers) (SD)

TNT HD (HD)
Discovery HD Theater (HD)

This along with the standard complement of 26 NTSC channels (many duplicates of the HD) wraps up the lifeline basic package for $12 a month. Not a bad deal.

I have been using a "My HD" card for a couple of years.

See ya
Tony

12 bucks for all that HD?!?! dang. I was looking at just going with the basic and extended basic for 40 in hopes ill get to keep the hd but i may have to go back to just the basic

At least locally, the ultra basic pack offers the same HD as any other package until you get to the HD pack itself which requires a box or "cable card" (decoder box you plug into your TV if the TV has that feature).

The TNT and Discovery HD channels are pretty much extended free views with no set expiration date for now. Note that the TWC web site makes NO MENTION OF THIS. I found out about it just by plugging in the basic cable I got to the HD card. If you look at TWC's entire line-up the channels included in the basic pack are the Digital Value Tier and Digital High Def Value Tier channels. The web site makes it appear as if they are additional tiers. They aint. :) They are all essentially in the clear if you get any cable signal (basic or Lifeline) service.

See ya
Tony

Hmm on the Cox website it sepcifically mentions the HDTV in the digital cable tier and not anywhere near the regular. i wonder if i still have to have the digital cable package on my account to access it. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens when i get my myHD card in the mail and try it out.

The TNT and Discovery HD channels are pretty much extended free views with no set expiration date for now. Note that the TWC web site makes NO MENTION OF THIS. I found out about it just by plugging in the basic cable I got to the HD card.

See ya
Tony

You'd better hope nobody from TWC CVG reads this!!

They know about it. :) I work for an access center and regulatory agency for the local communities. We have confirmed that this is not a mistake. :) This is being done to have people upgrade to the useless HD pack (HD Net, HD Net movies, ESPN HD and INHD) for another $7 bucks which requires a cable box and at the same time lure people who don't want to buy or have any special equipment on their TVs. But BOY do I miss a DVR.

It almost worked on me until I did the math and figured out that TWC would have ended up much more expensive for the same programming I get on Dish.

See ya
Tony

FWIW, here in PHX the HD tier is free so long as you subscribe to digital cable. You do have to ask for it though. When I first got my cablecards setup (Tivo S3) I didn't get anything but the HD Locals. When the supervisor stopped by to check on the installer he had to call back to the head end to get the HD channels added.

The only QAM clear HD stuff here are the locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)