PC to STB comm via serial cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mountain Do

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Wino Country
After spending some hours now perusing postings and trying to find answers to what I THOUGHT would have been discussed ad nauseum ere this, I'm giving up and posting in hopes of not wasting any more time. I've tried several FTA receivers lately, with no success, so I'm tired of groping in the dark. I've not been able to find even so much as the comm-link spec's so that I am sure I'm properly configured. My 1st guess is usually 9600,N,1 but I've tried others with equal success (zilch). I would think that SOMETHING would at least spew graffiti on my terminal screen, but NO.

The receivers, if memory serves, have been:
Manhattan 1000
FortecStarMercII
GeoSatPro DSR-R100

Drawing a blank in each case makes me tend to suspect some underlying shortcoming (likely in understanding and/or expectations on my part). Is it necessary to have something akin to ChannelMaster rather than the simple terminal/telnet approach of Windoze Hyperterm? Unfortunately, CM doesn't list any of these boxes in its repertoire. I'm just looking to download the database, modify it to suit, and upload back. Saving the mod, of course, would make subsequent setup of similar receivers uber-simple, which was the original (misguided?) notion.

I'm prepared for the rebuff of Dr. Know-it-all: "You SHOULD have KNOWN!" - if that follows the desired enlightenment.

Thanks?

MtDo

Is it necessary to have something akin to ChannelMaster rather than the simple terminal/telnet approach of Windoze Hyperterm? ... I'm just looking to download the database, modify it to suit, and upload back.

Generally speaking, the boxes speak binary, not English. So some piece of software is practically a requirement to interpret and reassemble the data, like ChannelMaster. Fortec might offer some software of their own to do this. Regular terminal software is probably going to try to interpret everything as text and will discard non-printables. Or maybe one exists that has a binary capture option, I'm not sure.

I'm surprised to hear that it doesn't cover the MercII. It does cover the Lifetime Classic NA. Speaking of which, the NA does spit out a little human readable debug information on power-up. Maybe the other versions do too.

As far as knowing your configuration settings, my usual approach is to generate traffic from an existing piece of software, and extract the parameters from a visual inspection of the waveform. I'm guessing you don't have that luxury?

It also depends on the STB. Some use a null modem cable and some direct. More modern receivers also have USB. Pansat brand receivers such as my 2700A have channel editor software on their website that connects with the box to allow communication. My Diamond can use both serial and USB for channel editing and firmware. Most receivers out there have some editor or loader program available for it even from the dark side.

It helps to know what exact model STB we're discussing because they're not all the same. From that we can help with what cable and software. After that what comm port your PC uses is up to you.

Addendum

Thank you both for your quick RE's. I guess I should also have included in my list of attempts a Scientific Atlanta D9234 - not that it makes any difference.

Here's the clue that I've gleaned that I need to try: rebooting the STB with the comm-link in place.

I have noticed the USB option for some, but that's of no help w/ these old things. That, also, apparently involves a reboot if one is interested in flashing firmware, but - I digress....

I have straight-through DB9 serial cables in either gender, along with a null modem crossover, so I'm prepared for any eventuality, I believe. Still, what good are they if one cannot find the spec's for the expected parameters: speed, parity, stop bit, flow control, and then the multitudenous terminal options. All in all it makes for a tedious set of options to try if one is shooting in the dark.

[speaking of DARK -- Corrado -- by the "dark side" did you by any chance mean the nefarious hacker community?? ]

I guess the bottom line here is that my expectations (that a comm port labelled "PC" would by default be talking to some sort of standard terminal session by means of a rudimentary menu presented, with options to see/modify certain operating parameters, upload/download same, and flash updates to the firmware, some of those options involving binary transfer BY CHOICE) are not consistent with the thinking of the designers of these boxes. While the ports have been designed in, their intended use seems left in the mysterious realm of the factory engineers, as they don't typically even share the comm param's, much less describe subsequent operations.

Then there's the aspect of being able to download the necessary software from the manufacturer -- who may or may not even remain viable companies now. Well, for the GeoSatPro I have such a utility, but it's been written in such a fashion that its many options are hardly intuitive. More groping in the dark for want of logical design and documentation by the originators....

Anyway, I'll try the "rebooting while connected" thing, but in the absence of proper settings will be another lengthy session of guesswork.

Great Expectations... Not!!

Thanks again

MtDo

... my expectations ... are not consistent with the thinking of the designers of these boxes. While the ports have been designed in, their intended use seems left in the mysterious realm of the factory engineers, as they don't typically even share the comm param's, much less describe subsequent operations.

In defense of the engineers, :rolleyes::D it's going to be a management decision. The additional sales generated were this feature included would not cover the costs of the engineering time nor justify delaying the next project. I am certain that any of the software guys would add this capability if they were only allowed to. The basic feature list was to be able to update software and maybe programming data, and the company expended the minimum amount of effort to achieve that goal.

I do agree with you, however, such an interface would be incredibly useful. You and I are unfortunately in that neglected minority.

Now that we know what STB it is...The D9234 does have some setup parameters and remote operation interface possible with the serial port. Many of the business type receivers of that vintage do. I have an old Viacast box the has a ethernet type interface too. On that one you can access the box with it's IP address.

For more details on your project, take a read of the manual for the D9234 in the operators manuals forum. It has the info on your receiver and the serial commands.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=15392&d=1174530608

Last edited:
RS232 serial cable pinout information
the one you need is the one in the attached pic
i had to build one not too long ago to flash factory firmware back into a pansat 2700a that i got on ebay, and it worked on a manhattan skyline 1000 also
hope this helps,
Denny

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 245
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)