PCI Card or Wait for New Generation of FTA Receivers???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greyskies

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
sunny South Florida
Hey guys (and gals):

Just recently started viewing posts on this sub-forum. I had been loving the fact that I could catch the down-hauls from NESN on my Fortec receiver, until I noticed that I could not watch the channel, as it apparently is HDTV (4:2:2 or 4:2:0).

My question is simply whether I should buy a computer card and watch FTA over computer hooked up to a TV, buy one of those $700 (pretty expensive for this hobby) QualiTV receivers, or wait for a few months and hope that a new generation of receivers come out with expanded features, including HDTV reception and AC3???

If the mods here want to move this post to another section, no problem here. Just thought that members in this sub-forum would have the most informed opinions on this issue, since you folks are searching for these feeds all (well most) of the time.

greyskies in sunny South Florida

I saw a Twinhan 102g go for $40 shipped on ebay a few weeks ago. I think I am going to jump on one of those. My 1020a finally died. It has been sick for a while, so maybe it was best.

$40 is not too bad to try something out. If you don't like it, I am sure you could probably sell it for $20.

I agree with Timmy. It is cheap to get a Twinhan and try out 4:2:2 and HD via PC. I for one hope that the Mfgs will get around to making affordable FTA receivers that support these formats. But in the meantime, you can use a PC to cheaply enjoy these feeds.

timmy1376 said:
I saw a Twinhan 102g go for $40 shipped on ebay a few weeks ago. I think I am going to jump on one of those. My 1020a finally died. It has been sick for a while, so maybe it was best.

$40 is not too bad to try something out. If you don't like it, I am sure you could probably sell it for $20.

I might give it a try myself.. currently fleabay has em at $49.99 + shipping..

Speaking on behalf of QUALI-TV, since I have one. I got mine strickly for the HD and 4:2:2 abilities. But, you should know, it does not do a blind scan. You have to enter the frequency and symbol rate by hand. It does have frequencies pre-entered from the factory on most Satellites, but they don't do much good. And, most Satellites programmed in are on the other side of the World. Only a hand full are American Satellites. You can use the other Satellites, but there's currently no way to rename them. I use my Pansat to scan/search with, then enter the frequency and symbol rate numbers I find and do a scan with the QUALI-TV. $700 is a lot of dough, but I like what I got. I'm happy!!!
You'll probably be better off with a computer card........

Al

Using this Twinhan 102G + the correct codec for 4:2:2, can NBC on AMC1 at 103w be seen on transponders 11840/11880?

Any info on the discontinued Integra IT912?

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the discontinued Integra IT912?

The reason why I am more focused on the STBs is that if I recall correctly, either the Integra or the QualiTV, can't remember which, allows you to receive HD signals, but will output a picture to both HD and SD televisions.

With this advantage, I could hook up the RF Out cable to my Sony SD set, and not move my Pioneer 65" Tube HD (really heavy box) upstairs to my bedroom. Man that thing was heavy to get from Costco (no delivery service). Only two other options are (1) run 150 feet plus of cable and install new jack on wall where Pioneer TV rests, and bring STB to that TV, or (2) buy new HD TV.

If anyone has knowledge about the Integra (still available used) and/or which unit allows you to receive and view HD signals on SD TV, please advise.

greyskies in sunny South Florida

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Yes. They are feeds though and come and go.

Thanks for the info. Just got one on ebay (5800936472) for $40.00 + $3.30 tax with free shipping. :D

pro-96 said:
Thanks for the info. Just got one on ebay (5800936472) for $40.00 + $3.30 tax with free shipping. :D

Today I got the Twinhan 102G (one day service aint too shabby) ... so it's time to play with a new toy tonight. :D

It will go into a P4 3.0@3.93GHz + 2GB Ram.. you guys think it's enough juice?? LOL

I got a 102G the other day. Great fun!

That machine should handle it just fine.

The tuner is not as sensitive as my Fortech Lifetime Ultra, and it lacks a lot as far as helping you tune your DIsh, but it does get 4:2:2 which is great as I can watch HD feeds. :D

pro-96 said:
Today I got the Twinhan 102G (one day service aint too shabby) ... so it's time to play with a new toy tonight. :D

It will go into a P4 3.0@3.93GHz + 2GB Ram.. you guys think it's enough juice?? LOL

First he gets a great deal on the card (over what I paid) and now he has the fastest computer! :rolleyes:

Seriously, HD should look great on that setup. :)

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
First he gets a great deal on the card (over what I paid) and now he has the fastest computer! :rolleyes:

Seriously, HD should look great on that setup. :)

Fastest???????????? ;) nahhhh

I've seen puters well over the 4GHz barrier with extreme cooling.. mine is in the minor league's.. trying to make it to the Majors :yes

Hey guys, since im new to this DVB card thing.. Does NBC have HD at 103w?

Scott Greczkowski said:
I got a 102G the other day. Great fun!

That machine should handle it just fine.

The tuner is not as sensitive as my Fortech Lifetime Ultra, and it lacks a lot as far as helping you tune your DIsh, but it does get 4:2:2 which is great as I can watch HD feeds. :D

To my knowledge, 4:2:2 has nothing to do with HDTV, and the 4:2:2 NBC feed on 103 degrees for sure is not HDTV.

pro-96 said:

Sorry to to be a downer (although I love it :)), but this machine will still not be able to play the highest bitrate 1080p WMV9 and MPEG4. Unless you buy a dedicated video card that does that, but then you wouldn't need that powerful machine. There's always a new challenge around the corner...;)
For FTA HDTV (PBS-HD) you only need half the power you've purchased. It plays no problem even on my Athlon 1800+.
Nevermind, though, it never hurts to have a faster machine. I am very satisfied with my P4 3.0@3.6 Ghz. Mainly beacause it allows me to do something else in the background while watching and recording TV. That memory you have will actually be the most useful part of your HTPC.

1 Step at a time.

Just picked up a Nexus-S card locally here in Miami, at FutureVision Satellites. Next step to decide upon a video card to run alongside the Nexus-S. I noticed that beeb just commented about not being able to run some HDTV unless one has a dedicated video card that can play the highest bitrate 1080p WMV9 and MPEG4.

Any suggestions for just such a dedicated video card?

Would like to shortly set up a dedicated pc for satellite tuning.

greyskies

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)