Peculiar issue since latest software

If it being on is a big problem have an Alexa? Use that (or just a smart plug) to automatically turn on the EHD sometime in the day and off sometime late night/early morning. Or just keep it off till you need it.

Your receiver is always on even when it is in standby . So, why does it matter if it is "on" in the mornings. I doubt that it uses any more electricity. My TiVo does not even have an off button, but you can put it in standby for whatever reason, I do not know.
For one thing, it could mean more wear and tear on the external hard drive when you are not actually using it to watch TV. Earlier, I thought (incorrectly) that it was not recording the one-hour buffer until I "woke" the receiver up. I just now checked mine this morning, after no other activity, and it has the full one-hour buffer, meaning that it has been recording Live TV the entire time, even though I did not turn the receiver on, and I was not watching it or interacting with it in any way.

Reactions: Radioguy41
Your receiver is always on even when it is in standby . So, why does it matter if it is "on" in the mornings. I doubt that it uses any more electricity. My TiVo does not even have an off button, but you can put it in standby for whatever reason, I do not know.
That's what I was thinking. Why make such an issue out of it?

For one thing, it could mean more wear and tear on the external hard drive when you are not actually using it to watch TV. Earlier, I thought (incorrectly) that it was not recording the one-hour buffer until I "woke" the receiver up. I just now checked mine this morning, after no other activity, and it has the full one-hour buffer, meaning that it has been recording Live TV the entire time, even though I did not turn the receiver on, and I was not watching it or interacting with it in any way.

OK, that makes sense

If you have a good quality media drive for the EHD it will probably outlast the receiver's useful life.

Turning it on and off is more dangerous than leaving it running 24/7 - most failure occur at startup not during run.

If you have a good quality media drive for the EHD it will probably outlast the receiver's useful life.

Turning it on and off is more dangerous than leaving it running 24/7 - most failure occur at startup not during run.
I agree, which is why I leave my EHD's hooked up all of the time, in spite of this issue with waking the receiver up. I used to have a 501, and its hard drive would spin down when it was in standby. Unfortunately, I would usually have trouble trying to get it to spin up again, requiring multiple pull-the-plug reboots sometimes. As long as I kept that receiver active with the hard drive running 24 hours a day, I would not have any problems with it.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts