Peculiar new guide issue

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
WVIA-TV (PBS), Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA changed it's frequency in December so of course I had to rescan (OTA via VIP211k). It scanned in three channels; 44.1, 44.2, and 44.3. Since the rescan 44.1 and 44.2 display the exact same guide information as 16.1 and 16.2 (ABC), also located in SWB. However 44.3 displays the correct PBS guide information. I suspect that's because ch 16 only has 16.1 and 16.2, not 16.3. It's only the guide that's wrong, the channels themselves are correct. I've rescanned several times but it always comes out the same. A complete reload of the guide does not fix it. A reboot doesn't fix it either. I've been waiting for it to correct itself but it hasn't. The problem is exclusive to Dish.

Since the problem only appears with the Dish guide I don't see how it would be a WVIA problem. Every other system I scan it in the guide/info is correct, only on the Dish guide is it messed up.

WVIA-TV (PBS), Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA changed it's frequency in December so of course I had to rescan (OTA via VIP211k). It scanned in three channels; 44.1, 44.2, and 44.3. Since the rescan 44.1 and 44.2 display the exact same guide information as 16.1 and 16.2 (ABC), also located in SWB. However 44.3 displays the correct PBS guide information. I suspect that's because ch 16 only has 16.1 and 16.2, not 16.3. It's only the guide that's wrong, the channels themselves are correct. I've rescanned several times but it always comes out the same. A complete reload of the guide does not fix it. A reboot doesn't fix it either. I've been waiting for it to correct itself but it hasn't. The problem is exclusive to Dish.

They do share the same antenna site with WNEP. (Channel 16 ABC) and it appears they started sharing the same channel (50) after selling their spectrum. As my guess, the scan is associating the virtual 44.1 and 44.2 with actual 50.1 and 50.2 which are the ABC stations. (16.1 16.2 virtual) 44.3 is correct because as you point out ABC is not using that. What I think needs to happen is for all the WVIA PBS to be associated with 50.3 50.4 and 50.5.
Are there any options to scan in different ways, I.E. to erase all existing, not erase all existing, scan one channel at a time? Are you on a guide that shows all channels, any chance they are showing up also as 50.3 .4 and .5?

As I mentioned above, I've tried all methods even down to a complete power off reboot. The Dish guide only shows what it locks on a scan. WVIA's actual digital channels are .3, .4, and .5 while WNEP's are .1 and .2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)