People are STUPID

the proper term would be ignorant.

There is ignorance and there is stupidity. I think many people are just plain stupid. In this case, I think I used the proper term referring to them thinking they were watching HD. Ignorant people can be educated and corrected. Stupid people often cannot be educated. They are just stupid.

Since I posted on this thread Charter has added an infants handful of new hd channels wich I have been watching those and discovery hd theater has decided to start showing some new content. Yes I can see the diference between the HD and the cleaned up SD picture on my set and I like it but I cant complain about most of the SD channels I'm getting either.

Something that seems to have been overlooked in this thread though is the fact that if you are here then you'r something of an officianado for A/V or an industry professional or both and that means we have a better eye / ear than the average Joe or Jane. We tend to be more up to date on whats out there and whats coming out soon, you'r neighbor on the other hand may still be struggling to program the clock on his vcr ( just dusted mine off to watch some old vhs I still have ) and most likely has his interests in another area other than tv.

A lack of information and stupidity are not the same thing.

We are looking at getting a satellite for our TV. The TV is about 20 years old and has been used only for playing videos as we didn't want to have to put up a 30 foot antenna to get a signal here and where we lived before we got no reception. (25 miles off pavement in the mountains of rural Idaho, over an 8000 foot pass)

We find if we want to buy a new TV it has some kind of chip in it because parents can't be bothered to manage their kids. So, we have to pay more. Now we have HD to think about. Why? All I want is a picture and sound. Baloney about 'sharpness' while viewing an electronic tube is foolishness in my view. NOTHING on a monitor or TV is sharp. It can't be. Not like I am used to in my photo work where the final photo is the size of the negative, from 8x10 inches up to 12x20 inches... with NO enlargement. Compared to monitors it is no contest.

Why can't we just get a picture and sound without the government getting involved in what kind of set I get if I buy new?

At this rate we might just say to heck with it and live without the noisebox for the future.

As for you opinion on 'stupidity', we run into your type at the stores and that has delayed our buying anything new this past year. Why deal with that attitude?

A lack of information and stupidity are not the same thing.

We are looking at getting a satellite for our TV. The TV is about 20 years old and has been used only for playing videos as we didn't want to have to put up a 30 foot antenna to get a signal here and where we lived before we got no reception. (25 miles off pavement in the mountains of rural Idaho, over an 8000 foot pass)

We find if we want to buy a new TV it has some kind of chip in it because parents can't be bothered to manage their kids. So, we have to pay more. Now we have HD to think about. Why? All I want is a picture and sound. Baloney about 'sharpness' while viewing an electronic tube is foolishness in my view. NOTHING on a monitor or TV is sharp. It can't be. Not like I am used to in my photo work where the final photo is the size of the negative, from 8x10 inches up to 12x20 inches... with NO enlargement. Compared to monitors it is no contest.

Why can't we just get a picture and sound without the government getting involved in what kind of set I get if I buy new?

At this rate we might just say to heck with it and live without the noisebox for the future.

As for you opinion on 'stupidity', we run into your type at the stores and that has delayed our buying anything new this past year. Why deal with that attitude?

The goverment is not mandating that you have to have a high definition set, what is happening is a change of the frequencie range that is used to transmit what you see and hear. When the change over goes into effect all you will really have to have is a television set with a digital tuner in it, it wont matter if its an LCD or plasma or DLP, there are CRT's out right now that are non HD that have digital tuner's built into them.

As for the sharpness well I disagrea with you and have to say that you most likely have never seen a high definition picture on a good tv, comparing a CRT regular picture to that of a good HD source on a good HD set is like comparing a polaroid camera to a field camera. What you see in most stores tends to be digital signal sources on the HD tv's wich is why this post has credit to it but I dont give credit to the poll that its based on becuase pollsters are never really random in who they actually poll.

I'll bet a majority of those 1 in 4 are libs/dems. :D

Nice way to throw a little lib/dem bashing in an otherwise non political thread.

Funny thing though, we do flat screen installs for a major retailer. In over half of those installs, the people that bought the HD unit, doesn't have a clue of how it works or actually care. They just like having a tv on a wall or bigger than their old one. Some if not most major retailers do not even sell non HD tv's anymore.

The best part though is that of the ones who don't care or don't want to learn the proper way to run it, are republicans or conservatives.

Nice way to throw a little lib/dem bashing in an otherwise non political thread.

Funny thing though, we do flat screen installs for a major retailer. In over half of those installs, the people that bought the HD unit, doesn't have a clue of how it works or actually care. They just like having a tv on a wall or bigger than their old one. Some if not most major retailers do not even sell non HD tv's anymore.

The best part though is that of the ones who don't care or don't want to learn the proper way to run it, are republicans or conservatives.

They are too busy being afraid of everyone and everything that does not conform to what they believe,:D.

Stupid or Ignorant

Some of you folks need to give society a little more credit. One of my hobbies is to learn and play with my home entertainment electronics. They need an electronics anonymous for me. It seems every weekend, something is getting tweaked and of course more money spent doing it or getting a latest gadgit to play with. Am I stupid, hect yeah, I read the posts on here and say "I need to try that set up" and starts the research of where to buy that new multiswitch or lets pull another cable or go and get a bigger ethernet switch and hook all my receivers up to the internet. For what? I have no clue.
Everyone of you guys here obviously has a simular passion. It may not be as obsessive as mine. My problem is I know just enough about satellite to get me in trouble. Do I rely on you guys for answers? yes. So does this make me stupid or ignorant?
Drinking and Driving well thats Stupid.
People getting confused and overwhelmed with all the choices for TV's today, thats Ignorant.
Reading and replying to this blog at 4:30 in the morning worrying about stupid things at work, thats Stupid.
Jim

The description above falls under the "ignorant" category.
1) Stupid - Lacks the adequate cognitive ability to understand or care about a particular subject.
2) Ignorant - Lacks knowledge of a particular subject.

I used to think most people were just ignorant. I have changed my opinion as I move on in life. :) This includes myself!

See ya
Tony

I get the picture....

Thanks Tony for straightening me out on this. I seem to have to agree with you. Working in the automotive business, most customers are ignorant when it comes to their vehicles. A percentage are stupid and they seem to be the ones who suck all your energy and waste your time. I don't mind explaining to my customers why their vehicle broke, knowing I will get the repair job. It's the stupid blood sucker ones who wants everything done for free and could care less about our ability to do it right. I chuckle at some of the installer stories here, I can feel for them when they walk into these same peoples houses and they want 20 rooms wired for free. And don't cut any holes or damage any walls. And of course they have a finished basement with drywall ceiling. And the installer needs to be out of the house by noon since the customer has a 12:00 jogging lesson and would be put out if they had to change or pospone their jog lesson. No wait, I think these people are past stupid, There's another idiom we use to describe them........
Jim
Now if I could just get spell check to work, I would be happy.

People are stupid?

Do i have to buy new equipment to switch from dishnetwork to Diretv? No you can use your cable box, or you can have your child (wife if no kids) run around counterclock wise with a wad of aluminum foil

Dumb?
Stupid?
Ignorant?
How about poorly informed?

I was recently reading some threads on a very popular forum, and the subject was the picture quality of various BUD satellite receivers.
We're only taking standard def, here, but the discussion was pretty serious.
I think the best receiver may have had S-video output, but I'm not sure that one was necessarily being touted as the best connection.
Lot of people were running composite video.
...and the rest were running through their channel 3 modulator .!. - :eek:

At that point, I could no longer take the discussion seriously, and lost all interest in the particular receiver and service being discussed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts