People considering DirecTv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jp3515

Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Ohio
My name is John and I live in Toledo, OH. I had DirecTv installed on Saturday 8/31. My appointment for installation was between 12:00 - 4:00 but I received a call at 9:00 A.M. on Saturday morning saying a technician was available now, so I told them to come at 9:30. The technician was on time and made sure to show me his ID badge even though I didn't ask to see it. I thought that was cool. Anyway, he came in and put booties over his boots and asked to see where the receivers would be installed. I told him I wanted to use the pole that is cemented in the ground to put my dish on since it was there from a couple of years ago when I had Dish Network. He said he couldn't use it because it wasn't the right size to hold the DirectTv dish. (I don't not want anything put on my roof) I thought I was going to have to cancel DirecTv because he said they ran out of the poles that DirecTv use a week ago. Then he had some kind of metal pole on his truck and he sawed it to the right length and we were in business. He installed one Genie and one mini Genie, got the pole in the ground and everything done in about 2 hours. Very good experience with the install and the HD is great. It rained pretty hard here this morning and for about two seconds it said something about signal, then screen got a little pixelated and then it said something about signal again for a second and then all was well. So basically no interruptions in a hard rain. When I had Dish Network it would go out it in a heartbeat. I am not saying anything other than my own personal experience. So, to sum it up, I am very happy so far with the install, the signal and the HD quality.

My name is John and I live in Toledo, OH. I had DirecTv installed on Saturday 8/31. My appointment for installation was between 12:00 - 4:00 but I received a call at 9:00 A.M. on Saturday morning saying a technician was available now, so I told them to come at 9:30. The technician was on time and made sure to show me his ID badge even though I didn't ask to see it. I thought that was cool. Anyway, he came in and put booties over his boots and asked to see where the receivers would be installed. I told him I wanted to use the pole that is cemented in the ground to put my dish on since it was there from a couple of years ago when I had Dish Network. He said he couldn't use it because it wasn't the right size to hold the DirectTv dish. (I don't not want anything put on my roof) I thought I was going to have to cancel DirecTv because he said they ran out of the poles that DirecTv use a week ago. Then he had some kind of metal pole on his truck and he sawed it to the right length and we were in business. He installed one Genie and one mini Genie, got the pole in the ground and everything done in about 2 hours. Very good experience with the install and the HD is great. It rained pretty hard here this morning and for about two seconds it said something about signal, then screen got a little pixelated and then it said something about signal again for a second and then all was well. So basically no interruptions in a hard rain. When I had Dish Network it would go out it in a heartbeat. I am not saying anything other than my own personal experience. So, to sum it up, I am very happy so far with the install, the signal and the HD quality.

Excellent, very rare that people post thier positive results and they are not complaints ... people read complaints and gloss over the positive.

That said, you should expect a positive result whenever doing any type of install, thus if you get what your asking for, it's expected and usually not talked about.

Btw, I live in the area if you have any issues, if I can help, let me know.

Just had mine installed yesterday. Have to say I'm impressed so far with how I've been treated by both the tech and customer service, they always make sure everything is to my satisfaction. My situation was a little different.

been with Dish for years because of my wife, she loved dish, I started hating it at the end. I had to beg her to let us go to directv, and even then she was hesitant. Called and got it set up on Aug 17, install scheduled for Aug 25. Well I called back a couple days later to make sure the order was setup right, turns out it wasn't. They had to redo the entire order and that made the install date change to Sept 1. Needless to say this didnt make me happy, and the wife wanted to cancel, but again, I wanted to try directv so bad that I begged her to be patient. The csr I spoke to said she could give me a couple discounts for the inconvenience and told me to call in when system was installed to see if we could get any other credits or discounts. So, yesterday came, tech was actually a little early and he installed a new pole right beside my dish one(different diameter). He was here for about 2 hours installing a HR44 genie and genie client. Very nice guy! Called last night to see about getting other discounts or credits. Supervisor was very polite and said the only thing she could do was issue a $50 credit on my account. She asked if this would be satisfactory, I said absolutely, I'm just glad to finally have it. Overall, very professional and great experience.

now, time to go cancel dish! :D

Last edited:
Thank you Jimbo! I will remember to call on a "neighbor" if I need an answer. I appreciate it buddy.

That was cool to get 50.00 off. I read a ton of negative reviews around the web and I am sure there has been some bad experiences but so far so good for me.

Got my installation of D* done last Saturday morning although my appointment was for 12-4 pm. Had 4 confirmations for that time even by phone call the night before. Was awaken by robo phone call around 8 am confirming appointment for 9 am, then 10 minutes after call from tech to say he was 10 minutes away. Told the tech I had confirmed an appointment 2 weeks ago for the afternoon but he said he had to cancel the order and I'd have to make a new date with Direct. He sounded very annoyed and since it was a minor inconvenience and he was close by I told him to come.

He explained to me that sometimes they make mistakes with the work order after I showed him my confirmation email. Before that he made me feel like I didn't remember my appointment time. He also complained about the need for the antenna to be mounted on the roof of my 3 storey apt, although I live on the top floor. Not sure what was a better alternative for him but when I told him I was moving from Dish and he could use that cable run he was okay after that.

He used all existing cable in my apartment so installation of a Genie and 2 clients took him less than 2 hours. During the installation he got a little more pleasant but not the friendliest tech I've ever met. I had to clean up some cables and splitters that he didn't clamp to the walls but everything worked when he was done.

Overall been pleased with the service and D* csr follow up. PQ is definitely better than Dish & I too have had typical S. Florida summer storms and picture only went out for a few minutes. Miss some features of the Hopper but the more I learn the Genie the less I miss Dish. Additionally, the new tablet app is really awesome, blows away the Dish app, if you not counting the Hopper's sling feature.

Well glad to hear some good things. I had DirecTV in the past and overall had a great experience. Never had an install issue, outage problem - I just hated the ever-rising rates when cable was dirt cheap. I decided to buckle down save some money and now it is time to return to DTV (just in time for my Sunday Ticket).

I'll be scowering for some great deals but getting the genie + 2 mini genies with premiere for $69.95 (first month) seems great to start with.

Well glad to hear some good things. I had DirecTV in the past and overall had a great experience. Never had an install issue, outage problem - I just hated the ever-rising rates when cable was dirt cheap. I decided to buckle down save some money and now it is time to return to DTV (just in time for my Sunday Ticket).

I'll be scowering for some great deals but getting the genie + 2 mini genies with premiere for $69.95 (first month) seems great to start with.

Hmmm, Cable rates go up again ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)