Periodically I'm losing audio on my Joey 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
Hi, I have a Hopper 3 + a Joey 3 and periodically I'm losing audio on my Joey 3. The only way to temporary fix it is to reset the Hopper 3. After the reset, the audio will work fine for a few days and then again I loose the audio. The audio lose is NOT channel related and it is happening in Live and Recorded programs. The Hopper 3 works fine without any problems. I don't think it is software version related as it has been happening with different versions.

Any ideas what is wrong with my system which is about 1.5 years old and for over a year I never had any problems.

Is there a Joey 3? I thought it was the Joey 2, then the 4k Joey and the wireless Joey.

Edit: on my Joey 2 the only time I sometime lose audio is on bad reception of OTA Channeks. Changing channels and changing back will restore it. If this is not your case then nvm.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I don't know, they call it Joey 3. Switching channels, very rarely the audio would be restored but I guess it is entierly a diferent problem.

I have Joey 1s and 2s sitting in a closet. I have a Joey 3 and a 4K Joey in operation. So yes, there are 1, 2, 3, and 4K Joeys.

I lease 2 Joey 3's; I gather they are quite a bit smaller than the Joey 1's and 2's. And Bobby, you forgot the wireless Joey. ;)

That said, I would think that a Joey sound problem might plausibly be fixed by rebooting the Joey, and not the Hopper. Did I get that right upsss?

Reseting the Joey 3 most of the time doesnt help, I have to reset the Hopper. Any idea what is the problem, is the problem with the Hopper or the Joey?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Get a Joey 2? JK

I'm scheduled to get a 4k Joey this week and truthfully I'm worried. I've had a few problems with my Joey but not the ones I've been seeing described lately. Maybe I should have just forgotten about the 4k Joey. I'm mean what am I going to watch with it? I never get any 4k on demand....

Reseting the Joey 3 most of the time doesnt help, I have to reset the Hopper. Any idea what is the problem, is the problem with the Hopper or the Joey?

Well, since I figured the Joey 3 reset would fix it, but you say it doesn't, I'm obviously maximally confused about this problem. I woudl have expected the sound and video to be multiplexed together onto the MoCA connection, and not separately where one data stream might get lost. So your symptom argues for something gong awry on the Hopper. I know sound and video sometimes get out of sync. Perhaps the part of the software charged with making them sync is buggy. I am speculating wildly and not really offering a solution. :(

Get a Joey 2? JK

I'm scheduled to get a 4k Joey this week and truthfully I'm worried. I've had a few problems with my Joey but not the ones I've been seeing described lately. Maybe I should have just forgotten about the 4k Joey. I'm mean what am I going to watch with it? I never get any 4k on demand....

You know what, I decided against it for now. When I get a 4k set if it seems like I need one I might do it. Until then...

I just contacted Dish "Help" and this is their BS answer.

"Thank you for your patience. It appears that this is something happening with the Hopper system at this time. Our Technical Operations team is already aware of the issue and is currently working on a resolution. These issues often require multiple account examples to isolate the problem, so your report will help. The timeliness of resolution depends on what the issue is and the resolution needed. We cannot guarantee a time by which this issue will be resolved. I've filed a report that you are having this issue as well.."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
Maybe someone from DIRT should chime in, I am NOT talking about 2-3 second lose of audio and maybe that what the DISH chat was thinking.

I really don't know for how long do I loose the audio and Dish didn't ask me. I never waited more than a 1-2 minutes before I reset the Hopper or simply turn off the TV on the Joey and continue to watch on the Hopper TV.

The 4K Joey doesn't have HDR so you're not really missing anything, even with a 4K TV. There's just not much 4K programming, also.
Part of the deal was to sign a new 2 year contract. Breaking the contract cost 20 dollars a month for the remainder. So if we decided to cordcut next month that's 480 dollars owed to Dish for nothing for day to day use. And there is a 50 dollar upgrade fee.

Once I did this math, it was pretty easy to cancel the "upgrade". It's not one in reality.

Reactions: HipKat