Phelps loses in world record time...but did the winning swimmer cheat?!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
According to this story, German swimmer Paul Biedermann had to swim in record time to beat him....BUT according to Phelps coach, he had the advantage of swimming in a suit that was a polyurethane version....:confused::confused:

Coach threatens to pull Phelps

Associated Press

ROME -- Michael Phelps sure looked out of place.

After bending over to accept a medal he wanted no part of, then listening to another swimmer's national anthem, Phelps tried to make his getaway. Not so fast -- there were still pictures to take.

So he straggled back to the top step of the awards stand, the place he knows so well. This time, it was already occupied. Phelps stood off to the side while Paul Biedermann was the center of attention and photographers snapped away.

The unheralded German pulled off one of swimming's greatest upsets when he beat Phelps in the 200-meter freestyle at the world championships Tuesday, also snatching his world record.

But no one thought this was a fair fight. In yet another twist to the never-ending saga over high-tech swimsuits, Biedermann acknowledged that his polyurethane version gave him an edge over Phelps, who stuck with his once-revolutionary LZR Racer. Phelps' coach even threatened to pull his star from future international meets unless the governing body acts with more urgency to get rid of suits that have rendered the record book obsolete.

"The suits make a difference," Biedermann said. "I hope there will be a time when I can beat Michael Phelps without these suits. I hope next year. I hope it's really soon."

Phelps can't wait.

"It's going to be fun next year," he said, "when swimming is back to swimming."

Phelps took his first major individual loss in four years, doled out by a swimmer barely known outside his country until he got to Rome. In the space of three days, the 22-year-old German wiped Ian Thorpe's name out of the record book in the 400 free, then he took down the winningest Olympian with a time of 1 minute, 42.00 seconds, nearly a second faster than Phelps' 1:42.96 at Beijing.

"Biedermann just took off," Phelps said. "He took it to a new level in that race."

But how much was the man? How much was the suit?

Biedermann wore an Arena X-Glide, which has taken its place alongside the Jaked suit as the fastest thing on water. Yes, even faster than Speedo's once-heralded suit, which battered the record book in 2008 but was surpassed by attire that's even more buoyant, allowing the swimmer to glide along the top of the water with less resistance.

Shortly before the race, FINA confirmed that a ban on bodysuits will go into effect next year, making this the last major competition where such suits are allowed. It will take effect by May 2010.

Not soon enough for Phelps' coach.

"We've lost all the history of the sport. Does a 10-year-old boy in Baltimore want to break Paul Biedermann's record?" Bob Bowman said after the race. "The sport is in shambles right now and they better do something or they're going to lose their guy who fills these suits."

Biedermann acknowledged after his 400 free win that the suit made him two seconds faster, but Phelps passed on the chance to wear one of the latest-generation suits. He's been sponsored by Speedo since he was a teenager and wasn't about to abandon the company that paid him a $1 million bonus after he won eight gold medals in Beijing.

A business decision that had nothing to do with Biedermann. He just went out in the best suit he could find, then beat the best.

"It's not my problem," Biedermann said. "It's the problem of FINA. They should handle it really fast."

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/swimming/news/story?id=4360589"]Michael Phelps loses in 200m freestyle final as Germany's Paul Biedermann sets world record - ESPN[/ame]

1 - It is swimming. Which is to say "water track and field". Only relevant in the Olympics, if then.

2 - Phelps reminds me of my least favorite athlete, Tiger Woods. A few years ago, Woods went in a slump, which everyone attributed to the Nike golf ball he played being inferior to other brands. He loyally stayed w***ed out to Nike and waited on it to catch up.

3 - So when Speedo had some superior suit, which, in terms of the record books, put Phelps ahead of previous generations and in terms of current competition, put him ahead of others who could not obtain these, it was fine. Now that another company has better Speedo, its a problem.

4 - Just go back to ordinary regular swim suits.

Pot smokin athletes? I thought they were only in the NBA and NFL.

The Olympics were watchable this year because of Phelps.

BTW he just broke a word record today.

Pot smokin athletes? I thought they were only in the NBA and NFL.

The Olympics were watchable this year because of Phelps.

BTW he just broke a word record today.

And the world yawns collectively.:rolleyes:

I don't care one iota whether Phelps smokes or not.

Color me unimpressed by any feat accomplished by anyone in aquatics.

Biedermann wore an Arena X-Glide

Ok, I think this whole thing is about the brands and who was wearing what. It is another trick to stretch the brand exposure in the media.

I don't care what swim suite they use. If they win because they had an edge of that suite or another, more power to them.

For example in motor-sport racing, the tires make a difference. I don't see coaches asking to ban the use of tires or certain brands. :confused:

If not interested....don't like....don't comment....pretty simple.....no need to be an a$$ about it......:rolleyes:

salsa,

I commented on the subject matter in the thread. I'm not a fan of swimming. Doesn't bother me if others are.

I gave my opinion without directing any personal barbs.

I kindly suggest you do the same.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
no one cheated. Phelps needs to get the new suit and quit crying. If they ban the suit, the new WR will still be in the books and he will be unable to break it.

no one cheated. Phelps needs to get the new suit and quit crying. If they ban the suit, the new WR will still be in the books and he will be unable to break it.
I agree, he's just excuse making for getting beaten.
New improved swim suits is nothing different than when runners get new improved running shoes, are basketball players get better basketball shoes.

Phelps had the same oppertunity to have a better suit, and has done so in the past.
He got beaten, and just came up for an excuse for it, instead of just saying he had a bad day. His immaturity is showing, he needs to be a graceful in defeat as Lance Armstrong was when he came in 3rd at the toure do france.

If people seem to think it's the suits, than just go back to the ancient olympics where they were all naked (are you listening women's gymnastics??? :D ).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)