Philips LCoS Technology - Anyone seen it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that Plasma prices are supposed to nose dive early next year. We'll have to wait and see, but the days of the old heavy CRT are numbered. :D

I hope the majority of tv's will be plasma in which you can hang up on the wall. When they start increasing production of these tv's it will help lower the prices of them to come down to nearly the level if not less than what the current televisions are in a matter of time.

Why would you buy something thats life is short. 3 years isn't long compaired to some of the CRT and other Tech out there.

I am sure as they make more of these that they will manufacture them to where they keep on having a longer life over time.

A_Noland said:
Why would you buy something thats life is short. 3 years isn't long compaired to some of the CRT and other Tech out there.

Thats an old wife's tale --- recent plasmas have a very similar lifespan to CRTs.

True. Plasmas don't fail after a few years, they don't burn in any more than a CRT would, and the plasma never has be to refilled.

Has anyone actually seen one of these?

Not only have I see one of these, but I see it almost everyday in my living room. I've been pretty happy with my TV which is the 55PL9773. It has great picture at almost any angle (TV also includes a swivel base to turn the TV). I would say std. def. looks pretty good on my 55" on cable or sat (DISH) and HD I am told looks stunning which I don't have until DISH gets their HD DVR [921] out. DVDs also look great. It's only about 18" deep.

If you want to see some pictures of this TV in action try some these links:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ahbecerril/id2.html
http://www.77degrees.com/misc/Philips_Cineos.htm

The Bad News is some the first TVs (inc. mine) that came out have had production problems and have some issues. The major issues are:

1. pin-cushion 4x3 display
2. purple push (sometimes) (mostly w/ very dark or black scenes)
3. Goes into "protection mode" sometimes

- Philips is halting shipment of all their LCoS sets at this time until all the these issues have been resolved.

- Best guess, the 55" set will be re-released in late November. The 44" set will not be released until "sometime in 2004".

Despite some of issues, I would probably still buy this TV again, but I'm pretty much used to having issues watching TV since I have a DISH DVR. :D I've been promised either Philips will fix or replace my current set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)