Phoenix Voomers-Cox Cable HD service

jbphoenix

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix Voomers-Cox Cable HD service after V* goes dark?

Seeing as how we will probably be losing V* after April 30th, does any of the Phoenix area Voomers have any experience with Cox HD service. Is the PQ good on local as well as the other HD channels? Just looking for an alternative to D* and E* if V* does go black. :no

I'm curious about Cox too. I've only had both my HDTV and VOOM for a month. I'm really going to miss the VOOM 21 (especially) and the other HD programing I've grown use to.
I looked briefly at Cox at the first of the year anticipating my HDTV purchase. They were I think about 80 some dollar per month with the digital package, HD package (tiny), DVR rental (but at least HD), HBO package (the other movie packages were additional) and Discovery HD (surprised it wasn't part of their HD package). For the same approx. monies VA VA VOOM was a great deal !!!
I have regular Dish network and 508 DVR (not HD) and I kept that for the DVR capabilities... and in case VOOM folded. If VOOM had continued on and brought out their DVR I'd have dropped Dish in a minute.
Now after Apr. 30th... I have the VOOM OTA antenna and SD Dish until I figure out what to do. But, I'm spoiled and it will take a long time to get over the drastic reduction in the HD I've come to enjoy so much.
I'll check back to this forum from time to time to see what other Phoenix VOOMers will be doing.

OK, heres the deal with COX for HD service:
(I already have COX high-speed internet and COX phone service)
$50.95 per month for digital TV service (includes one "tier" of programing that you'd prefer... like variety, sports, movies, or latino).
$10.00 per month for HD service (includes CBS HD, WB HD, PBS HD, FOX HD, NBC HD, ABC HD, all of which I can get OTA for free... also ESPN HD, iNHD, inHD2, Discovery HD now included, and Universal HD).
$10.00 for HD/DVR... a must I think.
$10.95 per month for first premium service like HBO.
$5.95 per month for each additional premium service.
$$$ per event or pay-per-view movie if you want them.

I figure it will cost me $81.95 per month for (questional quality ??) HD service, DVR, and one premium service.
VOOM (programing and quality) was such a deal...

I called Cox today and the pricing they quoted you is also the pricing they gave me as well. I already have High Speed Internet with Cox and the cost of my Internet service would go down by $10.00 a month with the addition of cable, so that will help on the billing a little. Because I already have the High Speed Internet service, I would not have to pay any installation cost as long as I went to the Cox store and picked up the equipment and set it up myself, which I prefer to do anyway.

I am going to go ahead and give this a try at the end of this month since I can rent the HD/DVR with no long term commitment and no installation costs. I will post my PQ finds on this site once I get everything hooked up.

I may also take the time and run a separate cable for the OTA antenna as I still have OTA receivers (not V* boxes) I could hook back up in case the Cox HD PQ for locals is not as good as OTA.

I am hoping for a miracle with V* being able to pull through, but deep down I truly think that V* will not exist anymore after April 30th.

I may do the same thing jbphoenix... mostly because there is no commitment necessary. You never know when something else might look better one of these days (like D or E taking on VOOM21 and offering a good, working HD DVR with a cheap rental fee).

I'm expecting that if VOOM wants equipment back they will only ask for the boxes. But even if they want to schedule a visit (on a saturday), they can take the dish and antenna too. The cable is run (thank you VOOM) and a new antenna isn't that much.

$10.00 for HD receiver (HD service).
Additional $10.00 for HD receiver/DVR combo.

RPacion said:
Does the $10 for HD Service include a receiver rental charge?
Yes. $10.00 HD receive includes HD package. $20.00 includes DVR & DVR services. However, they do not tell you there is an addition $2.00 outlet/service charge for each, so when they advertise $6.00 for digital box, $10 for hd box and $20 for hd/prv it is realy $8, $12 and $22 respectively.

False advertising.

bobaphx said:
OK, heres the deal with COX for HD service:
(I already have COX high-speed internet and COX phone service)
$50.95 per month for digital TV service (includes one "tier" of programing that you'd prefer... like variety, sports, movies, or latino).
$10.00 per month for HD service (includes CBS HD, WB HD, PBS HD, FOX HD, NBC HD, ABC HD, all of which I can get OTA for free... also ESPN HD, iNHD, inHD2, Discovery HD now included, and Universal HD).
$10.00 for HD/DVR... a must I think.
$10.95 per month for first premium service like HBO.
$5.95 per month for each additional premium service.
$$$ per event or pay-per-view movie if you want them.

I figure it will cost me $81.95 per month for (questional quality ??) HD service, DVR, and one premium service.
VOOM (programing and quality) was such a deal...
HD service is very good quality, plus you get a lot of premium channels, i.e. al Starz, 12 Cinemaxes c..

with 2 HD PVRS and 3 digital set-top boxes the bill with $40.0 internet is $172.75.

kfried001 said:
HD service is very good quality, plus you get a lot of premium channels, i.e. al Starz, 12 Cinemaxes c..

with 2 HD PVRS and 3 digital set-top boxes the bill with $40.0 internet is $172.75.

Well I went ahead and made the plunge to cable.... On April 27th I have scheduled an install for Cox HD service here in Phoenix. I can lease 1 HD DVR and 1 regular HD box (2 HDTV's) with subscriptions to HBO, Showtime and Starz HD channels, along with the other 11 HD channels (six of these are local though) plus another variety pack of SD channels for around $90.00 a month. This also allows for a basic cable hookup on my other SD set. No installation fee and no commitment.... It is not V*... but it will have to do until some other provider decides to bring more HD content to their line up.

Thanks kfied001 for letting us know about the PQ for Cox's HD service. I really hate to loose V*, but I guess we are all going to have to take a step back in technology for a while... I just keep hoping that someone in the near future brings another service like V* together for all of us HD Junkie's

:cool:

I'll be switching to Cox HD unfortunately as well. I looooove Directv but they want $299 for their HD reciever :no

Not looking forward to it. Hopefully someone else will have a vision and lead us into the promised land soon.

Is their a 1 year commitment when signing with Cox?

zapgod said:
I'll be switching to Cox HD unfortunately as well. I looooove Directv but they want $299 for their HD reciever :no

Not looking forward to it. Hopefully someone else will have a vision and lead us into the promised land soon.

Is their a 1 year commitment when signing with Cox?

No commitment of any type with Cox. That is why I am going to go ahead and get their HD service for a while. I still have hopes that either one of the current satellite providers, or maybe a "new" company will be formed, that will carry the amount of HD content that we have been used to having with V*. HD content will eventually grow, but with the demise of V* I feel like it will set back the process for another 2 or 3 years.. :river

Soccer Blues

RPacion said:
If any of you are sports fans, INHD2 programming is preempted with live HD games from Fox Sports Net Arizona.

My Cox HD is good. Cox INHD2 is very good. On a par with V*'s WorldSport La Liga. I'm sure going to miss La Liga in HD. E* offers RAI for Italian Seria A soccer in SD (?). Has anybody seen this? Decent? I could get E* just for that!

Wonder if there's HD soccer anywhere aside from V*? I saw a little MLS on INHD2 several months ago.
Ken (in Phoenix)

fkostyn said:
Don't forget about $15 in taxes on that!!!
Don't forget the $2.00 access charge for each box. They don't tell you that. THe DVR is really $22, the HD box is $12 and the digital box is $8. They are $2 more than they tell you. Plust there is a $4.00 gateway fee.

If you have cable, internet and phone they will give you $10.00 off on preferred internet, $39.95 instead of $49.95 and they will also $15.90 discount on cable is you get their $29.95 phone package. So I am down to about $97.00 for all their programming with HD and 1 HD-PVR and 1 HD box. Since the PVR is dual tuner it will work nicely with Tivo. You can record one movie in hi-fed and one in standard def at the same time.

jbphoenix said:
Seeing as how we will probably be losing V* after April 30th, does any of the Phoenix area Voomers have any experience with Cox HD service. Is the PQ good on local as well as the other HD channels? Just looking for an alternative to D* and E* if V* does go black. :no
A combination of Cox Cable and just the D* oe E* HD package makes a pretty good line up. If they add Cinemax-HD, TMC-HD and TNT-HD it will be real good.

I see the 3250 has DVI, and the 8300 has HDMI. My TV has DVI. The adapters are about 100 bucks. I wonder if Cox will include an adapter if I want the 8300?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)