Phone Connection not Passing Test - But Dial Tone

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
Long time dish customer had 2 622's that were slowly dying reboots etc and so took the plunge on a upgrade

I just had my 1 h / 1j installed and so far all is good, the installer was a nice guy but at the end 2 things were not done , 1 i don't care about the other i do
The one i don't is the dish wasn't grounded, it actually never has been, and every tech comes out and says that it should be but then never does it - he said it was too far to the box to ground - I mention it in case it has some relevance but i doubt it

The one i do care about is the phone line wont pass the test
It did on the 622 and callerid worked. Also if i connect a phone i can hear a dial tone and dial out also - so the line is ok just not good enough for the hopper

He tested it with some Tester and it had a red light on it - "see its not correct" what the red light was saying i don't know - And hence my posting - he also said he didn't know - so wasn't really worth pursuing i thought.

Any thoughts on what i might need to do ? He mentioned cross wires. I do have dsl and it has got a filter on it

Just a bit miffed that callerid isnt working - but overall so far i like it,

I'm in the middle of copy all my programs from one of my 2 ehd's over to the hard drive so i can use just one. Managed to config my Harmony remote and my hopper remote to control everything - so again pleased just this one minor issue

PS I did think about putting this in tech discussions but as this is a new hopper thought maybe others had experienced this

How long has the Hopper be in use?
There are reports of Hopper taking as much as 48 hours for complete functionality.
I too had a 622, plus a 722, and a 922. I'm sure phone line was (green) on all. I do not remember if CID was included in 622....722 and 922 for sure had CID. If you have a dial tone it should work. Also in the menu you must activate CID, settings, network, activate Caller ID. For a test of the line, menu, setting, diagnosis, test connections.

Last edited:
Yep CID active, yep dial tone, yep CID on 622, been installed since Tuesday, so 4 days

Issue is i can't get it to pass the darn test, as I mentioned did once cos I ran all diagnostics as well as network test and then stopped working, thought it may be a dodgy cable swapped them ,reconnected a phone and dial tone present

Thanks or responding I guess I need a telephone engineer to fully test the line but not going to pay AT&T's ridiculous fees for that - oh well

This may not be relevant but, since the latest software update CID has had a bug. Mine works, test are green, but the "delete row" button in the CID menu no longer works....it did before the 222 update.
I would wait for the next update, which could be soon or so the brass is saying and see what happens then. If it worked with your previous system there is no reason I know of that it would not work with the new.
Just a thought.

When I had my installed I had the same problem. Work before, I had a line tester and it show that the wire was backward. I fix the wires, and still wouldn't work. So I inserted a phone spliter into the hopper, plug a phone in and had a dial tone, check the hopper and it work, removed the spliter and it stop, put it back in and all is good.

My hopper has callerid one minute and then, with no changes, doesn't have it again without the red reset button. Worked fine on my VIP722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)