Phone line charge? Avoidable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
skyviewmark said:
The dual tuner was one of the best items to come out of Dish. The phone line thing is a nuisance but livable. As someone already said it's a mystery as to why they require it on duals and not singles. Real tough to stack a dual tuner so although that is what they claim, most people who do this stuff for a living have to scratch their head and wonder. I live and work in a very lightning prone area and the last thing I want is a phone line plugged in. Most lightning around here seems to attack the phone systems so therefore we loose a larger share of duals that are plugged in to the phone.

I believe the phone line is used for something else. Yes it makes it easier to order pay per view. But I am a conspiracy theorist who looks at the phone line as more of a big brother thing. And when the receiver phones home who knows exactly what it is telling Dish about my viewing habits. Follow the money..
The lightining /grounding thing with phone lines..Has something to do with Potential..As in voltage...I don't completely understand how it works but basically the phone system is the weakest part of the deal....Anyway. Everytime there is a lightining issue the damn thing runs in on the phone line..If a customer asks I let them know it is a risk.....If they don't ask,I don't bring it up..I don't get paid to play 56 questions

birddoggy said:
what I think is funny, is that people complain about being "penalized" for not havin the phone line plugged in.... thats not really true. You actually get a little bit of a discount for connecting the phone line.
How do i figure that? A few years ago before the dual tuners came out you paid an additional 4.99 for each extra receiver... on a 4 room system you paid an extra $15. Nowadays dish network puts in a dual tuners receiver and you have the option to connect it to a phone line. If you choose not to, you would still pay $15 for the additional outlets... no penalized, just same as always. If you choose to plug it in, you get a "discount" and you only get charged an additional 4.99 for a 4 room system. Seems like a good deal to me. Go with Directv and you are still charged an extra $15 for a 4 room system.
That's basically how I word my answer if there is an inquiry
I tell them if they hook up a phine line,Dish will knock $5 off their bill..per receiver..I tell them thye can let me run a libne for $69 bucks or they can purchase a wireless phine jack....For those custs that are land based free, there is no alternative....There should be..In fact the fee is horsecrap...It's money grab...So many people tel me they have no intention of ordering a PPV event..Oh well....DTV used ot require phione conns. for revceivers 2-4..Now that so many are ditching land lines, DTV has dropped the requirement..

what I think is funny, is that people complain about being "penalized" for not havin the phone line plugged in.... thats not really true. You actually get a little bit of a discount for connecting the phone line.
How do i figure that? A few years ago before the dual tuners came out you paid an additional 4.99 for each extra receiver... on a 4 room system you paid an extra $15. Nowadays dish network puts in a dual tuners receiver and you have the option to connect it to a phone line. If you choose not to, you would still pay $15 for the additional outlets... no penalized, just same as always. If you choose to plug it in, you get a "discount" and you only get charged an additional 4.99 for a 4 room system. Seems like a good deal to me. Go with Directv and you are still charged an extra $15 for a 4 room system.

First of all, I disagree with the fee per tuner concept.

Two tuners lets Dish install a single box to service two rooms, making for lower expense to Dish!
Charging for two tuners like they were two receivers, is just a ploy to grab money.
You should be encouraged and incentivized to take dual tuner/two room receivers by the fact that they cost less to produce.

I'd much prefer two 301's for two rooms, to a dual-tuner equivalent.
Easier to troubleshot/repair, and if one goes down, you have a backup.
Now if they'd just put more RAM into the 301's (or later spin-offs) to give you that week-long guide, they'd be outstanding!

Last edited:
i talked to 3 differant c.s. to ask if voip will work with the phone line, all 3 told me it would and wanted to sign me up right then, after the 3rd phone call and the sales person said yes voip will work i signed up, guess what? it doesn't !,now for the second point, on their website, under tech portal, trobleshooting, it even gives
you the setup for voip, guess what.......ya got it don't work. now since i've only been with dish about 40 days i don't know if i'm going to see that 5.00 charge,
but if i do,i give them 2 choice's waive the 5.00 fee, or pull the plug,and i will send the dvr back,i WILL NOT pay a cancelation fee because the service was sold to me under false statements from c.s. and sales.plus i will file a complaint with BBB
to add to their over 25,000.

---

dishcomm said:
That's basically how I word my answer if there is an inquiry
I tell them if they hook up a phine line,Dish will knock $5 off their bill..per receiver..I tell them thye can let me run a libne for $69 bucks or they can purchase a wireless phine jack....For those custs that are land based free, there is no alternative....There should be..In fact the fee is horsecrap...It's money grab...So many people tel me they have no intention of ordering a PPV event..Oh well....DTV used ot require phione conns. for revceivers 2-4..Now that so many are ditching land lines, DTV has dropped the requirement..

what is a libne?

cobra2225 said:
i talked to 3 differant c.s. to ask if voip will work with the phone line, all 3 told me it would and wanted to sign me up right then, after the 3rd phone call and the sales person said yes voip will work i signed up, guess what? it doesn't !,now for the second point, on their website, under tech portal, trobleshooting, it even gives
you the setup for voip, guess what.......ya got it don't work. now since i've only been with dish about 40 days i don't know if i'm going to see that 5.00 charge,
but if i do,i give them 2 choice's waive the 5.00 fee, or pull the plug,and i will send the dvr back,i WILL NOT pay a cancelation fee because the service was sold to me under false statements from c.s. and sales.plus i will file a complaint with BBB
to add to their over 25,000.
I hope you recorded those converations. Other wise, they got ya.....BTW, you should have gotten your first and seciond invoices already..If the fee isn't there AND you have anot ahd a message pop up on your screen alerting you on how to avoid the fee, then you're in the clear..For now...
But if you did not record those conversations, you have no evidence against the csr's.now Dish may have recordings, but good luck getting them..
In other words, you'll need a lawyer. Unless you can find an attorney that is really pissed at dish or will do the case "pro bono",is it really worth it?..

It works with Vonage and Voicepulse VOIP. It should work with most any VOIP service. It is only digital alarm systems that send a digital signal to an answering point that will not work with VOIP.

-------

Tampa8 said:
It works with Vonage and Voicepulse VOIP. It should work with most any VOIP service. It is only digital alarm systems that send a digital signal to an answering point that will not work with VOIP.

when i test the connection it comes back as connection ok, but it won't do a dial out.

------

dishcomm said:
I hope you recorded those converations. Other wise, they got ya.....BTW, you should have gotten your first and seciond invoices already..If the fee isn't there AND you have anot ahd a message pop up on your screen alerting you on how to avoid the fee, then you're in the clear..For now...
But if you did not record those conversations, you have no evidence against the csr's.now Dish may have recordings, but good luck getting them..
In other words, you'll need a lawyer. Unless you can find an attorney that is really pissed at dish or will do the case "pro bono",is it really worth it?..

i have already got it covered just in case.

Tampa8 said:

It also works with SunRocket, My 622 has had no problems for the 3+ months I've had it plugged into SunRocket.

Great! I am getting DIsh installed soon with 625 Dual Tuner, and I have sunrocket too.. So they install a seperate phone line behind TV? or how does it work?

coolguy1 said:
Great! I am getting DIsh installed soon with 625 Dual Tuner, and I have sunrocket too.. So they install a seperate phone line behind TV? or how does it work?

My SunRocket modem is on the shelf above my main TV, so it was easy to run a phone line from the 622 in my A/V cabinet to the SunRocket modem. In fact, the installer tested the line and verified that everything was fine before he left.

I tried everything to get my 622 to work with Packet * and nothing worked. I switched to Voicepulse and haven't had a problem. It has something to do with the codec that Packet 8 uses.

---

Dishpointer said:
I tried everything to get my 622 to work with Packet * and nothing worked. I switched to Voicepulse and haven't had a problem. It has something to do with the codec that Packet 8 uses.

well that's good news and bad, glad to here i'm not the only one with this problem
would you happen to know what the codec is for voicepulse? maybe there is something i can work out with p-8.

thanks for the feedback:hatsoff:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)