Phone Line Q&A

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bsilvertab

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Rockford MI
I am about to sell a 2 DVR system to a cell phone only customer. Please help me understand why the recievers have to be hooked into a dead phone line. Here is a snipit of the doc:

In an effort to ensure DIRECTV customers have access to full current and future system functionality, including interactive options, please remember that phone line connections are required on EVERY receiver installed in the customer's home. This is not an optional portion of the installation, but is required under the DIRECTV scope of work on ALL installed receivers. In order to take the customer "Out of the equation (i.e. not asking if they need a phone line connected), the technician should approach every installation as if installing a DVR unit. It is mandatory for the functionality of the DIRECTV service. Customers with cell only service must have the connection made to the inactive land based phone line even if it is not connected.

Questions and Answers:

Q) Does every IRD in the customer's home have to be connected to a phone line?
A) Yes, per contractual requirements and the contractual Statement of Work from DIRECTV, every IRD is REQUIRED to be connected to a land-based phone line.

Q) What if the customer refuses to have a phone line?
A) Educate the customer that phone line installation is an integral piece of the standard DIRECTV installation. There a(e several reasons for having the phone line, including:
a. The additional outlet will provide the customer with a convenience outlet via an RJ-11 splitter (phone companies typically charge around $85.00 for an additional outlet).
b. If the customer subscribes to Caller 10, the information from the incoming phone call will display on the customer's television set (DVR units do not currently have Caller 10 functionality).

I don't know about you but that post has to be old seeing the DVR+ dosen't require a phone line like the TiVo did. I don't think any of their reasons are valid on a dead phone line.

It is probably recent. You are required by contract to have a phone line connected to all of the recievers, but it isn't required to have your DVR function properly.

boba said:
I don't know about you but that post has to be old seeing the DVR+ dosen't require a phone line like the TiVo did. I don't think any of their reasons are valid on a dead phone line.

Its realy pointless to hook it up, because when the reciever goes to dial out to unload the smart card, it wont be able to since i doubt there is any connection to the tel co's lines, and if there is, that its unhooked somewhere in their network, since they are cell phone only. i'd doubt u will even get a dial tone if u hooked up a phone to the line. i wonder what procedures d* has for this since they rely on a phone line to clear out their smart cards.

Interesting timing on this question. I'm having 4 receivers installed Monday and I guess I'll find out if I need a phone line at each one like the old days. If so, I'll need to install 2 jacks.

I didn't have phone service for my HD hookup last week. I told D* I wasn't EVER going to get a phone. When the installer got there he called his supervisors as it seems that they have to get the OK to install if there are no phones. In my case it wasn't noted on the D* invoice. I haven't had phones to my receivers in over two years.

I also ran into this problem of cell phone only customers a few days ago. In my state, even when telephone service is interrupted it still has a dial tone but you can only dial 911 with it. I think the company should find out about the phone lines from the customer off the bat when they are placing their order. Also, it would be nice for the company to explain that we charge them for extra work not listed on the order. Why some much drama about these lines!?! What gives? My company called me and informed me of the phone line requirement today and said Directv called complaining some of our installers were not connecting their lines. (Now I wonder how they knew that.....) But anyhow, It all just plain irritates me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.