Phone Power service outage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mikew

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I am really missing DSLReports today. My PhonePower adapter does not work. I have softphone installed on my PC and that doesn't work. I cannot log on to www.phonepower.com. When I call their toll free number from my cell phone, the tech support voice gets garbled and I cannot hear a thing.

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, having the same issues from NJ. Started between 10:30 and 11:00 am EDT while working from home this AM. Cannot get to their web site either, either from home or my work office. Tech support number was inaccessible the last few times I tried from the office. I would guess it's some sort of disaster on their end.

Yes, having the same issues from NJ. Started between 10:30 and 11:00 am EDT while working from home this AM. Cannot get to their web site either, either from home or my work office. Tech support number was inaccessible the last few times I tried from the office. I would guess it's some sort of disaster on their end.

I'm glad I dumped them two weeks ago. I ended up porting my number to tmobile prepaid, and then to google voice sense I couldnt go to GV directly as GV only takes mobile numbers. Once the number was ported to Tmobile as a cell line I was good to go! It seems like their service has been slacking over the past few months. What caused me to cancel was I was only late on my payment for 24 hours and they shut me off. The reason why I was late was because my Credit Card info changed as the card expired. I didnt realize that it didnt bill correctly until after they turned off the service. I called them up and was like look I have never been late and this is what happened.. They refused to turn on service till I paid, so I sent them packing. I could have seen if I was like 90 days late or soemthing like that, but to turn off service for payment failure 24 hours after the failed payment due to a credit card snafu was enough for me to dump them. It's sad as I have been a loyal coustomer of theirs sense 2008.

I'm having the same issue. Not sure when it started, but I first noticed it about an hour ago. Rebooted everything to no avail. Either get a busy signal, or the line rings forever then cuts off when I try to call PhonePower. Their failsafe feature does not appear to be working either, as incoming calls don't connect and aren't forwarded to the failsafe number or voicemail. They've had a good reliability track record for 3+ years, but I guess you have to expect a glitch every now and then.

Wow, didn't figure I'd be on satelliteguys discussing a voip outage, but I'm in the same boat as everyone else, here.

This has all the markings of a denial-of-service attack against them. If that's the case, then they might be in a heap o' trouble, because if you don't have the kind of infrastructure and IT talent to detect/prevent/recover, it could cost an awful lot of money to bring in the necessary resources to get it fixed in a hurry. And if you don't bring in those resources, that could be the last profitable quarter you see for a very long time.

So the killer about this is that forwarding and voicemail don't even work, because that all depends on phonepower's systems being there to route the calls. Any call to your number gets a busy or some other equally unproductive response. And even if you wanted to arrange some kind of temporary provider, you can't get your number moved until their systems are up.

It's an interesting lesson ... my PhonePower number is just a non-critical residential line, and people can reach me on other numbers. But I guess I'd have to think twice about using a voip provider (*any* voip provider, including AT&T) for mission-critical phone service. The Internet just isn't as reliable as the old AT&T copper network is (or at least was).

Phone power is down with no start up time given"On May 2nd 2012, Phone Power phone line service and web servers stopped working completely. The service is offline until further notice. Service interruption began at 10:29am EDT"

“@PPowerNetStatus: At 7:45am PT a core router crashed in Los Angeles impacting inbound/outbound calls. Engineers are working to resolve the problem asap.”

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Ya got love technology, talked the wife into dumping our Verizon service, 72.50 per month all the bells and whistles. Of course we are cells mainly, but you watch the wife try to use the house phone tonight, first time in god knows how long. Maybe I'll tell her I was digging out side and cut the cable line, that won't work the net needs to be up, I got it, all the batteries in the cordless phone are dead.

PhonePower outage in Atlanta, too

Issue also occurring here in Atlanta, GA. Like someone else said, glad to know it's not just me. Thanks to all who've provided info on what the problem is.

PPowerNetStatus on Twitter now says routing has been restored but it is taking longer than they expected to get the network up. A good sign that at least they aren't going out of business. Funny that when you call tech support it says that the system is operating normally. I can't believe Twitter is the only way these guys can communicate. They should be able to have a web page posting or an update to their answering device.

Glad I found this thread. Same problems as everyone else. Can't get to their website and the dongle they sent me isn't registering itself on their network. Been down since I got up this morning (it was working fine yesterday and last night). In their defense, I've been using Phonepower for over a year and a half and this is the first time they've gone down like this in all that time. I can only think of a couple of other times that their service was unavailable at all and both of those instances only went on for a couple hours at most. Hope this is not a new trend for them.

I agree they've been reliable, and tech and sales support have been very good (better than what I experienced with Lingo/PrimusTel). If I had to guess, I'd say that instead of being a trend, this incident might result in them being even more reliable (they may go for redundancy in equipment, and preventive/predictive features in their software and process). A company whose business depends critically on these components can't afford too many incidents like this.

Until further notice sounds like a long time. Where did you get the info?

Was trying to get a contact number Googling around and that info came up, it was linked to Wikipedia, here's what the site says

On May 2nd 2012, Phone Power phone line service and web servers stopped working completely. The service is offline until further notice. Service interruption began at 10:29am EDT.

On May 2nd 2012 - From a forum post, reflective of Twitter - a key router crashed and they are currently working on replacement.

On May 2nd 2012, Service seems to be resumed.

Same here in Boston area, multiple accounts, all down, can't get to website to forward calls, can't get a response on support line.

I will drop the service as soon as I can figure out where to go with it.

I'm now getting a dial tone, but no outbound calls get through. Just gets the "We're sorry, your call did not go through. Will you please try your call again?" message. I can get incoming calls, though (at least, I can make my phone ring by calling my phonepower number with my cell, anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)