Photos from Team Summit 2005!

bcshields said:
I think Dish would be smart to make the 411, then skip directly to a 444. A whole house solution. Heck with the dual tuners. Take two lines off the DPPTwin and seperate them into 4 tuners.

Then you make the Dish Pod work just like USB-Memory sticks do. Just plug and play, software onboard. That'll make any 411-444 into a DVR, with upgrades to the Dish-Pod in the future instead of the receivers.
And, while we're speculating, this imaginary box should have the DPP Separators built-in (ie. only 2 coax connections needed).

It should have a single RF output that sends 4 ATSC channels. Remember - ATSC can carry the necessary HD bandwidth. It should also have a single component/HDMI/DVI/whatever output so you don't need an extra ATSC tuner for the "close" TV.

Will the 411 have dolby digital out? aka optical?

This would be a big improvement over the 311. We can finally get DD on a receiver that does not have a hard drive and the $5 DVR fee

SimpleSimon said:
And, while we're speculating, this imaginary box should have the DPP Separators built-in (ie. only 2 coax connections needed).
I am expecting that it will. Separators are kinda silly anyways ... it looks like E* messed up and sold DP+ receivers then couldn't meet the spec on DP+ switches so they threw in the splitter as a patch.
SimpleSimon said:
It should have a single RF output that sends 4 ATSC channels.
Why not just get the whole house 777 receiver with 6 tuners and outputs?

JL

This is where its headed. a computer that has slots to add more tuner cards depending on how many you want to pay for. Then all they have to do is make it so the motherboard has something that is required so you can't put these cards in you own pc and rip the content from it.

I wonder if within a few years we will have something like this? One box with wireless extension boxes that stream the content to them with encryption. I hope so.

Jon

j5races said:
This is where its headed. a computer that has slots to add more tuner cards depending on how many you want to pay for. Then all they have to do is make it so the motherboard has something that is required so you can't put these cards in you own pc and rip the content from it.

I wonder if within a few years we will have something like this? One box with wireless extension boxes that stream the content to them with encryption. I hope so.

Jon

Would be nice but I doubt it will ever happen as there are far to many company's going in their own directions and competing.

DWS44 said:
I noticed the pic of the broadband satellite above. A bit unsightly, but I was curious if anyone was talking about this service.

I know the talk of the day has been the VOOM HD news, but I would still like to hear more about this service...cost, speeds, etc.

Lets compare apples to apples shall we....:D See attachments.

Attachments

• dishbroadband3.jpg
    dishbroadband3.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 863
  • mammoth.jpg
    mammoth.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 177
Its probably further out since it was not at this year's Team Summit. They probably want to launch MPEG-4 and concentrate on other things first before coming out with the server solution.

The 777 concept is essentially that. It does not have to be a PC or server with PC-style cards (PCI[X/XPress]/AGP/ISA) and a motherboard. Bring it up a level, and all you need is an intelligent backplane (not quite a motherboard) with cards or more contained modules that slide into it. That's what the "proposed" 777 looks like, more-or-less. And that, in my opinion, would be a good design. All you would really need on the backplane are power and OTA antenna feed, RF out to be combined, slot-addressable LNB feeds, and optionally other slot-addressable output signals. But add in there some stream data lines for DVR modules, and some other inter-module/module-backplane communications and you've got quite a pretty product. :lick :D

We just need explandable recievers. That would allow us to upgrade the processor, memory, add additional tuners, upgrade hard drive or add one, etc. That would take care of anything and everything on these recievers (at least for a good while). I cannot stress enough how making the recievers upgradable would solve a lot of the issues we see today with cost and waiting longer for products to roll out when they can concentrate on only certain components to upgrade instead. This would also allow for many fewer reciever models. Maybe they will smarten up when it comes time to upgrade everyone to MPEG-4.

Your 2nd picture is not Rascal Flatts it is Eric Agnew and Open Range. From the angle of the picture we were almost sitting next to each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts