Picture Background Colors are not right

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jillian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Georgia USA
I have had Directv for almost 4 years. Back in June of last year , they updated me with a new receiver. An H24/200. I have a HD Slimline Dish which I have had sometime. I never had a problem with this receiver. I got excellent picture quality and no background color problems.

On December 27, 2010 I cancelled my account with Directv and sent back the receiver. This past Thursday , I resigned up. They came out Saturday (yesterday) and connected me up. I asked for the same kind of receiver I had before because it was excellent. I got that same kind , but not the same quality .

The background on most all the pictures is too dark and can take on a greenish
cast. In night scenes , you can barely make out the images. On the pictures that look too bright which are few , the background is also wrong. If the background is purple , it gives off an all over purple cast . if a pink background , it gives an all over pink cast. Also some of the colors on these bright looking channels look like floresent colors . But they are not as they did not look this way before . So I know they are not floresencent . Something is not right. Never had this problem with the other receiver and it was just like this one.

My TV settings have not been changed. Everything has remained the same. I did go into my settings to see if I could do anything , but could not solve this problem.

What is wrong ?

Last edited:
It could be the receiver, but have you checked the connections? I'm guessing you are using component cables, not hdmi. Either way, make sure they are connected correctly.

I am using an HDMI Cable. I thought it might be the cable , so I went to Walmart last night and bought a new one and put it on , but that was not the problem. Also last year when they updated me with the new receiver , I had component connections , but the tech who updated me saw that I had an HDMI cable to my DVD player , and took it and connected with it. The component connections were still on there. But this time there are no component on here . Just the HDMI.

How about trying the component cables then?

I don't have any component cables. They never connected me this time with component cables . The component cables were from when I first got Directv in 2007 , so when I cancelled , I had to send everything back including the cables.

You could simply go grab a pair from wal-mart in exchange for the HDMI you got; at least to test. I see where Chip is going; trying to narrow down WHERE the problem is.

Hey , I found some Component cables on my DVD Player. How do I connect these cables from my TV to my Receiver . There are only three of them 1 Yellow , 1 Red , and 1 White.

Hey , I found some Component cables on my DVD Player. How do I connect these cables from my TV to my Receiver . There are only three of them 1 Yellow , 1 Red , and 1 White.

I think that you have the composite cables.

These are component cables:
220px-Component-cables.jpg
and would be connected here:
Component_video_jack.jpg

You would also want to use the red and white cables for audio, and you would just leave the yellow video one hanging unconnected.

I hope that helps.

What I want to understand is why this very same type receiver displayed an excellent quality picture without any of these color problems when it was connected to HDMI before. . But before the upgrade last year , I had been connecting by Component with another type receiver. But on the upgrade to the H24/200 last June , I was connected by HDMI with an excellent quality picture.

So upon resign up and getting the same reeciver H24/200 , the color quality is horrendous. I don't understand this. I am going to get a tech out here to check it out. Thanks for all your help.

What I want to understand is why this very same type receiver displayed an excellent quality picture without any of these color problems when it was connected to HDMI before. . But before the upgrade last year , I had been connecting by Component with another type receiver. But on the upgrade to the H24/200 last June , I was connected by HDMI with an excellent quality picture.

So upon resign up and getting the same reeciver H24/200 , the color quality is horrendous. I don't understand this. I am going to get a tech out here to check it out. Thanks for all your help.

For the price we pay for TV service, I would not blame you for getting a tech to come see.
Best luck to you.
It may be the receiver.
I also dislike it when something goes wrong with equipment.
Therefore, it may not be something that you can necessarily fix.

If they cannot fix this color problem , I will need to cancel . And if they try to charge me early cancellation fees , I will fight them. It won't be my fault if it is an unsolvable problem. But they can always say that they see nothing wrong. I hope it is something that can be fixed. You know , there should be a 30 period where you can cancel without penalty.

Be calm and patient; you catch more flies with sugar remember... That being said remember the VAST majority are not having this issue so it is most likely a personal thing; meaning something may be broken, defective or incorrect at your receiver /setup. So you should be able to work toward a replacement solution if its needed.

Thanks. I agree. But I think I already lost my cool with them. Staying calm and patient isn't my nature lol , but I sure need to try and cultivate these.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)