Picture Clarity

Steve0

Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Hello, I am new to the forum!

I have DISH with a 2 receiver(311) system.

On TV the picture is very clear and I have no complaints. This TV has a direction from the wall to the TV. This TV is in the bedroom and considered our second TV. The TV is approximately 10 years old.

The main TV is another story! The TV is a 2 year old Sony Trinitron. This TV has a DVD and VCR connected to it.

The reception is not clear at all and I am not sure what to do about it. If there are words on the screen they are hard to read. If people are wearing certain colors, they are either washed out or glowing.

Is there any troubleshooting I can do to rule in/out a DISH problem?

I am fairly certain it is not the TV because when watching a DVD the picture is crystal clear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If more information is needed, please ask.

Thank you for your time.

-Steve

I just confirmed that the coax from the wall goes to Satellite in. The out on the receiver goes to to the VCR, and the out on the VCR goes to the TV.

Is that what you are asking? To troubleshoot a few days ago I took the VCR out the mix and the picture quality did not change, still bad.

Thanks for replying.

-Steve

from the dish to the receiver doesnt matter. you should hook up RCAs from the receiver to the TV. much the same way that your DVD player is hooked up. coax is the poorest quality connection. hook up the s-video and the audio directly from the receiver to the tv.

Thanks again for the reply.

My DVD is already using the S-video on the TV.

What would be the best way to get the S-video from the receiver to the TV and still have the DVD connected.

Thanks again,

Steve

you dont have to use the s-video, standard video would work just get if off the coax, i am sure you have a front jack or posiblable one on the side you could use you would just have to look at the wires.

Thanks for that information. I did not know that RCA cables served the same purpose a coax or S-video.

I appreciate your help and apologize for the newbie type questions.

-Steve

BnT, sorry for additional post.

In a few posts above you stated: hook up the s-video and the audio directly from the receiver to the tv

My question is: If I want to hook up the VCR, should I do s-video or RCA to VCR, then to TV from the VCR?

The reason I ask is that I check the DISH tech portal and this is how they describe how to connect a VCR.

Thanks again,

Steve

I just wanted to post a follow-up/conclusion to this thread.
I changed from coax to RCA cables from the receiver to the TV.
It's like I bought a new TV! The picture is awesome! It's never been so clear!
Thanks again,
Steve

Plus, by not using the coax, you will get stereo sound as well. It's too bad that this isn't mentioned more often, as the audio on the coax output on most of Dish's receivers is mono.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)