Picture going blank after 4K equipment upgrade.

les.warden

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Central Illinois
After upgrading my TV and receiver to 4K capability, my picture periodically goes blank. It was doing this before the upgrade, but it would just blank for 5-10 seconds then come right back. Now it blanks long enough for the TV to say Loss of signal. I’ve unplugged and replugged the cables, banged on top, etc and it eventually comes back. I’m on my way to get 4K HDMI cables as I’m not sure if my older Rocketfish cables are the issue. They’re the gold end type and think they’re good up to 1080i.
Thought I’d throw this out there to see if others have experienced this issue.

After upgrading my TV and receiver to 4K capability, my picture periodically goes blank. It was doing this before the upgrade, but it would just blank for 5-10 seconds then come right back. Now it blanks long enough for the TV to say Loss of signal. I’ve unplugged and replugged the cables, banged on top, etc and it eventually comes back. I’m on my way to get 4K HDMI cables as I’m not sure if my older Rocketfish cables are the issue. They’re the gold end type and think they’re good up to 1080i.

Does this happen only when changing channels, or in the middle of a program?

I upgraded to the H3 and bought a low-end Hisense 4K/HDR TV. I have never seen it blank on 1080i. But when the H3 attempts to switch it to 4K resolution, the TV just says "No signal" until I turn off the 4K program on the Hopper, or else unplug/replug the HDMI cable.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I upgraded to the H3 and bought a low-end Hisense 4K/HDR TV. I have never seen it blank on 1080i. But when the H3 attempts to switch it to 4K resolution, the TV just says "No signal" until I turn off the 4K program on the Hopper, or else unplug/replug the HDMI cable.

Yep, his issue sounds like the TV not taking the adjustment in resolution as channels/programs change

Yep, his issue sounds like the TV not taking the adjustment in resolution as channels/programs change

Care to speculate some more? Clearly something goes awry with the handshake when the H3 switches to 4K. But whatever that is, (1) it does not fail on my 4K BD player and (2) it does fine when I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in again.

Care to speculate some more? Clearly something goes awry with the handshake when the H3 switches to 4K. But whatever that is, (1) it does not fail on my 4K BD player and (2) it does fine when I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in again.
I'm sorry, I'm really confused. OP is les.warden, but TheKrell responded like it was his OP??? TheKrell, do you have a similar issue?

My first thought is to try a different/new HDMI cable.

I'm sorry, I'm really confused. OP is les.warden, but TheKrell responded like it was his OP??? TheKrell, do you have a similar issue?

Yes, I have a similar issue, but not exactly the same. My post which you quote was in response to comfortably_numb regarding my first post about that issue. As near as I can tell, les.warden's 4K TV goes blank periodically on 1080i. In contrast, mine goes blank semi-permanently when the H3 switches to 4K.

Yes, I have a similar issue, but not exactly the same. My post which you quote was in response to comfortably_numb regarding my first post about that issue. As near as I can tell, les.warden's 4K TV goes blank periodically on 1080i. In contrast, mine goes blank semi-permanently when the H3 switches to 4K.
My apologies. I don't know how, but I totally skipped post #3. Totally my fault.

Reactions: TheKrell

The fact that unplug/replug the cable fixes the issue points squarely to an HDCP failure, but you probably knew that already. Why, not a clue. Fix action, maybe a new cable or possibly a different HDMI port. HDMI issues can be really difficult to fix, thank you Hollywood and your schemes to "protect" your IP.

When I've had HDMI issues from receiver(s) to the TV before, I try running them through either my AVR or through a powered splitter to see if there is any change. Sometimes that fixes the issue, and sometimes it at least shows me where the problem is.

Thanks for the replies. Where I’m at so far...

How it was hooked up..
H3–Pioneer Amp-Samsung 1080p TV
Older Rocketfish HDMI cables
Would blank maybe couple times a week. (H3 suspect here)

After 4K upgrade..
H3-Yamaha 4K amp-LG 4K TV
Blanks more often and even says not connected, check cables or top box. (H3 more suspect, but Yamaha suspect too after talking to Tech support)

Where I’m at now..
H3-“pending” Pioneer amp-LG 4K TV
New 4K HDMI cables

As you noticed, I returned the cheaper Yamaha and bumped up a little to a Pioneer and bought 4K cables. I don’t get the Pioneer til next week (they’re popular) so we’ll see. In the meantime, I’m plugged from H3 directly to TV with 4K cable. No blanks so far, but we’ll see if it does over next few days with direct to TV.

Thanks for the replies. Where I’m at so far...

How it was hooked up..
H3–Pioneer Amp-Samsung 1080p TV
Would blank maybe couple times a week. (H3 suspect here)

After 4K upgrade..
H3-Yamaha 4K amp-LG 4K TV
Blanks more often and even says not connected, check cables or top box. (H3 more suspect, but Yamaha suspect too after talking to Tech support)

Where I’m at now..
H3-“pending” Pioneer amp-LG 4K TV
New 4K HDMI cables

As you noticed, I returned the cheaper Yamaha and bumped up a little to a Pioneer and bought 4K cables. I don’t get the Pioneer til next week (they’re popular) so we’ll see. In the meantime, I’m plugged from H3 directly to TV with 4K cable. No blanks so far, but we’ll see if it does over next few days with direct to TV.

My older Pioneer AVR couldn't handle 4K either. I wonder if that might be your issue. Will be interesting to hear if your new AVR solves the problem (especially if going straight to the TV causes no issues).

Reactions: les.warden
Another issue I noticed when the blanking was occurring that is not occurring now...

When trying to go into multi-view PIP, it would blank and lose the picture. Only way to get it back was to reset the H3. Just tried MV PIP with H3 directly to TV and it works fine now.

Another issue I noticed when the blanking was occurring that is not occurring now...

When trying to go into multi-view PIP, it would blank and lose the picture. Only way to get it back was to reset the H3. Just tried MV PIP with H3 directly to TV and it works fine now.

When you engage Multi-View it switches to and displays in 4K on 4K TV's

Reactions: HipKat

When trying to go into multi-view PIP, it would blank and lose the picture. Only way to get it back was to reset the H3.
Yep..multi-view is a crapshoot. On college football saturdays, I hold my breath and hope it makes it a few hours. When it freaks and goes wonky, I haven't found any successful finagling that will fix it except a full reboot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)