Picture Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

silversschevy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Canyon, TX
Hey guys, I just hooked up my new Sony KDL-37M4000 to my new VIP211. I have adjusted all the pictures settings on both the tv and the receiver but cannot get the hd to fill the screen. For some odd reason it is leaving about a half inch line on the left and right sides of the picture????????

I was on the phone with *e for an hour with no luck, and I am completely out of ideas:confused::confused::confused:

Suggestions? Thanks guys

oh ya it is hooked up via HDMI and my dvd player fills the screen just fine.

my hdtv menu is set at 16 x 9 and 720p

I am starting to wonder if it is the cable coming from the dish to this receiver. The cable in this room is from the original install over 12 years ago............

Not a cableing issue.. It's a format issue, either your tv or the sat box.. Some channels still have a sidebar issue.. But it's not your cable

Are you seeing this on ALL Channels.. Just HD Channels, or just SD Channels..

Dish HD overscans on most TVs. Odd that you seem to be having an underscan issue. Try to play with different resolutions on the box and see if it happens in 1080i. Also, verify that you have it set to HDTV in installation. If you are concerned about a cable, why not hook up component video and see what happens. Do not worry about RCA cable quality. Any RCA cable will do just fine.

I am seeing this on pretty much all HD channels and a few sd channels as well.

kvnfl, what did you mean by making sure it was in HDTV in installation? Is there another hdtv menu besides the menu where I set resolution and screen size?

Not really sure of what your problem is, or even if you have a problem. SD and HD channels both can have sidebars unless the HD channel is actually broadcasting a true 16x9 picture. The format button on the remote can make the bars go away but this basically stretches the picture so for me the bars are preferrable on non true 16x9 programming.. History Channel and a few others broadcast (for lack of better terms) a 15 or 14 x 9 picture on much of their broadcast which is delplorable to me.. If the format button on your remote is not bringing your picture to full screen without bars then your problem is with your TV most likely. Check for any formatting menu or button on your actual TV or TV Remote.

I am seeing this on pretty much all HD channels and a few sd channels as well.

kvnfl, what did you mean by making sure it was in HDTV in installation? Is there another hdtv menu besides the menu where I set resolution and screen size?
Menu>6>2 "Shared view" The installer set my shared TV up as SDTV and this screwed up PIP and Switch tuner functions. After setting up both TVs as HDTV the problems went away.

Just to clarify, the sidebars are not the typical hd channel sidebars i see. They are very small, like half an inch maybe. I will check and make sure it is set to HDTV when i get home from work, but I have a 622 in my living room that does not have the bars.....:confused:

And i have noticed that some of the channels even have some noise up at the very top of the screen, like the vertical positioning is off or something...

Sounds like your TV is the culprit here. If you have a correct picture on your 622 and the same channel on your 211 has bars on the side then it sounds like TV issues.. As long as you are sure all the settings on your 211 are correct.. Might want to try component instead of HDMI just to see if the HDMI is creating the issue. Not likley but possible. Dish doesn't have the best track record with HDMI.

Never mind - you did say it was HDMI, not coax from receiver to TV.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the sidebars are not the typical hd channel sidebars i see. They are very small, like half an inch maybe. I will check and make sure it is set to HDTV when i get home from work, but I have a 622 in my living room that does not have the bars.....:confused:

And i have noticed that some of the channels even have some noise up at the very top of the screen, like the vertical positioning is off or something...

I was going to refer you to page 23 of your owners manual but it sounds like maybe it is your TV. (Noise issue)

i would assume that it was the tv as well, except for the fact that it doesn't do it on anything else that is hooked up to the tv such as dvd player.......

Perhaps it is a problem with that particular input slot on your tv? Or the output slot of the receiver (as someone else stated)
Have you tried hooking it up a different way? Component?

I have tried component and it does the same thing. However, I can hook up my dvd player to the exact same inputs and the picture looks fine???????????? I am about to just learn to live with it I guess because I'm out of ideas.

I am having this same exact problem with my new vip211 which I just got for my week old 32" Westinghouse HDTV. My upstairs HDTV is just fine with my vip622. I tried everything and nothing can get the picture to full screen. Any more ideas?

The noise at the top of the screen is more than likely extra channel info that is carried in the upper lines of resolution of all channels (time, CC, Rating, etc data). This "noise" does not exist on DVDs as this info is all carried in container subchannels, instead of in the image itself. Have you tried the receiver on another TV, or the other receiver with this TV. Please post results if you try this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts