Status
Please reply by conversation.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
We got DTV about a week ago. My HR24 was fine but the other HR24 was acting like a rain fade issue so my other half thought it was due to weather. Last night she asked me to check it out and it looked like a marginal signal level. The picture would break up but not disappear, the audio would cut out briefly, and occasional a warning window would pop up for a few milliseconds. I could not make out what it was stating clearly but did manage to make out "searching" and "satellite signal" (I think). Compared signal levels between HR24s and the one in trouble was only 1 point average below the other (coax run is longer) and showing about 88 - 94 on 95W. FINALLY decided to bypass the Panamax PM8-HT coax connections and presto, the weird problem cleared! BTW, the other "good" HR24 was and is still is on a Panamax M8HC-PRO coax connections without problems FWIW. I'll try using an old MAX8DBS on her HR24 later and see what happens. The specs on the coax protection should not be causing any problems on these particular surge protectors though.

Try moving the cables where they enter and exit the surge protectors. Sometime it is not the surge protector but the strange bends the input and output cables get that causes problems. The cure is to quick tie or otherwise secure the cables to the protector with enough cable to make a 9" diameter loop into the fittings. Also these protectors sometimes hang from the TV ports and this will cause problems.

Might not apply here,

Joe

Last edited:
I already had checked all the connections and they were tight. Belden's min. bend radius recommendation is 2.75" for 1694A RG6 and that was complied with. Considering the good signal levels, the only thing I would surmise is that a defective MOV was actuating with much lower voltage levels than designed for. I'll put an old Panamax MAX8DBS in line as a test. It worked fine with a legacy E* configuration with same DC operating voltages.

You are going in the right direction. Just swapping known-to-be-good components until you isolate the defective unit should work.

What I was getting at with the cable bend is that even though you can bend cable further it must be bent and mounted before the fitting is cut or you could find the center electrode retracting away from the rim line of the fitting. 2.75" is tight but fine. Just check the fitting.

Joe

What I was getting at with the cable bend is that even though you can bend cable further it must be bent and mounted before the fitting is cut or you could find the center electrode retracting away from the rim line of the fitting. 2.75" is tight but fine. Just check the fitting.

Joe

Very good point, Joe. I doubt most of us would think of that.

Never saw that as an issue with high quality compression connectors. On this set up I have PPC EX6XL & Holland SLCU-6connectors and with a coax OD of .275", they really grip the 1694A (95% braid) and are not easy to install. I am betting I will not have a problem when I install the other TVSS with same cables. I thought I had better warn others of a Panamax PM8-HT issue mimicing marginal signal levels when the receiver indicated receive levels were fine.

Never saw that as an issue with high quality compression connectors. On this set up I have PPC EX6XL & Holland SLCU-6connectors and with a coax OD of .275", they really grip the 1694A (95% braid) and are not easy to install. I am betting I will not have a problem when I install the other TVSS with same cables. I thought I had better warn others of a Panamax PM8-HT issue mimicing marginal signal levels when the receiver indicated receive levels were fine.

Yup,
To produce that fitting problem you have to cut the cable after making the fitting then start making bends and loops. If you are unlucky and don't screw in the fitting all the way the electrode will retract from a ground block just enough to mess things up; rare!

Your surge suppressor deal seems worth watching. I try to avoid using them only because if they cause a problem it will be assumed it was something I did, whereas, if lightning blows the ass off the box it is not a chargeable issue.

Same thing with the phone surge suppressor. But phone lines will probably "burn open" in a big hit. The telcos monitor their voltage pretty well too.

Joe

FWIW, when I finally got around to installing an old Panamax MAX8DBS, there were no problems. Apparently there were QC issues with the Panamax PM8-HT. BTW, we have a wicked thunderstorm heading this way from central Missouri.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)