Picture Quality AWESOME ON NEW VOOM TIER !

Pic Quaility is amazing on 942

Hd on 942 is mindboggling. The 942 has a new chipset and video driver over the 921 and 811, and the most phenomenal thing to watch is SD, which i never watched on voom. The SD is able to be transmitted via HDMI, can you believe that so that you can watch 480p , SD transmittal in its pure form, which is always the best. With the 6000, i would have to keep switching from HD to SD mode and use composite out for SD, cause it looked so horrible upconverted.

The 942 is going to have a life of at least 1 year, at which stage they will upgrade it for free. I had them put it in my notes on my dish account before the purchased it. The will swap out the chip and send a replacement for free. So it is better to have a 942 then not for one year. Recording voom on pvr is paradise. I just hope we get voom 21 soon. The pvr recording on 942 is stunning, i use to demo HD to my friends.

DISH Quality less than VOOM on 942

Old VOOM customer.

Just got the Dish 942 installed yesterday, and the picture quality is much less. I am really bummed out. I am using a Sanyo Z2 projector. On a projector the resolution fuzziness is maximized so it really hurts to watch HD now that is not crisp.

It feels as though the image is darker and less crisp. Me and my wife were both like, What is wrong with this picture. It can't be the projector because nothing has changed, we just swapped out from the Voom reciever to the 942.

My projector doesn't really need to be calibrated that i can tell, i never had to do that for VOOM, i just plugged it in and "BEAUTY".

HELP PLEASE. I gotta call Dish today and see if it is just the 942 or their signal or what.

:no

On voom, all 21 channels were 1440x1080

Monsters, Ultra, Animania, and Equator look Better on dish because they are full rez 1920x1080

The other 6 channels look Worse because they are at 1280x1080.

I'm hopeful some work will be done and that the 1280 is a temporary thing and that all channels will get 1920

fyi

Signal strength will not make any difference in comparing.

Digital = you get a picture or not.

Nothing in between (except pixelation and I do not think that is the problem).

phil

deeperinzen said:
Old VOOM customer.

Just got the Dish 942 installed yesterday, and the picture quality is much less. I am really bummed out. I am using a Sanyo Z2 projector. On a projector the resolution fuzziness is maximized so it really hurts to watch HD now that is not crisp....
Check the 942 menus, make sure you've set the output resolution higher than 480p. Lot's of installers leave it in low res.

deeperinzen said:
Old VOOM customer.

Just got the Dish 942 installed yesterday, and the picture quality is much less. I am really bummed out. I am using a Sanyo Z2 projector. On a projector the resolution fuzziness is maximized so it really hurts to watch HD now that is not crisp.

It feels as though the image is darker and less crisp. Me and my wife were both like, What is wrong with this picture. It can't be the projector because nothing has changed, we just swapped out from the Voom reciever to the 942.

My projector doesn't really need to be calibrated that i can tell, i never had to do that for VOOM, i just plugged it in and "BEAUTY".

HELP PLEASE. I gotta call Dish today and see if it is just the 942 or their signal or what.

:no

Are you sure that the 942's output resolution isn't set to 480i/p??

JimP said:
Are you sure that the 942's output resolution isn't set to 480i/p??
Ditto. My installer (nice guy) left my 942 and two 811s at 480p. I could only shake my head when he told me the PQ was better than his D* HD service. Apparently this was only his 5th HD install and I was the only one who noticed the output setting. And you ask me why I drink? :confused:

Ultra+ Equator-

BFG said:

Monsters, Ultra, Animania, and Equator look Better on dish because they are full rez 1920x1080

I'm hopeful some work will be done and that the 1280 is a temporary thing and that all channels will get 1920

My reception of Ultra is fine, but Equator has lots of problems:washed out colors, lack of detail, haloed edges.

BFG said:

This information is helpful to understand why the picture on my 811 is not as crisp as it was on my Voom box. I am watching on a Samsung 50" DLP over DVI. I tend use the Voom HD 21 Original promos and the HDNews weather graphics as the tests to judge PQ between Voom and "EchoVoom."

The Animania graphics look softer even on Animania post-Voom DBS.

jsb_hburg said:
This information is helpful to understand why the picture on my 811 is not as crisp as it was on my Voom box. I am watching on a Samsung 50" DLP over DVI. I tend use the Voom HD 21 Original promos and the HDNews weather graphics as the tests to judge PQ between Voom and "EchoVoom."

The Animania graphics look softer even on Animania post-Voom DBS.

TO: joe

How does it look if you substitute using 3-component video instead of DVI ? That works better for me on my HDTV.

Godot No Mo'

The install yesterday was painless. With the 942, PQ on the Voom channels is arresting, noticeably better than with the Motorola box. I generally used the component outputs from the Voom equipment, as there was a greenish accent in the picture using DVI. It wasn't in the TV, because it is absent using the HDMI to DVI output from the 942. The HDMI is clearly superior to the 942 component signal (as it should be), and both are better than the best from the Motorola box. SD PQ is also uniformly better. With Voom I had more than a few premium movie channels that were fairly atrocious, smeary and saturated. The OTA tuner is not as good as the one in my TV, struggling to lock a few, but no worse that the Motorola.

As for Godot, it was well worth the wait and the $250 ante. Finally a DVR that gets every detail of those incredible Equator and PBSHD scenic programs. The entire system is so much more sophisticated and flexible than the Voom interface. But then the Voom channel content remains slicker than anything else on the air. This is an absolutely terrific combination, Voom content and Dish delivery. May the marriage prosper and be fruitful.

JH1949 said:
TO: joe

How does it look if you substitute using 3-component video instead of DVI ? That works better for me on my HDTV.

DVI is better on a fixed pixel display like a DLP than component.

jsb_hburg said:
DVI is better on a fixed pixel display like a DLP than component.
Generally true. However several popular fixed-pixel sets convert DVI/HDMI input to analog, and then back to digital for display. Using component avoids an extra A/D conversion in this case.

Best way to tell what looks better is try both *on your set using your video sources*.

Ordering My 942 today and putting HD on my 51" Sony VVega for the first time!!! I can't wait till I get set up!! I think it's gonna be a good thing!....Fox HD....Nascar in HD....what more can a guy ask for??!!!!

Also gonna order the Voom10. I live in Lubbock DMA and we get our locals on 148w so I get a second dish @ no charge. After the installer is done I'm gonna redirect that puppy to the east to get 61.5 and voom! I'll be using the OTA tuner to recieve my locals. won't need 148w.

Tech27 said:
Nascar in HD....what more can a guy ask for??!!!!
Wait till you hear a 'crank 'it 'up pass in DD. Awesome :music.

Now if they could upgrade the in-car cameras to HD!

I just installed an 811 last night and I don't think the picture is as good as it was on my 6000. The color seems a bit more vibrant but the overall picture seems a bit softer, even on OTA. Bummer! I am viewing via component, is the DVI any better? I don't really want to use it on the 811 since I have my upconverting player using my pj's DVI input.

DarrellP said:
I just installed an 811 last night and I don't think the picture is as good as it was on my 6000. The color seems a bit more vibrant but the overall picture seems a bit softer, even on OTA. Bummer! I am viewing via component, is the DVI any better? I don't really want to use it on the 811 since I have my upconverting player using my pj's DVI input.
I see no difference between DVI and component. Some here say that the 942 is more crisp in both HD and SD. I'm hoping the 411's are going to be better than the 811's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)