Picture Quality Difference 6000 vs 942??

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
If connected to HDTV via component (or RGB on 6000), is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between the 6000 and the current 942? If so, does the 942 provide a better picture in HD and/or SD??

I have neither of those receivers, but I'd be leaning to beleive that there's a new better decoder that was placed in the 942 versus probably an older one in the 6000

When I was talking with a CSR today as I activated my 625, he asked why I was still using a 6000 instead of a 942. He said the 942 gives a better HD picture. I replied that I was waiting until MPEG4 before springing for a new HD receiver; and besides, my HDTV does not support HDMI or other digital input formats so I might not be seeing so much difference with component inputs. He replied that that could be the case. He also added that he has no info on transition to MPEG4 dates (other than new 411/211 receivers), but personally does not think Dish will move very quickly to the new compression mode. He thinks there are just too many exisiting receivers out there that would need to be replaced.

I don't have a 942, but my 6000 has a noticably brighter picture than my 921 (I think the 921 is accurate). That said, the 6000 has been a really reliable, trouble-free receiver, although the GUI is horrible.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts