Picture Quality on HD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I think it is time to start documenting these PQ problems. I think that VOOM it's working on them but when the work is done I would like to compare to see if these are still there.

HBO-HD East: I think a lot of us have seen the "white strips" that show up from time to time on HBO. It was evident tonight in the Sopranos.

Bravo-HD+: Compression artifacts in movement actions. Saw it in the Jazz concert and other programs.

Cinema 1 - 10, Monsters-HD, and Epics-HD: are now transmitting at 720p instead of 1080i.

If you see anything else that should be documented, please post.

rang1995 said:
many posts on avs forum.(all re DIRECTV)no problems there.so far.i sure hope this will be worked out

I have to report that HBOhd on Directv (before I cancelled on the 4th) did have these white strips, or *tearing* as I like to call it, but not as often, as I see it on Voom, but it was evident there too! Also with the Directv there would be blackouts, for about a half a second every few minutes, with the HBO feed. So this same channel had issues with Directv too. I just wanted to document that.

I think we should also document the problems with (quite a few) SD channels as well! I've noticed SpikeTv, ccomedy central, and ETV, all to have the same problem with specks scattered all over the screen. It is really evident in bright colors like red. It's hard to explain but if you turn to any of those channels and watch for a bit you'll notice what I am talking about. It's really annoying, and is making those channels unwatchable for me. Also I noticed very heavy compression on quite a few SD channels as well (too many to list actually). Some look so much worse than Directv SD feeds. HD on the other hand looks excelent except for the HBO, and Bravo issues. :(

GeneWildershair said:
I have to report that HBOhd on Directv (before I cancelled on the 4th) did have these white strips, or *tearing* as I like to call it, but not as often, as I see it on Voom, but it was evident there too! Also with the Directv there would be blackouts, for about a half a second every few minutes, with the HBO feed. So this same channel had issues with Directv too. I just wanted to document that.
Willy wonka: How was your picture on Voom tonight?

Showtime

I was flicking throught channels Saturday night and stopped at showtimehd. They had boxing on and even though I don't like boxing I wanted to check out picture quality. When the boxer was waving his arms around warming up had terrible pixelation. I wos wondering if sat signal is not strong enough. Maybe they should give us bigger dishes. I think Dishnetworks are 20 or 24". Maybe we could get signal better than 50 and that would help.I noticed on other HD channels reciever doesn't handle fast movement well.

pmalve said:
I was flicking throught channels Saturday night and stopped at showtimehd. They had boxing on and even though I don't like boxing I wanted to check out picture quality. When the boxer was waving his arms around warming up had terrible pixelation. I wos wondering if sat signal is not strong enough. Maybe they should give us bigger dishes. I think Dishnetworks are 20 or 24". Maybe we could get signal better than 50 and that would help.I noticed on other HD channels reciever doesn't handle fast movement well.

Which Showtime channel (East or West), was the fight HD? I thought it was SD?

My install is on 3/10 and I was wondering if the PQ problem is really that bad? I have read that some are really disappointed with Voom over this. What is your guys take on this?

omard. said:
My install is on 3/10 and I was wondering if the PQ problem is really that bad? I have read that some are really disappointed with Voom over this. What is your guys take on this?

To be honest with you, this only happens in some channels so far. We have been told that there is an encoder/decoder problem that is getting resolved. I would not let this discourage you from installing since this problem might go away after the new software update. I felt that everyone should know about it so that there will not be surprises. Overall the PQ is excellent except for these problems that are popping up lately.

omard. said:
I had mine installed over a week ago and my PQ is great on the HD channels.

ch.101-122 in 720p now

Glad to see you mentioned the 720p switch Sean-nobody at Voom seems to be aware of this-I though it was just my box, but apparently not if you realized it too.

Sean Mota said:
Which Showtime channel (East or West), was the fight HD? I thought it was SD?

Must have been ShowtimeHD West becaause it was around 12:30am. Showtime just started showing some fights in HD. Fight was from Foxwoods I think. They must have good equipment. All those slots are paying for something. :)

pmalve said:
Must have been ShowtimeHD West becaause it was around 12:30am. Showtime just started showing some fights in HD. Fight was from Foxwoods I think. They must have good equipment. All those slots are paying for something. :)

I missed it. I turned to it but it was SD. They must have changed to HD afterwards.

I'm watching "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" on Starz HD (West Coast) and the compression artifacts are the worst I've seen on Voom since it was installed in late Dec. Audio also appears to be slightly out of sync. I have signal strength of 58 and signal power of 53, both of which are normal for me.

I did see some compression problems on Varekai yesterday, but not nearly as bad as the start of LOTR.

I also have problems with CNN, sometimes seeing what appears to be a vertical purple line down the center of the screen.

I'm still keen on Voom, and hoping these are the encoder issues we've been hearing about.

Tracey

On cradle 2 the grave the other night I had a lot of picture dropouts. I forgot what channel it was on. It was an HD one I do know that..

I've been getting a lot of signal dropouts and also my guide comes on the screen by itself then dissapears without touching any buttons????

I've noticed that the HD PQ has gone down on everything since last week.

I hope they resolve this soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts