Picture Quality Upgrade

jedi_jackson

Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Hey guys, I currently have the DISH Player-DVR 625. At the time when I signed up for DISH Network, I only had a Standard Definition TV. Well, a few months after signing up, I received a 42'' Plasma HDTV as a gift (and what a gift!). Anyways, the picture is pretty good on the Plasma but not really clear. The best hookup I have with the DVR is the S-Video cable. I would like to get better picture quality, but I really don't want to upgrade to HD just yet. I was wondering what options I have to upgrade the picture quality of the plan that I already have. The picture quailty I would like for example is when I first got the HDTV and I only had S-Video cables to hook up my DVD player, the picture was okay but not great, then I bought the component cables and the picture quailty is great (Not High Def, but I am satisfied with the picture.) Is there someway that I could upgrade the picture quailty with the DVR I have now (ex. something that would upgrade the signal to 720p or at least hookup with component cables) or could I upgrade to the VIP622 DVR?

I know the connection choices with the VIP622 are better and that the standard def. signal is upgraded throught the DVR. Would this be my best choice? I probably would purchase one new instead of lease one, but what kind of fees would I have to pay if I bought one on my own and did not upgrade to a HD programming package. Thanks guys, and sorry if this is long.

The 622 will not improve SD picture and you will be charged a $6 fee for no HD pack.
The only thing you would gain with the 622 is get OTA HD

Best thing to do is get on a HD Plan and use HDMI or componet. SD on a HDTV will look ok but not as good as HD.

The variety of potential connections will not make a difference in your standard non-HD picture. You are wasting a potentially great picture by not feeding the 42" plasma a HD signal. Just using a 622 as a SD receiver is also pretty pointless. I have a HD TV and a 622. Really the SD signal on most of the channesl is poor. SD signal look better on SD TV than they do on HD TVs.

Time to upgrade to a 622, and get the HD package and feed that Plasma a good HD signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)