Picture quality

Man I just bought an 30' sony hdtv to watch the olympics. The pixelization is awful. I don't actually have the hdtv set up yet, so I am hoping that is better. But right now the NBC local is unwatchable. Now I know why people on this forum don't want dish to carry local channels

A 30 FOOT TV. I'm jealous. :D I only have a 60" (5 foot) one. ;)

You don't say which receiver you have, nor what setttings you're using on the TV.

Play with it - read the manual - the TV might be able to line-double or something to help you out.

The compression is exaggerated with a lot of HDtv sets. Even cable is sparsely analog anymore, and the local cable company is offering up 4mb/s internet pipe. They might as well give me the rest of it since they will never be able to compress HD channels enough to deliver more then 20 of them without optical running into the house.

Sat theoretically has no bandwidth limitations. They are going to either have to start sending up better sats or more of them. I imagine they'll just keep sending up cheap ones so that we can buy their new super duper dish pro LE MAX HYDRA EXTREME.

Even without compression, digital will never have the color depth of a good analog signal. (CMYRGB is being developed to give 98% of the visual spectrum, but this doubles bandwidth and analog was always capable of 100%, current RGB standard gives ~50%)

OdiOdin said:
...Sat theoretically has no bandwidth limitations. They are going to either have to start sending up better sats or more of them. I imagine they'll just keep sending up cheap ones so that we can buy their new super duper dish pro LE MAX HYDRA EXTREME.
May I humbly disagree? :rolleyes:

There are extreme limitations in available satellite bandwidth. All the birds being launched have as many transponders as physically possible for their location and radio spectrum. Spotbeams are used to reuse the available spectrum. I (or any number of other members here) can post explicit details if required (but it's not really worth it, is it?).

I said theoretical didn't I? :yes

I'm aware of the limitations, but nothing as expensive as OC3 would be :D

Dish just needs a few HD sats :yes

The best analog picture is C-Band on a BUD
Is it better with a Miller also? What is a "BUD"?

Is the compression with Dish LESS than with Direct TV? I haven't seen Dish, but I have D*TV and it always looked as I was watching a Phony Smearitron (Sony Trinitron) from the 70's from a Beta tape. Smear....I bet the video bandwidth couldn't pass 2 MHz !

NightRyder said:
Uhhh. Did you read what this pertains to?

NightRyder
The FCC doesn't care and never did about picture quality of television (or audio quality of radio stations).
All they care about is what you don't see (vertical and horitzontal blanking intervals, RF ERP, frequency, distortions etc. As long as it locks up and doesn't bother anything/anyone else they are happy.

The 'data' is the FCC's own data.............

videobruce said:
Is it better with a Miller also? What is a "BUD"?

Is the compression with Dish LESS than with Direct TV? I haven't seen Dish, but I have D*TV and it always looked as I was watching a Phony Smearitron (Sony Trinitron) from the 70's from a Beta tape. Smear....I bet the video bandwidth couldn't pass 2 MHz !

BUD = Big Ugly Dish. The original home satellite dishes. Typically 8' and larger.

D* and E* have similar picture quality. Some channels look better on E* some better on D*.

NightRyder

videobruce said:
The FCC doesn't care and never did about picture quality of television (or audio quality of radio stations).
All they care about is what you don't see (vertical and horitzontal blanking intervals, RF ERP, frequency, distortions etc. As long as it locks up and doesn't bother anything/anyone else they are happy.

The 'data' is the FCC's own data.............

Exactly my point. :smug

NightRyder

Thanks NightRyder. I did see that before, but with the additional 1.63 million acronyms I had to learn when I switched my interest from computers to HD and satellites, I forget once in a while.

Is the overall consciences that both of these services (D* & E*) in SD have the same 'smear'?

videobruce said:
Thanks NightRyder. I did see that before, but with the additional 1.63 million acronyms I had to learn when I switched my interest from computers to HD and satellites, I forget once in a while.

Is the overall consciences that both of these services (D* & E*) in SD have the same 'smear'?

E* tends to have a softer picture with less visible artifacts while D* has a sharper picture with more visible artifacts. Pick you poison. :D

NightRyder

That is the opposite of what I would of expected since I can't imagine anything SOFTER than what I have seen with D*!

When I first viewed D* my first comment was about the roll off of the video. It looked as it wasn't passing 2 MHz. No noise, no artifacts and no resolution either! I checked the guys cables swapped another set with the same results. Even tried a couple of other sets all with the same results. Smear. Didn't try another receiver as that might be a issue.

That's better than cables noise? Not for me. Robing Peter to pay Paul.

videobruce said:
That's better than cables noise? Not for me. Robing Peter to pay Paul.

As I stated earlier in this thread it's personal preference. Your robing Peter to pay Paul either way. Personally I wouldn't go back to cable even if the paid me every month! With my local cable system the analog channels are full of noise and ghosts and their digital looks much worse than satellite. On top of that there are frequent outages and poor customer service. No thanks!

NightRyder

I am only 11 amps out which isn't too bad.
I'm sure you are probably 2 or 3 times that which makes matters worse.
My cable image, after they upgraded the system 15 years ago, wasn't that bad, but since it is that long things have deteriorated. No 'ghosts' but the C/N, CTB, intermod, chroma beats etc. have all gotten worse.

videobruce said:
I am only 11 amps out which isn't too bad.
I'm sure you are probably 2 or 3 times that which makes matters worse.

The head end for the local cable system is located in another town 14 driving miles from my home. :shocked

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
The head end for the local cable system is located in another town 14 driving miles from my home. :shocked

NightRyder

I think the station is ony like 3 miles from where i currently live. But the channels were so fuzz distorted or just nasty looking i had to go with dish. and for the record Sci Fi on dish is about 900 times better than it was on my cable adn probablt 3 times better than it was when i had adelphia.

videobruce said:
That is the opposite of what I would of expected since I can't imagine anything SOFTER than what I have seen with D*!

From what I've heard, it depends a lot on the receiver with DirecTV. I would imagine it is because they have been designed and built by so many different companies until now.

NightRyder said:

NightRyder
Is there actually a image that doesn't look as the Blizzard of '77 did here?? You could always move closed to the Head End!

videobruce said:
"Untill now"?
OK, is there only one supplier for D*'s equipment???

They are moving towards a Dish-like model of a single DirecTV brand of hardware. But, unlike Dish, they appear to be designed and built by an actual consumer electronics company. (Thomson? Bad. But, not as bad as Echostar has been.)

They will also be dropping Tivo as their DVR OS, and moving to a system from NDS, which is owned by News Corp. as is DirecTV.

I believe I just saw the first DircTV branded reciever recently on a dealer website. I can't remember which one. It may have been DirecTV's own sales page.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)