Picture seems to glimmer

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
OK....question for the technically gifted people out there. I might be losing my mind but it seems like the screen "glimmers" or there is slight pixelization on the HD channels. HD news seems to be the best picture but I even get this on DHDT, which was always crytal clear on DTV. I have a Toshiba 51" projection TV which is 4 months old and connect it to the motorola via either a heavy duty component cable or a $100 Monster DVI cable. I get the same "glimmer" from either connection. I have read that there might be seom software issues that could be causing this because I do not remember it happening with DTV as I said. ANyone have any thoughts? PIcture still looks good, but if I wanted "good" i would still have the abomination that is Charter Cable.

ty :confused:

yeah voom has problems with PQ. lots of people who've seen HD elsewhere notice HD is only good, not great. so far, except for some problems like stutter, Voom has not acknowledged its PQ is second rate. very disappointing.

My local PBS has a digital loop and even broadcasts an SD subchannel and still the PQ is better than anything I've seen on Voom's HD (both exclusive and non-exclusive) channels. That's sad.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
It seems the Best picture i get is from good ole' PBS via OTA...just doen't seem right :eek:
Thats because if your affiliate isnt multicasting then the HD OTA will be better than any satellite or cable delivered HD channel. There is no better picture than 18-19 mbps HD OTA. Of course multicasting will reduce those numbers and make it suck too.

For me my PBSHD OTA cant hold a candle to HBOHD on V* because of its 3 SD channels. But my CBSHD OTA may be equal to HBOHD or a better.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
IS there any way to get rid of the glimmer factor? or just wit till the bandwith or something improves???? :confused:
I dont know what it is. why not post some pics of glimmer vs non glimmer? This is the first time Ive heard of "glimmer"

DAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNN,

If Voom's PQ is only "good" , especially on its exclusive channels, then I would love to see "great".

Disclaimer: please no HDnet replies. :)

Hes probably talking about the mosquito noise that has been discussed here forever. Tune to EquatorHD and watch any of the "Over" shows and you will see this awful artifact. Please fix this soon Voom, it's terrible.

THe only "glimmer" i notice is in plain backgrounds or dark black, in black backgrounds, it will be as if someone's randomly tossing glitter in the black areas, white squares winking in and out on the dark areas. On BravoHD or Rave especially they will have a concert going on with a dark blue curtain and the curtain will look pixelated like a heavily compressed MPEG movie.

SD channels this happens more than HD.

I'm glad I ran across this thread because I thought I was losing my mind while watching EquatorHD. Portion of the picture would, for lack of a better word, "shimmer". It's very distracting!!

to me it looks like the pixels are swimming around.

on some sd channels, it looks like stars twinkling.

Ah!!! Since we've got no concrete answers yet let's make up answers:

- Twinkling is the patch coming into your STB.

- It's Dish and DirecTV sending in pirated twinkles to ruin your day.

- You can only see twinkles if your stupid/smart.

- The Voom HD signal is so defined, so ultra rich, you're TV can't take it, so it pops and puts twinkles on your screen.

We need to better quantify what it is that we see. Sometimes a statement like "All..." does not give you enough information.

I think we can all agree about Equator-HD and the mosquito noise, glimmer, shimmering or whatever you want to call it. Wilt is looking into this. Look at this thread for the problem Equator HD problem

The SD channels with the Sparkle: CNN, A&E, Comedy Central,... Yes this is also known.

Bravo HD+ and Rave HD on strobe lights concerts will look pixelated as well but I have seen strobe lights also on ABC-HD on the grammys at 19mbsp.

Anything other channels or effect?

You haven't seen on mainly SD (but can happen on HD) channels, something like plain dark blues or reds especially BEHIND someone's face or the centered object(s) look all washed and pixelated blue? You can practically count the squares.

The white-dot twinkling I'm referring to ONLY happens on HD channels, mainly Equator but I've seen it on HDNews, Animania, and HBO-HD at times, for some reason Soundstage on Rave which is showered in darkness I don't get white dots raining in the dark areas. It's like white stars winking in and out very quickly at random locations but ONLY noticeable in black-really dark areas...

Yup Yup

Sean Mota said:
We need to better quantify what it is that we see. Sometimes a statement like "All..." does not give you enough information.

I think we can all agree about Equator-HD and the mosquito noise, glimmer, shimmering or whatever you want to call it. Wilt is looking into this. Look at this thread for the problem Equator HD problem

The SD channels with the Sparkle: CNN, A&E, Comedy Central,... Yes this is also known.

Bravo HD+ and Rave HD on strobe lights concerts will look pixelated as well but I have seen strobe lights also on ABC-HD on the grammys at 19mbsp.

Anything other channels or effect?

I only am talking about HD channels....i run Charter cable in to my tv and split screen it with the composite cable from Voom and Voom kills cable on every channel re: PQ. The picture is still good on Voom HD channels and i am not going to cancel by any means but am hoping Voom can resolve the "mosquito noise, glimmer, shimmering or whatever you want to call it". Is there any hope this will take place and what causes it??? ty :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts