Picture stuttering on some foreign channels. PAL?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bob2011

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hudson Valley NY
I was watching a soccer match tonight on 30w Canal 9 Salta Argentina and the picture stutters during movement. I have seen this on KTV 2 at times as well. Is it because of PAL format or something else?

If it is PAL will a new box like the MicroHD or Openbox smooth out the picture?

Last edited:
For programming originating or broadcast in Argentina the format is likely to be PAL-N (50hz). If the programming is being converted from PAL (50hz) to NTSC (60hz) before the uplink, then a new receiver will make little difference as the signal is being converted prior to you receiving the program. If you are watching programming on a channel that is transmitted at 50hz, the receiver choice can make a tremendous difference if converting for a 60hz display.

If your TV can handle 50hz sources it would be best if you allow the receiver to pass through the native format for the monitor to display rather than allow the STB perform a standards conversion.

Could be. Could also be the FW. I know my S9 with one FW version detected 720p as a PAL 576, or something, and had stuttering video. I also know my digital TV's will lock onto the video if the output of the S9 is set to PAL. So, there could be a combination of things that actually cause it.
If it is PAL will a new box like the MicroHD or Openbox smooth out the picture?
The SSO's seem to be quite inconsistent in operation, some work well with one FW version, others don't. Probably because of different manufacturers or changes in components, really a crap shoot. With the MicroHD about 6 weeks off, I'd wait.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I was behind on the firmware update for my CNX Nano so I updated it. I still notice a stutter or hesitation on the Kuwait channels. It doesn't matter that much but I do watch KTV 2 occasionally for the American and Canadian programs they air. Right now on KTV1 the news crawl is not smooth and it freezes/hesitates randomly. It does this on both sets of Kuwait channels on 97w and 30w. It reminds me of when I installed a kworld tv tuner in a slow 1Ghz computer with onboard graphics and the CNBC ticker would hesitate.

It's has to do a video frame rates differences, 60 Hz at 30 FPs i or 60 FPs P and the 50 Hz use 25 FPs i and 50 FPs P.:)

My Sathawk reciever, does a pretty good job reducing frame rate diffrences by up converting from 50 Hz from 576i and P and same goes for 720P and 1080i to 1080i 60 Hz mode!:D

I had a similar issue using my Viewsat Ultra on the KTV1 signal and many others. I started using my Sonicview and the problems greatly improved. The Sonicview seems to have firmware that is a lot more refined than the Viewsat, but I keep the Viewsat around since it has a channel 3/4 rf modulator built in.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts