Pictures from this site are being used on ebay

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bob2011

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hudson Valley NY
I was looking at an auction for a conical scaler ring and the pictures jumped out at me as being familiar. They appear to have used pictures of Iceberg's dish farm in the auction. :eek: I guess this is fine if Leomall is connected to Iceberg in some way or they got his permission. It surprises me that a company wouldn't use their own pictures.

Conical Scaler Ring & LNB Bracket C to Ku Band Kit FTA - eBay (item 220593183677 end time Feb-14-11 14:58:03 PST)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpe...-ws-international-ws-ku2c-conical-scalar.html

Last edited:
yeah I seen that before. Also says they are supposedly a reseller of WSI products.

hmmm......interesting

Well if it bothers you guys they also used the pictures on their own website as well :(

LeoMall.com :: HOME AUDIO-VIDEO :: Free To Air (FTA) Satellite Equipments & Accessories :: Free To Air (FTA) Satellite Installation Equipment & Parts :: Conical Scaler Ring & LNB Bracket C to Ku Band Kit FTA

A few years ago I had a hot product on ebay and was killing several auctions a day after other sellers caught on to my product. Not only did they steal my pictures but some of them stole every word in my listing trying to pretend they were an alternate store of mine :mad:

I can understand the occasional borrowing of a picture by a casual seller but a business doing this without permission is another story.

Pix on the SatGuy's site are public domain... so, I don't think there's anything you can legally do about it.
It certainly IS bad form, though.

Here are more of Leo's eBay postings using Iceberg pictures:
Complete Dual C Band LNBF & Conical Scaler Ring Kit FTA - eBay (item 220655380978 end time Feb-12-11 09:17:27 PST)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-C-BAND...985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa3e07c41

I -think- I've seen the motor pic with the level on SatGuy's but won't swear to it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-6-SG6000-He...902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364392d86

Pix on the SatGuy's site are public domain... so, I don't think there's anything you can legally do about it.

Not correct, anything posted here are protected under copyright. I had a long talk with Ebay about this yesterday. :)

Here are Ebays rules on using photos that are not yours. Images and text policy

Any way to in cert a watermark into images uploaded to the site?

..they are supposedly a reseller of WSI products....
They're also selling DMSI products, but I don't think either company need apologize for their dealer using our pictures.

Not correct, anything posted here are protected under copyright. I had a long talk with Ebay about this yesterday. :)

Here are Ebays rules on using photos that are not yours. Images and text policy

I do not think that being a PP about it is the right thing to do even if it is "illegal". :no

It does not sound like Iceberg is too concerned about it. I think the right thing to do is contact the seller and either put Iceberg's name on it or a SatelliteGuys banner on it to promote the hobby and this website along with their products! :D

You could take it as a compliment. Great pics that they themselves were unable to produce...

I personally don't see any harm in anyone else using our (well, any of MY pix). None of us are releasing any great secrets, we are not sabotaging national security nor our own. And the only people that know anything about the pix are us and the individual that borrowed them without asking. As someone here posted, it is in very bad form, but it really doesn't hurt anyone. Not in this case. I would totally change my tune if it showed a house number or a street sign or a person's photo along with it. That would be invasion into privacy for one and most certainly worriesome! Regardless, from E-Bay's point of view, it is obviously false advertising as the picture is not the seller's product.

So, no matter what their intentions were, nor how innocent or naive, it still isn't the correct thing to do. It truly is not legal. And, better for them if they learn this now with no ramifications other than a blushing look of suprise and embarassment on their face than to allow them to go on and eventually do something that truly is harmful and have that come back and bite them.

They are probably better off for have been called to the carpet on the issue now. And, probably, so are we!

Scott, I think you made the proper and most appropriate choice with your actions. If left unchecked, that person or others may deem it acceptable to use more than just snapshots of our dish farm pictures. Yeah, good call in my opinion.

Gordy (RADAR)

My lawyer tells me that is anyone is infringing on our trademarks or copyrights that I MUST take action. If I don't take action then it can actually be used against us later on.

Honestly if people just asked because they used things I would probably give them my ok. :)

My lawyer tells me that is anyone is infringing on our trademarks or copyrights that I MUST take action. If I don't take action then it can actually be used against us later on.

Honestly if people just asked because they used things I would probably give them my ok. :)

Right. If you don't complain now and someone took something you do care about then they'll want to know why you never complained before. It does say at the bottom of every page "Copyright 2003 - 2010 SatelliteGuys Incorporated - All Rights Reserved".

Which should probably be edited to include 2011.

One just has to do a Google Search and the Pics are Free for the Taking:

Code:
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1423&bih=726&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=c+band+lnb&aq=7&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=c+ba

:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.