Status
Please reply by conversation.

kianfar

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
VA
Hello,

We got our FTA system installed in year 2000 to get some Iranian Channels. Since then, we have moved to a new location, within Virginia and moved the install over here. The system was working fine since 2004 in this current location, but as of last week, the quality of the channels dropped, and so it was unbearable to watch tv. Lots of frame freezes, system searching etc...

I thought maybe the receiver was kicking the bucket, so I purchased a brand new OmegaSat DSB5701 off Ebay. Well, the receiver came, and I ran the test. It picked up 400 channels, but I'm having the same issues. Channels show up, but I lose frame, sound, and sometimes they completely disrepair. As of right now, I'm getting in the 90's range for the signal, and the quality fluctuates from 60% to 30%. First picture, as you can see, it's at 37% and it kept cutting out on me, as far as audio, and picture.

As of right now, having fixed the receiver, I'm thinking the next step might be the LNB? I've taken some pictures for you guys, so it makes it easier and hopefully you can help me. The satellite is installed very sturdy, so I don't really think it has moved. Also I'm getting 91% Signal, but I know signal is always good regardless. I think the current LNB is from Samsung, couldn't really read the model etc... What should I do?

SAT- (1).JPGSAT- (2).JPGSAT- (3).JPGSAT- (4).JPGSAT- (5).JPGSAT- (6).JPGSAT- (7).JPGSAT- (8).JPG

37 on quality just might need to move the dish a little.. mark current location so u dont get lost. you should max out on that dish around 72-80% for a omega

Are you talking about the actual dish all together? Move it left to right and or up and down? Is there a reason, all of a sudden, I'm getting such low ratings, it's been working fine for the past 10 years. We haven't really had any windy days. I'm very surprised that, it's out of it's focus point. Also what's an Omega?

Even without moving the dish, simply push gently on it at top and side while watching your video. Does the Quality reading increase or decrease? Does the video change? This is a check you can do without actually moving the dish. The Omega is your new receiver.

So I just went outside, and it seems like the only adjustment I can make is for the dis to go up vertically or down vertically. There is no left and right. Simply up and down! Also if you notice, on the reading, there is a 3-0-3. Right now, it's on the bottom, so should I bring it to 0 position? I tried pushing it a little, but like I said, it's nice and tight, so it didn't really improve. So to get this straight, I don't mess with the LNB position? Because on top of the LNB, there are readings as well. Like 30 degrees, 40 degrees etc...

SAT- (11).JPGSAT- (10).JPGSAT- (9).JPG

You have VA as your location, that makes 97W quite a ways west of you, yet the LNBF appears to be at 0° skew. Think it should be rotated around 25°. Top of the LNBF towards the west. Try this first if I am correct. then:
Without loosening any bolts, see if slight pressure on the the, dish left & right or up & down. increase the Quality reading. If it does, loosen and adjust as necessary. If not, before replacing the LNBF, check the coax connectors in the LNBF line for corrosion. Replace any that are discolored. Lastly, replace LNBF.
Remove power when messing with coax connectors.

That is correct, my location is East Coast, Northern Virginia. Man, I don't know if I can mess with this. Is there a forum section, to get a professional to come over and take a look. I know it's simple, but lol... Anybody in VA do these installs. I remember these things used to be so hot back in the day. Now they got all sorts of things like GLWIZ where you connect it to you internet, and you don't mess with it like these.

Is there an iPhone app or something, that I can use the phone's geo system, and wold tell me exactly the oration and elevation of the dish? I'm home alone right now, waiting for someone to come home, so we can move it up and down slowly and see if the signal improves inside. Using the OmegaSat DSB-5701, what's the best way to see my signal meter? Is it by going to settings, antenna settings, and looking at the Galaxy 19 KU?

You don't need an app as you are already on the satellite and it only needs a small adjustment. Not familiar with the menus on that receiver, so cannot comment on how to best view the signal meter. It might be only in the antenna settings menu.

While in front of the dish and careful not to block the satellite signal, rotate the LNBF (in the circular clamp) counter clockwise 25 degrees while someone inside tells you if the Signal Quality reading is increasing of decreasing. There is usually one or two Phillips head screws that tighten this clamp. That means that the coax cable connection will be aimed at approximately the 4 o'clock position. Like in an earlier post, the LNBF will NOT be installed with the coax cable aimed straight down for your area.

The dish can rotate left and right be slightly loosening the two bolts that camp the dish to the mast. Before loosening these bolts, carefully apply pressure to the left or right side of the dish to see if the Signal Quality reading increases.

Yeah you can do this yourself, no need to pay someone. You are there, just needs tweaking. Go out like the others have said and just slightly nudge your dish left and right and up and down, without loosening any bolts. If your quality goes up then you will know if you have to go from there. I would do the skew first on the lnbf. If you do all that and no change you may have a corroded connecter somewhere.

kianfar said:
Is there an iPhone app or something, that I can use the phone's geo system, and wold tell me exactly the oration and elevation of the dish? I'm home alone right now, waiting for someone to come home, so we can move it up and down slowly and see if the signal improves inside. Using the OmegaSat DSB-5701, what's the best way to see my signal meter? Is it by going to settings, antenna settings, and looking at the Galaxy 19 KU?

If you have an Android phone, you can download this app called (Satellite Director) it is free I downloaded it last week. It works like a satellite finder, it beeps when you move it to the circle to the satellite you wanted you have to select the satellite. I live in Columbia, Md not too far from you and i was able to get Galaxy 19 channels. The quality was 79 and the strength was 75. Which was good. I was able to get Nigerian tv, Al jezeera, Press tv, and couple of Middle East tv Channels.

kianfar said:

I forgot you have to put your phone in front of the Lnb and move your dish to where the satellite location on the phone is and also twist the Lnb to get the best quality. I am still newbie at the FTA thing but this app makes me feel like a Pro.

I forgot you have to put your phone in front of the Lnb and move your dish to where the satellite location on the phone is and also twist the Lnb to get the best quality. I am still newbie at the FTA thing but this app makes me feel like a Pro.

That would be the last spot to put a phone as the dish will skrew with the gps on the phone .

Like others the skew of the lnb looks off after you max it out fallow AV's directions just make sure to mark where the dish is and the elivation so you can go back to what you had prior

So I've been moving the Satellite, and I made the reception improve from 33% to 45-50%. Some channels a bit more, but I'm finding that it fluctuates, and it pulls back. Haven't been able to set it perfect so I'm pulling a constant 80% etc... Things are watchable, but depending on wind condition etc, they can cut off, and that's when I know the quality meter has probably dropped in the 30% range. What's a fair ideal quality everyone is getting on their system? Are you all getting 80% and more etc... Also is there any new software firmware on the OmegaSat DSB5701. I notice, even though I just bought this unit, the actually firmware is from 2010.

Good to hear you're making headway. Mark the elevation and the pole - mount so you can 'get back to the starting point' if you happen to loosen something too much, and the dish drops or spins on the pole.
Different receivers will read differently for the same signal. Some may only read 50-60 where another brand will read 70-80.
Did you twist the LNBF ~25° CCW, (when looking at the face of the dish) top towards the west? Think this could make a big difference.
I'm actually surprised the Quality was good enough to work much at all with the LNBF skew off that much.
Take your time, and only make very small adjustments to the dish, one at a time. In no time you'll see further improvements. Maybe even get the Quality reading above 70.
>> I notice, even though I just bought this unit, the actually firmware is from 2010. << None listed on this forum, So I'm thinking there are none. the distributor is WSIDigital, might contact them. Although, a firmware update isn't going to do anything to help your situation.

Good to hear you're making headway. Mark the elevation and the pole - mount so you can 'get back to the starting point' if you happen to loosen something too much, and the dish drops or spins on the pole.
Different receivers will read differently for the same signal. Some may only read 50-60 where another brand will read 70-80.
Did you twist the LNBF ~25° CCW, (when looking at the face of the dish) top towards the west? Think this could make a big difference.
I'm actually surprised the Quality was good enough to work much at all with the LNBF skew off that much.
Take your time, and only make very small adjustments to the dish, one at a time. In no time you'll see further improvements. Maybe even get the Quality reading above 70.
>> I notice, even though I just bought this unit, the actually firmware is from 2010. << None listed on this forum, So I'm thinking there are none. the distributor is WSIDigital, might contact them. Although, a firmware update isn't going to do anything to help your situation.

I see, the dish is spotted in a really weird place, so access is hard. Sometimes tweaking it too much, loses the whole thing. Then you are even happy with the 50% you had before, so I have been content with what I got. Couple of hours into the trial, I was out all signal and that was not fun. That's when I was begging for that 30% lol. I didn't make any big moves on the LNB, it's dark now, but I'll take a picture for you guys tomorrow. Thanks for the response on the WSI link.

So I've been moving the Satellite, and I made the reception improve from 33% to 45-50%. Some channels a bit more, but I'm finding that it fluctuates, and it pulls back. Haven't been able to set it perfect so I'm pulling a constant 80% etc... Things are watchable, but depending on wind condition etc, they can cut off, and that's when I know the quality meter has probably dropped in the 30% range. What's a fair ideal quality everyone is getting on their system? Are you all getting 80% and more etc... Also is there any new software firmware on the OmegaSat DSB5701. I notice, even though I just bought this unit, the actually firmware is from 2010.

Can you take a photo of the area your dish is pointing at? To me this sounds like a tree issue. The wind blowing the leaves into the path of the satellite signal. On calmer days signal is OK, but when there is a little more wind loss of signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Finding 121° West (Echostar 9/Galaxy 23)

Chick-fil-A Leadercast 2012 - 5/4/2012

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts