Pioneer says goodbye to plasma manufacturing

Wow, the Kuro was one of the best TV's you could own. Maybe the HD industry has realized that it has to come to J6P if it really wants to grow.

I am shocked. I am not fond of plasmas, but certainly saw them get better and have a resurgence in the market. But long term, I don't think it is possible for them to reduce costs as much as LCD will reduce costs (despite what the article referenced).

I certainly did not expect the maker of the finest plasma TVs to fold up their tent, especially this early. I guess they did not see profits coming in the foreseeable future from the Kuros.

Question is - will this bode ill for plasmas as a whole, or just Pioneer? And will Panasonic start making pseudo-Kuros?

Little bit of confusion behind this. Another forum that I visit (with many who are dealers for Pioneer) say that they only might be discontinuing the 42" consumer panels, but will continue to make the larger size professional panels (that includes the Kuros). But it's hard to be sure at this point.

If indeed they do stop...that'd be awful. First Fujitsu and then Pioneer. Panasonic is great but can't measure up to Pioneer at all.

Wow. Big blow to plasma.

What other top companys make plasma now?? Samsung, Panasonic. Any others??

Panasonic is the biggest. By far. Hitachi and LG also make them. Some come out of China.

Apparently these reports were based on erroneous information. Pioneer is apparently looking to restructure their manufacturing process, they will not say any more at this point. However, they did say they are NOT dropping Kuro. :D

Well the press release from Friday in JP said they will produce their own plasmas this next model year (starts in a couple months) then outsource the panels next year. They just did not sell enough plasmas to be able to afford a new 10G factory to make big panels. Panasonic is the one said to be making their panels after this year is over. Panasonic is building a new plant, should be able to mass produce 75" panels.

Seventy Five inches! Think they'll charge people just to see one in action in the store? Or maybe "invitation only?" ;)

Upon further research, it looks like only the consumer (Pioneer) models are affected, the professional (Elite) models are not.

Last edited:
Upon further research, it looks like only the consumer (Pioneer) models are affected, the professional (Elite) models are not.

It is all of them: http://pioneer.jp/press/pdf/ir/080307_restructuring-e.pdf

However, we have judged that maintaining the cost competitiveness of plasma
display panels at projected sales volumes will be difficult going forward. Accordingly,
we have decided to terminate in-house plasma display panel production and to procure
these panels externally, after panel production for our next series of models is
complete. This move will allow us to transform our business model for displays from
vertically integrated, capital-intensive operations to a leaner business model geared to
making value-added product proposals. Pioneer is currently in discussions on the
feasibility of procuring panel modules that may incorporate the Company’s proprietary
technologies. Details will be announced as soon as they are finalized.
Pioneer plans to review its production structure in conjunction with the
termination of plasma display panel production and to streamline the entire display
business to a scale commensurate with sales. We aim to compensate for cutbacks in
the plasma display business by driving further expansion in our growth businesses.
This will be done by shifting related personnel and other business resources to the Car
Electronics business; the professional sound & visual (Pro SV) business, which
involves DJ equipment; and the audio/video product business, including Blu-ray Discrelated
products.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)