PIP

Tech Portal : How To : Picture in Picture

Description
Picture in Picture allows you to watch two different programs at the same time when in Single Mode. The TV does not have to have the PIP feature to view PIP with the receiver.

Receivers
  • ViP 222
  • ViP 222k
  • ViP 622 DVR
  • ViP 722 DVR
  • ViP 722k DVR
How To
  1. Put the receiver into single mode
  2. Press the PIP button on the remote to open the PIP window.
  3. Press the PIP button a second time to enlarge the PIP window.
  4. Press the PIP button a third time to arrange the windows side-by-side (on supported receivers).
  5. To move the PIP window, press the Position button to choose the new location.
  6. To change the viewed program from the PIP window to the main window, press the Swap button.
  7. By pressing the Position button while viewing full screen, the screen will split into side-by-side PIP (on supported receivers).
  8. To view the programming from the other tuner while in full screen, press the Swap button.

What they do not mention is how to change channel in the PIP window.

Press the right arrow (browse) button.
Enter or scan to the channel number you want then press the PIP button.

i find it just as easy to swap , change to channel, and swap back

I use the same technique in PIP as mentioned before when using the swap button, can utilize full screen to make the change.

Last edited:
once i swith to the single mode how do i switch back to the dual mode?

Same way. There is only one way to switch between modes and that is the mode button on the front of the receiver. If it doesnt work then try holding the power button on the front of the receiver (not the remote) for 10 seconds and wait for the picture to come back. Once it comes back try the mode button again. If that doesnt work then you may want to call Dish directly for troubleshooting.

I say the last line because no matter what you tell them, you will still have to troubleshoot with them before they replace anything.

Same way. There is only one way to switch between modes and that is the mode button on the front of the receiver. If it doesnt work then try holding the power button on the front of the receiver (not the remote) for 10 seconds and wait for the picture to come back. Once it comes back try the mode button again. If that doesnt work then you may want to call Dish directly for troubleshooting.

I say the last line because no matter what you tell them, you will still have to troubleshoot with them before they replace anything.

Thanks, I didn't know how to switch modes :D

I love using PIP for sports, but one thing that has always bothered me is all the locations on the screen they give for the PIP on the 722 are in the 4x3 protected area. It would be great to have the option of putting the PIP in one of the far corners, or just moving it where ever we want it. The places allowed now all cut too far into the action of the main window.

Anyone care to guess if this is easily fixed with a software upgrade that just allows more on-screen locations, or is this something hardcoded into the hardware and not able to be changed? Who would I complain to with hopes of having the options added?

Mike

One more neato thing about pip is that you can back-up both of the tuners to "get behind" live feed for skipping commercials or whatever, then close the pip window and watch just one of the tuners for a while. If you hit the swap button, it will toggle to the other tuner, which is still behind and not live feed as you might expect. The pip'd tuner can even be paused when you close the pip window, and when you swap or bring up the pip window again, the pip tuner is still paused.

I use this in the morning to watch and pause CNN on one tuner and local Hawaii NBC affilliate news and weather on the other. If the pip window blocks something I want to see, I close it. When I bring it back or swap to the pip'd tuner, it is in the same state as when I closed it (paused, delayed or live, etc.)

Very cool. :)

I love using PIP for sports, but one thing that has always bothered me is all the locations on the screen they give for the PIP on the 722 are in the 4x3 protected area. It would be great to have the option of putting the PIP in one of the far corners, or just moving it where ever we want it. The places allowed now all cut too far into the action of the main window.

Anyone care to guess if this is easily fixed with a software upgrade that just allows more on-screen locations, or is this something hardcoded into the hardware and not able to be changed? Who would I complain to with hopes of having the options added?

Mike

This bugs the hell out of me with football especially. Would be nice for user preferred locations.

i find it just as easy to swap , change to channel, and swap back

True, but, sometimes, I really don't want to miss any of the audio on the big screen, and I don't want to have to skip back later because it does take a long time for the channel to change.

Mike

I can only agree with you 100%

Why is the 612 off the list of receivers with PP capability? I was wondering that the other day after they installed one in my bedroom. I tried to push the PP button like I do on my 622 and nothing happens.

Thanks! :hatsoff: I've been using the PiP for years and was always wondering if there was a way to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)