Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTOR OF PIRATED SATELLITE EQUIPMENT AND SERVICES AGREES TO PLEAD GUILTY

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., July 19, 2006 – EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) along with NagraStar announced today that another distributor in an international satellite piracy ring in Simi Valley, California has agreed to plead guilty in a California federal court to two felony offenses – theft of satellite signals and theft of trade secrets. The accused faces a maximum of 15 years in prison and a fine of more than $750,000 plus restitution.

Based on an extensive surveillance operation by EchoStar and NagraStar, the FBI executed a search and seizure warrant against Alexander Gluzman on March 3, 2006. Gluzman was found in possession of devices used for the unauthorized decryption of DISH Network’s satellite programming and is expected to be arraigned on the charges July 31st in a Los Angeles District Court.

Gluzman, who lives in the San Fernando Valley, admitted to distributing DISH Network satellite services and equipment to customers throughout the United States and Canada through emails and telephone calls. EchoStar Communications and NagraStar began to track Gluzman’s activity in 2005 and were able to record evidence that led to the search and seizure and the theft of satellite signals charge, a violation of Title 47, Section 605(e)(4).

The second charge, theft of trade secrets, a violation of Title 18, Section 1832 (a)(2), is the result of infractions against another national satellite provider discovered during the investigation. Gluzman has admitted to obtaining and unlawfully distributing trade secrets and proprietary information from that provider.

This is only one of many piracy investigations in recent months that EchoStar and NagraStar have followed through to prosecution. The companies have and will continue to fight those who try to circumvent the security system by illegally intercepting and descrambling the satellite signal being provided to legitimate customers.

I guess people are going to post "Way to go" etc...

Does anyone think this......

Shouldn't they have fixed the problem by making a more secure system like D* did?

You don't see this happening with D* anymore because they took care of the problem, instead of making a temporary solution.

If you shut down one person, that's just more for the next.

And what about these people using "FTA" receivers that can be legally purchased???

Personally, I hate the fact that people steal because it is not fair to those of us who pay. However, I think it's E*'s responsibility to prevent it from happening in the first place.

miguelaqui said:

... However, I think it's E*'s responsibility to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I think Dish should do what is best for Dish from a business perspective. Nothing more and nothing less.

riffjim4069 said:
Personally, I'm tired of E* making it so easy for people to steal service...we're all paying for it in the back pocket. E* should have corrected the problem long ago.

YES!!! Everyone loses..... Cable companies, DirecTv, etc... the only ones who gain are those dealing with the illegal stuff.

That's what a lot of people do not see!

YES!!! Everyone loses..... Cable companies, DirecTv, etc... the only ones who gain are those dealing with the illegal stuff.

do you really think they losses, never heared of tax right off

it's people like you and me pay the price in the end

Last edited:
lupe, I do not agree with stealing, however the quote that the only one who gains is the illegal stuff? Since DirecTv became secure, I have not noticed a drop in rates, fee's or even a big surge in what is offered. I have Dish and love it, had charter that was junk, cable is unhackable (digatil) not cheap or a value by any means. direct.tv, just about the same as hacked Dish, plus and minus here and there. Just when do we stop paying more for this? It is wrong to take what is not yours, or paid for,all the other rational is BS.

Hackers give us legit FTA folks a bad name. Just go to the FTA area of this site and see how long you can talk about hacking :) I hope that FTA receivers and gear remain available and that we are not punished for the hackers bad activities.

miguelaqui said:
I guess people are going to post "Way to go" etc...

Shouldn't they have fixed the problem by making a more secure system like D* did?

You don't see this happening with D* anymore because they took care of the problem, instead of making a temporary solution.

If you shut down one person, that's just more for the next.

And what about these people using "FTA" receivers that can be legally purchased???

Personally, I hate the fact that people steal because it is not fair to those of us who pay. However, I think it's E*'s responsibility to prevent it from happening in the first place.

FTA receivers will stil be available...there may be fewer models because some fo these manufacturers (the clone ones) will go belly up.

Most fo the good models have been around for years :)

It does amaze me how openly the receivers and "lifetime subscriptions" are openly sold. And they all have names that are real similar to the real ones. Like everything else, it will probably be the people that go by the rules that get punished :) Oh well, I say stick it to the cheaters! :)

Seems it was just a few years ago, the situation was reversed. D* was the one hacked the most, and E* the least. It will change again.

"Making it so easy to steal?" - Try telling the judge is was so easy to break a window and help yourself to their silverware, it was the owner's fault.

I just hope they got this guys computer and it has all of the contact information for all of the people that bought illegal service.

budda said:
however the quote that the only one who gains is the illegal stuff? Since DirecTv became secure, I have not noticed a drop in rates, fee's or even a big surge in what is offered. I have Dish and love it, had charter that was junk, cable is unhackable (digital) not cheap or a value by any means. direct.tv, just about the same as hacked Dish, plus and minus here and there. Just when do we stop paying more for this?

OK This is what I meant...if someone is stealing servive, that means that they are not going to pay for it.....

If they had cable, they'll disconnect or downgrade.
If they had DTV, they'll disconnect or downgrade.
That's how more than just E* will lose.

miguelaqui said:

Scott Greczkowski said:
The second charge, theft of trade secrets, a violation of Title 18, Section 1832 (a)(2), is the result of infractions against another national satellite provider discovered during the investigation. Gluzman has admitted to obtaining and unlawfully distributing trade secrets and proprietary information from that provider.

You sure that D* is secure?

If so, then who is the second non-E* national satellite provider?

HDTVFanAtic said:
You sure that D* is secure?

If so, then who is the second non-E* national satellite provider?

could be VOOM even tho they ant on their own anymore they still arnt really part of E*, are they?

oh and D* isn't secure i have personally seen (that w/ my own two eyes) a hacked P4 card, it is hacked its just very very secret and only a few people have access to the hacks... i do not condone hacking of anykinda and i believe that hacking is one of the worst crimes in the computer/ communications trades... but i have seen hacked D* equipment

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)