Place your bets...7 new TMP HD channels at 110.

I think the charlie chat to which you are referring is this one:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/127839-charlie-chat-recap-march-10th.html
That other one was a Retail Chat ;)

I ma not sure either of those links is right, but several times new HD has been announced before it happened, including giving specific dates. The best example is that there was more than a month notice on History HD, Discovery HD, TLC HD, Science HD, etc.

That said, I am bearish on new HD for Dish. In fact, I think we are more likely to lose some HD (Especially locals) before we get any more.

I saw something confidential today that leads me to believe that there is no renewed contract with a major player, and that some properties might drop off of Dish Jan 1. If that happens, the Voom and Lifetime squabbles will look like child's play.

Dish is still negotiating with CBS, which would count out Showtime, etc. I think that deal expires Jan. 1, but I don't think either side would shut down service. I get the feeling both sides of the other well-known squabble are itching to pull the trigger.

There MIGHT be some new HD. I have been told Dish has the contractual right to light up ESPN-U HD anytime it wants. Dish also has the right to make all the Comcast Sports Nets 24-hours anytime it wants.

So what was it you saw that was confidential that leads you to these conclusions (usually confidential means you keep it to yourself) and you've been told buy a CSR that Dish can light up ESPNU and Comcast????? Is it is what it is does anyone besides E* itself know probably not......

He nevers mention new HD untill it is linked. He will talk anout the Golf Virsus split since that has happen..
Yep ,I've seen many Charlie Chats and not once has he announced new HD that wasn't already giving to us about 1- 2 weeks before the chat. I wouldn't expect anything Big AT ALL tonight. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so this time.

So what was it you saw that was confidential that leads you to these conclusions (usually confidential means you keep it to yourself) and you've been told buy a CSR that Dish can light up ESPNU and Comcast????? Is it is what it is does anyone besides E* itself know probably not......

First, I don't know anyone at Dish and when I talk to CSRs, I only talk about repairs.

I can't talk about what I saw more than what I said.

Generally, there are quite a few carriage contracts that are coming up for renewal in the next few months. Dish is not the only company facing this kind of thing. A lot of Cable companies and Directv are in the same boat.

As to ESPN and Comcast, I have friends in the sports programming business. My understanding is both Directv and Dish could turn ESPN-U HD on at any time. IF they did, their payments to ESPN would go up slightly.

As for the Comcast Sports Net channels that Dish carries in HD part-time now, my understanding is that Dish could turn those on full-time anytime they want. It would cost no more money. As I understand it, dealings between Comcast and Dish are pretty amiable these days.

OK, I'm ready to place my bets after Charlie Chat. Yeah, I know, that's cheating, but I'm going to go in a different direction than most people. I posted this in the CC Recap, but I'm going to flesh it out a little more.

My bet...the 7 TMP channels are ALL intended to be Showtime related. Here's why.

In March, Charlie showed 25 channel logos that he said they were working on. It included a premium channel from every package except Showtime. It also included 5 Viacom channels and 2 Rainbow channels.

We know what happened to Rainbow. We can assume they were fighting with Viacom over the N/Noggin split, or Logo, or both. Everything else on that list came to fruition. (The only exception was that they added different Cinemax channels.)

In May, right before a major new channel addition, one (possibly more) Showtime HD channels was/were uplinked, but never materialized.

Over the summer, DISH made a major push with Premiums. The packages were filled out completely with the exception of one Cinemax channel. Even HBO Zone appeared. They began promoting the Cinemax for a penny bit. They started offering three months of free HBO and Starz. Showtime was totally ignored.

There had to have been a major beef between CBS and DISH. HD Premiums are great for DISH because they pay for themselves...all it costs them is bandwidth. (Oddly, they DID add Smithsonian Channel in the middle of this, which is managed by Showtime.)

The fact that DISH suddenly showed a generic Showtime logo for the first time makes me think there's been a break in the deadlock. And with 7 TMP channels warming up...count 'em up. West, Too, Showcase, Extreme, Beyond, TMC-E, and TMCX-E.

Now, some people have pointed out that there are 7 Viacom channels too. But two of them don't exist yet.

Well, maybe it's 5 Viacom and 2 Fox channels. But here's the deal. Every basic HD channel added before the 31st costs Charlie profits. He has to add them to the HD Absolute package.

The reason the TurboHD packages cost more than HD Absolute, but without much extra to show for it is that they left room to grow. Yes, the RSNs take a good chunk of that, but they OVERpriced those packages so they can afford to add new HD as it comes.

I'm willing to bet that Viacom and maybe those 2 Fox channels are a done deal, but they aren't scheduled to start until price increase time. Then they open up TurboHD for existing subscribers. HD Absolute customers won't get these new channels. They'll be encouraged to move up to a Turbo package.

Adding Viacom or Fox channels today costs Charlie money. Adding Showtime channels today potentially MAKES Charlie money...all those shiny new HDTVs that will be opened for Christmas need programming, and if you were signing up for HD today, Showtime is not an attractive way to spend an extra $10 a month.

Whether or not it will actually be turned on until Ciel-2 is active is another question. Technically, they don't HAVE to wait, but they might to be safe. But IF we see any national HD before the end of the year, it's gonna be Showtime. My bets have been placed. :D

I think I'll stick with what I said in the first reply to this thread. At least I got one thing right: These same 7 channels are the same 7 Viacom logos on the Chat.

Viacom:
MTV
VH1
CMT
Spike
Nick
Comedy Central
BET

As I said in the recap thread, I will be very upset if those 7 are Showtime/TMC channels.

OK, I'm ready to place my bets after Charlie Chat. Yeah, I know, that's cheating, but I'm going to go in a different direction than most people. I posted this in the CC Recap, but I'm going to flesh it out a little more.

My bet...the 7 TMP channels are ALL intended to be Showtime related. Here's why.

In March, Charlie showed 25 channel logos that he said they were working on. It included a premium channel from every package except Showtime. It also included 5 Viacom channels and 2 Rainbow channels.

We know what happened to Rainbow. We can assume they were fighting with Viacom over the N/Noggin split, or Logo, or both. Everything else on that list came to fruition. (The only exception was that they added different Cinemax channels.)

In May, right before a major new channel addition, one (possibly more) Showtime HD channels was/were uplinked, but never materialized.

Over the summer, DISH made a major push with Premiums. The packages were filled out completely with the exception of one Cinemax channel. Even HBO Zone appeared. They began promoting the Cinemax for a penny bit. They started offering three months of free HBO and Starz. Showtime was totally ignored.

There had to have been a major beef between CBS and DISH. HD Premiums are great for DISH because they pay for themselves...all it costs them is bandwidth. (Oddly, they DID add Smithsonian Channel in the middle of this, which is managed by Showtime.)

The fact that DISH suddenly showed a generic Showtime logo for the first time makes me think there's been a break in the deadlock. And with 7 TMP channels warming up...count 'em up. West, Too, Showcase, Extreme, Beyond, TMC-E, and TMCX-E.

Now, some people have pointed out that there are 7 Viacom channels too. But two of them don't exist yet.

Well, maybe it's 5 Viacom and 2 Fox channels. But here's the deal. Every basic HD channel added before the 31st costs Charlie profits. He has to add them to the HD Absolute package.

The reason the TurboHD packages cost more than HD Absolute, but without much extra to show for it is that they left room to grow. Yes, the RSNs take a good chunk of that, but they OVERpriced those packages so they can afford to add new HD as it comes.

I'm willing to bet that Viacom and maybe those 2 Fox channels are a done deal, but they aren't scheduled to start until price increase time. Then they open up TurboHD for existing subscribers. HD Absolute customers won't get these new channels. They'll be encouraged to move up to a Turbo package.

Adding Viacom or Fox channels today costs Charlie money. Adding Showtime channels today potentially MAKES Charlie money...all those shiny new HDTVs that will be opened for Christmas need programming, and if you were signing up for HD today, Showtime is not an attractive way to spend an extra $10 a month.

Whether or not it will actually be turned on until Ciel-2 is active is another question. Technically, they don't HAVE to wait, but they might to be safe. But IF we see any national HD before the end of the year, it's gonna be Showtime. My bets have been placed. :D

I think you may be on to something. :)

I agree there will be several Showtime channels added on those temp channels but I don't think it will all be Showtime.

They should stop misleading ads on TV, saying 150 national HD channels by end of year. Sounds like false advertising to me.

I really think these 7 will depend on what happens with Ceil-2.

Charlie only mentioned (by mentioned, I mean showed a slide) the biggest nationals that have the widest appeal last night. If he announces that they are trying to get those channels and are about to launch these niche channels (say E!, Style, G4, ESPNU, Sleuth, Chiller, Crime & Investigation).

If Ceil 2 goes boom :eek: you'd be stuck with the niche stuff rather than the AAA channels you are still working on. The subs are stuck without Spike or Speed for at least another year and e* will then shoot itself in the other foot by giving a price increase with nothing to show for it. So just announce you are trying to get the big channels, a disaster strikes the bird, and you strong arm Viacom and Fox into giving you the channels you want to carry at a reasonable rate; launching them around the time of the price increase.

If Ceil 2 is successful :up, they could then launch 7-8 niche channels (perhaps before the year is out). Then around the price increase in Februrary hit us with a big wave of AAA channels (that would be excluded from HD Absolute). This way, you would have a bigger carrot to dangle in front of the Absolute subs luring them to switch to silver or gold.... while blaming those channels for the price increase...

They should stop misleading ads on TV, saying 150 national HD channels by end of year. Sounds like false advertising to me.
The ads all say UP TO 150 channels .
Watch closer next time. I'll admit more people are not catching/paying attention to the commercials than i thought , but that is the point of the "up to" not as prominent as the "150."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts