Place your bets...7 new TMP HD channels at 110.

ILS originally had the Ciel II launch listed for 12/5. I think that if it hadn't been pushed back we would have had an HD announcement at the Charlie Chat on Monday.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Sooner will be next week. The satellite made it into the air without any problems so now Dish has more overall capacity to play with over the next few months. No pressing need to keep space on 110 available as a hedge against launch failure and no capacity (in the medium term) to add compelling national HD content. They can add channels now, without having to worry that they would have to remove a channel to add a different, more popular, one one 3 months from now.

I could be way off base, but I'm feeling optomistic today!:D

ILS originally had the Ciel II launch listed for 12/5. I think that if it hadn't been pushed back we would have had an HD announcement at the Charlie Chat on Monday.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Sooner will be next week. The satellite made it into the air without any problems so now Dish has more overall capacity to play with over the next few months. No pressing need to keep space on 110 available as a hedge against launch failure and no capacity (in the medium term) to add compelling national HD content. They can add channels now, without having to worry that they would have to remove a channel to add a different, more popular, one one 3 months from now.

I could be way off base, but I'm feeling optomistic today!:D

:up Well put, been trying to figure how to say that for a while (well, since monday night)

Last edited:
Actually, that's the big reason I want Spike. (HD only here, so I don't get Spike until it's HD)

Yeah, that's the thing about national HD launches; us HD commodity subs can only get new channels when they are available in HD; then we get to watch the crappy SD version as well. Woo hoo...

So that's why we make a big stink. Channels like Spike, or E!, or ESPNU, or whatever, that most subscribers take for granted, are like holy grails for us. We don't have an SD feed to hold us over until the HD one comes out. I get to miss games on ESPNU or Star Trek on Spike, because we just don't have these relatively basic, lower tiered channels.

Yeah, that's the thing about national HD launches; us HD commodity subs can only get new channels when they are available in HD; then we get to watch the crappy SD version as well. Woo hoo...

So that's why we make a big stink. Channels like Spike, or E!, or ESPNU, or whatever, that most subscribers take for granted, are like holy grails for us. We don't have an SD feed to hold us over until the HD one comes out. I get to miss games on ESPNU or Star Trek on Spike, because we just don't have these relatively basic, lower tiered channels.

I totally understand this point of view, but you can't really expect people who are paying more than you to feel sorry for you. You made the choice.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that the existence HD Absolute has SLOWED the introduction of HD channels, due to the economics of it. So if anything, we should be mad at you.

That said, there are only a few channels holding ME back from making that choice, so I totally understand why you are excited for each addition. Sadly, one is TCM, which isn't even in the pipeline, so it's probably a long ways off.

I totally understand this point of view, but you can't really expect people who are paying more than you to feel sorry for you. You made the choice.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that the existence HD Absolute has SLOWED the introduction of HD channels, due to the economics of it. So if anything, we should be mad at you.

That said, there are only a few channels holding ME back from making that choice, so I totally understand why you are excited for each addition. Sadly, one is TCM, which isn't even in the pipeline, so it's probably a long ways off.

I would think people paying more would be more upset at the lack of HD. Pleanty of people with Spike SD want Spike HD for all the MMA they show.

When I looked at HD absolute, I realized that I was paying $25/month extra for 3 networks. Comedy Central for TDS/TCR, which I could download free on Hulu, Spike for ST: DS9 and ST:VOY reruns, which I only occationally watched and are readliy on Netflix, and E! for The Soup, which is the only thing I can really say I can't get other places.

Also, we were promised that all new launches were included, which made me hope I might get these back. Had that promise not been there, I may not have signed up.

Yeah, I made the choice, but there is nothing wrong with wanting more HD just so they are included in HD only packs. Dish may not be selling Absolute anymore, but now they have 3 others. If Dish wants to sell them, they need to have mainstream networks.

The argument that we are holding back additions will be dead in a few weeks wit the new year, as Charlie's promise runs out. But I'll still argue for them to be added so I can go to TurboHD Bronze or Silver.

On another note, anyone else notice Stewart and Colbert indicated they were done for the year already? This seems to be a week earlier than normal from what I remember. Perhaps they are clearing out some extra time to convert their studios to HD production?

Seems to match up with Cox's announcement of 1st week of Jan for Comedy Central HD, and Charlie putting the logo out there for new HD.

On another note, anyone else notice Stewart and Colbert indicated they were done for the year already? This seems to be a week earlier than normal from what I remember. Perhaps they are clearing out some extra time to convert their studios to HD production?

Seems to match up with Cox's announcement of 1st week of Jan for Comedy Central HD, and Charlie putting the logo out there for new HD.
It could also be due to an economic slow down an loss of ad revenue

The working theory is that after this year they won't add anymore channels into HD Absolute and in Feb existing subs can sign up for the turbo pack. Since Ceil 2 successfully launched, if they launch anything between now and the end of the year, I'd be willing to bet they are niche channels (that would be gold or platinum tier - as well as a few silver). Here's why: if launch a lot of AAA HD channels, it will be really hard to pry the existing HD Absolute subs out of that package. If you give them AT250 channels or HD Only Channels then when existing subs can go Turbo in Feb, there is a better chance to have them hooked on gold (and/or platinum) channels rather than setteling in with silver. (essentially the free preview idea)

For instance:
They add channels like Crime and Investigation, Wealth, Outdoor 2, ESPN-U and Style (and if they exist: Chiller and Slueth HD) next week which would only benefit Gold, Platinum and HD Absolute subs. Then launch Comedy Central, Spike, FX and Speed in February; all bronze and silver channels (but most likely not given to HD Abs subs). If they do something like that, it will give the absolute subs a month or so to get hooked on the new channels; and be more likely to upgrade to turbo gold, rather than lateral to turbo silver.

The working theory is that after this year they won't add anymore channels into HD Absolute and in Feb existing subs can sign up for the turbo pack.

I could see that as well. However, I think they could start in Jan., as Charlie only promised us new nets this year. However, for me to be a happy camper, they would also need to allow us to go Turbo in Jan.

Unfortunately for Dish, none of those channels would keep me at a Gold level. But with Comedy Central, Spike, E!, and my RSN, TurboHD Silver here I come.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

I am a turbo gold customer (which is why I said HD commodity, i.e. bronze, silver, gold, and platinum).

The thing is, this forum is about the speculation and so forth, so while you don't have to feel sorry for us, you should expect us to constantly clamor for HD; which is our only source of new programming.