Plans to downgrade from hopper setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
Hi guys, I have a quick question concerning fees.

I'm currently not under contract. I have 2 HWS on my account with A200. I'm on retention credits, but I wont be forever so I want to plan and see if I can lower my bill a bit when the credits run out.

If I downgrade to a 722k and a 211k, what would my equipment fees be? I'm really confused because of the DVR fee.

Sounds like if a 722K and a 211 would be enough for you, why not drop the second Hopper? I personally could not even fathom going back to that setup.

Sounds like if a 722K and a 211 would be enough for you, why not drop the second Hopper? I personally could not even fathom going back to that setup.

The problem is that I have two TVs that watch different things. (Mines in the bedroom, and my son in the living room) We don't have too many recording conflicts so I was thinking about the 211k and the 722k. I really want to keep A200 due to the HD MLB,NBA and NFL networks.

Lets see if I get this correct.

722 no fee
211 $7
DVR fee $7

Couldn't tell ya for sure on the hoppers.

Lets see if I get this correct.

722 no fee
211 $7
DVR fee $7

Couldn't tell ya for sure on the hoppers.

If that is correct I would be looking at $84 a month before taxes, which is good for me. I really love dish but I hate the cable co's cheap receivers, trying to stay the most I can before my pockets start hurting.

The problem is that I have two TVs that watch different things. (Mines in the bedroom, and my son in the living room)
Then a Hopper and one Joey would be just right.
You were into overkill with 2 Hoppers.

Last edited:
Theres the $5 DVR fee difference but It would be an alternative. And I agree with you, downgrading would suck due to the dated UI.

And not being able to easily share recordings. That $5 should be an easy pill to swallow.

And not being able to easily share recordings. That $5 should be an easy pill to swallow.
I totally understand that but like I said, I'm not not using the hopper to its full potential due to our limited viewing habits, thats why I considered getting rid of it. At the end of the day I may just swallow the $5 fee and settle for replacing it with the joey.

You said you have 2 tv's. Why 722 AND 211? 722 in single mode and 211 to get hd on 2nd tv? but then no dvr on this one.

I'm a bit confused. I admit. Yor new setup does not make much sense to me with information you provided. You don't have recording conflicts cause each one of you has a HWS with 3 tuners each at your disposal. You thinking about going from 6 recordings at the same time down to 2.

Shed a bit more light on it if you can.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hopper and a super Joey would give you 5 sat tuners and hd on both tv's. You would be able to share recordings. The 211 would incurr a $40 one time fee to convert it to a simple dvr.

What are we dealing with $8 to $10 in fees downgrading the setup?

It would cost far more to pay an upgrade fee to downgrade to a 722/211 than to just keep the setup you have right now.

The way I look at it, think of all the things you piss away $10 on per month. A trip to mc Donald's, lottery, cigarettes etc.

A hopper is worth it.

If you only have two TVs why not just stick with a Hopper and Joey? To me it's well worth the extra $5 to have the Hopper system.

If you go back to VIP your gonna regret it. I have contemplating a change, if I get upgraded to customer, but it's hard to think of not having all that functionality.

If you go back to VIP your gonna regret it. I have contemplating a change, if I get upgraded to customer, but it's hard to think of not having all that functionality.
As I understand it, there are a couple of things you get back when you divorce the Hopper in favor of a ViP722K/ViP211K combo:

1. More and better OTA tuners (and handling thereof)
2. Less EHD frustration
3. Lower cost
4. Not so much of an all-your-eggs-in-one-basket configuration

Has any of these changed?

I'm contemplating switching out my ViP622/508 combo when my 508 DVR credits run out but it doesn't seem to be a cut-and-dried choice to me.

We are talking about after the credits.
But if he waits 14 months until the second hopper credits expire, I think its is questionable if the 722(K) will be available from Dish for anything other than replacing a dead 722(K).

Last edited:
1. I have no use for ota do I can't comment.
2. My ehd works flawlessly.
3. 5 bucks isn't hard to swallow.
4. Your right in that, but I have not had even one issue with my hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)