Status
Not open for further replies.

dodge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Plano, Illinois, United States
Hello
I am in the Market for a Plasma/ LCD tv. 99% of all plasma's are 852*480 from what I understand this monitor will display 720 p just fine, but when it comes to 1080I it will not display that, not enough pixels. Most of what i watch will be fox nascar 720p and cbs hd offerings. Should I wait for the 1024 by 1024 plasma for the 1080i or just get the regular plasma display. Also what is all broadcast over the air in 1080i. I have a sony sat hd 100 already and get all locals from chicago with a winegard antenna just fine in digital. I will also be getting a dish 811 for the Discovery hd pack and hd net espn hd etc. What will I be losing by going with the regular plasma display???

attachment is of my sony sat hd 100 and a sony 18 lcd flat panel display on vga 1080i and I was receiving fox 47 out of madison wi on 1-2-2005 great hd day!!!

Attachments

• P1010089.JPG
    P1010089.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 253
  • P1010096.JPG
    P1010096.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 234
  • P1010099.JPG
    P1010099.JPG
    399 KB · Views: 235
No need to worry- Your set top box AKA HD tuner could be set to 720p and it will convert all 1080i material to that resolution.
Just make sure that the Plasma TV you buy is not Enhanced Defintion which displays no better than 480p. You want a Plasma that will display AT LEAST 720p. With out a HD TV you will get no better than DVD quality.

Resolutions with plasma depend on the size of the set. ED 852x480 is common in the smaller panels. If you are close to the set you can easily see the pixels. But, if you sit 10 feet away you will have a hard time telling a 852x480 set apart from a 1024x720 set. 50" and up plasmas are pretty much all HD. Don't worry either the set or your set top box will do all the conversions to whatever the plasma will display.

See how far away you will be from the plasma then evaluate the plasma in the store at that distance. That is the only real way to tell if it is worth the $$ to go HD.

plasma hdtv vs 852*480

The plasma will be in a small room, 10 by 8 and 5 ft from the people so probably seeing the pixels would be bad, Im looking 42 inch I have 27 inch sd tv in there now, pic quality is great. but I want HD for Nascar and Football so The display I am looking at will do 720p so I am going to have to think long and hard about it.

The 1024x1024 ALIS plasma displays are getting cheaper, not sure what you want to spend or what size screen you want. I sure like the picture of the few I have seen.

Chris

I recommend a minimum native rez of 768 x 1386. It will display 720 or 1080 in all its glory (768 is still higher than the perceived rez of either 720p or 1080i as acquired and broadcast) and the pixels are small enough to be all but invisible at a viewing distance of 3 times the picture height, which is still about 10% closer than even recommended.

I bought a samsung spn4235 plasma edtv 42" about a year ago. It was 2,700 dollars at the time when I got it at circuit city. DVD content looked pretty good so I was attracted to it but when I got satellite via dish for the first time I hated the picture. I couldn't bare to watch tv. The guy set up the receiver (301) with svideo and I said "uhhh isn't it possible to get a hdtv box?" and he said "That would be pointless you have a edtv display that won't even show hdtv." I felt stupid because everyone on the plasma forums was saying I should have spent the extra 2000 dollars. After a year I tried to get a lease on a 811 but no luck. Well today I finally bought one on ebay and received it, connected everything via component and I was very shocked with picture quality. It was very nice to see full advantage of my display. Now I don't know if I'm actually seeing what HDTV looks like on regular displays but I'll tell you the picture looks awsome. Everything looks lifelike, colorful, and no pixels at all from my distance, even close up the picture looks great. It looks a lot better than dvd quality. I was able to set 16:9 and 1080i however I'm not positive that is really what my tv is displaying, it may be displaying 720p but I set it for 1080i in the settings and everything looks wonderful. A plasma is well worth it, looks great, and with hdtv your picture will be amazing. Just watch out for regular digital channels they look like crap but hdtv really shows what your tv is capable of.

The installer tried to sell you that svideo, was equal to real ED even is crazy in my book. The source has a lot to do with all this, 1080i converted to ED for display is quite good. Should be better than DVD as there is more / better information being displayed. DVD really is only 480i from a source perspective ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)