Plasma above Fireplace???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

arubu2000

Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I want to mount a 42" plasma TV over my fireplace.... is that at bad idea? What is the general rule of thumb for this. I see it in magazines all the time... that is where I got the idea?
:confused:

Thanks,

If you actually burn wood/coal fires in that fireplace, I suggest that you don't do it. A plasma set generates quite a bit of heat itself and any extra heat in that environment isn't going to help the TV's long-term reliability. And if it's a solid fuel fireplace then you will occasionally get the puffs of smoke and ash that can find their way onto/into the TV, presenting another unfavorable factor.

If your fireplace is just for show or you have gas logs/gas stove vs. a "real" fire, then it might be a different story. A gas fire has neither the BTUs nor the residuals that you should be concerned about.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Welcome, BTW...!

Thanks Bhelms....

It is a gas fireplace.... the mantel is about 9" deep and the Plasma would sit about 3.5 to 4 feet above the fireplace with the mantel in between about 10" above the mantel. Is there a specific tolerance (temp wise) I should be looking for? Some people tell me to install a blower on the fireplace and then I would not need to worry.??

:cool:

I have a gas log fireplace with a 42" plasma above it. Been up there for over year. Used the fireplace almost everyday during the cold months. Never had a problem.

I'd never put my expen$ive TV near a fire.

In the old days the fireplace might have been a focal point for a room.
The thing that the seating was designed around.
Today, it's often the TV.

So, what about this....? :eureka

Brick up the fireplace and mount the plasma in the middle of the wall at a comfortable viewing height.
Then, when you have the urge for the fire, light up a DVD with fireplace-video and enjoy.

Last edited:
In the old days the fireplace might have been a focal point for a room.
The thing that the seating was designed around.
Today, it's often the TV.

So, what about this....? :eureka

Brick up the fireplace and mount the plasma in the middle of the wall at a comfortable viewing height.
Then, when you have the urge for the fire, light up a DVD with fireplace-video and enjoy.

Dont laugh...we did this. I think fireplaces are a waste of a wall.

Ideally the center of the screen should be at eye level. Unless you stand to watch TV, the only thing above a mantel should be a family picture.

Ideally the center of the screen should be at eye level. Unless you stand to watch TV, the only thing above a mantel should be a family picture.

Exactly right you are young Skywalker! Above the FP would be OK if all your seating was anti-gravity recliners!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)