Plasma above Fireplace???

arubu2000

Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I want to mount a 42" plasma TV over my fireplace.... is that at bad idea? What is the general rule of thumb for this. I see it in magazines all the time... that is where I got the idea?
:confused:

Thanks,

If you actually burn wood/coal fires in that fireplace, I suggest that you don't do it. A plasma set generates quite a bit of heat itself and any extra heat in that environment isn't going to help the TV's long-term reliability. And if it's a solid fuel fireplace then you will occasionally get the puffs of smoke and ash that can find their way onto/into the TV, presenting another unfavorable factor.

If your fireplace is just for show or you have gas logs/gas stove vs. a "real" fire, then it might be a different story. A gas fire has neither the BTUs nor the residuals that you should be concerned about.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Welcome, BTW...!

Thanks Bhelms....

It is a gas fireplace.... the mantel is about 9" deep and the Plasma would sit about 3.5 to 4 feet above the fireplace with the mantel in between about 10" above the mantel. Is there a specific tolerance (temp wise) I should be looking for? Some people tell me to install a blower on the fireplace and then I would not need to worry.??

:cool:

I have a gas log fireplace with a 42" plasma above it. Been up there for over year. Used the fireplace almost everyday during the cold months. Never had a problem.

I'd never put my expen$ive TV near a fire.

In the old days the fireplace might have been a focal point for a room.
The thing that the seating was designed around.
Today, it's often the TV.

So, what about this....? :eureka

Brick up the fireplace and mount the plasma in the middle of the wall at a comfortable viewing height.
Then, when you have the urge for the fire, light up a DVD with fireplace-video and enjoy.

Last edited:
In the old days the fireplace might have been a focal point for a room.
The thing that the seating was designed around.
Today, it's often the TV.

So, what about this....? :eureka

Brick up the fireplace and mount the plasma in the middle of the wall at a comfortable viewing height.
Then, when you have the urge for the fire, light up a DVD with fireplace-video and enjoy.

Dont laugh...we did this. I think fireplaces are a waste of a wall.

Ideally the center of the screen should be at eye level. Unless you stand to watch TV, the only thing above a mantel should be a family picture.

Ideally the center of the screen should be at eye level. Unless you stand to watch TV, the only thing above a mantel should be a family picture.

Exactly right you are young Skywalker! Above the FP would be OK if all your seating was anti-gravity recliners!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)