plastic in throat 103w

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

xtgold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
nutmeg state
In the old days converting linear lnb's to circular by putting plastic in the lnb throat,I noticed the lnb would still get linear signals at a reduced quality(mirrored V and H tp's,but what the heck)
I was wondering if I could do something like that to a fixed dish aimed at 103w to get the nbc hd without having to skew the lnb? If the weather is ok I could play with it tomorrow.It would have the benefit of getting nbc and the other tp's without having to twist and shout.

I kind of doubt that it would work, but I don't know what you're trying to do anyway. If it's a fixed dish, why not skew the LNB?

yeah why not skew the LNB?

Also most of the NBC news feeds are at lower power even a properly skewed LNB (with the right skew which is 26 degrees opposite what it should be) has some issues with those feeds.

linear lnb's to circular by putting plastic in.

Linear to Circular LNBF 1.jpg

yeah why not skew the LNB?

Also most of the NBC news feeds are at lower power even a properly skewed LNB (with the right skew which is 26 degrees opposite what it should be) has some issues with those feeds.
It will be a major pain to get then,since the s10 has no signal beep function I was going to use a coolsat to hit 103w with the usual transponders then switch to the s10 for nbc.I will have to guess at the skew,since the lnb has no markings.

It will be a major pain to get then,since the s10 has no signal beep function I was going to use a coolsat to hit 103w with the usual transponders then switch to the s10 for nbc.I will have to guess at the skew,since the lnb has no markings.

even if there is no markings the easiest way to see what skew should be is its about the same skew as if the dish was pointed at 74W. So if you have a motorized move it to 74W and see the skew on that satellite. Then go from there

or just do trial and error which is the best option :)

I aimed the fixed dish @83w and set the skew,then aimed for 103w using the coolsat with it's settings.
I left the skew alone (103w -20 =83) then scanned with the openbox to get nbc hd.
Quality readings in the 73% range,which for the openbox is plenty.
The only nuisance was trying to get audio on the nbc channels,I had to play with the audio button on
the remote to choose a setting that would give audio at the proper level and not distorted.

I missed recording Kathie Lee running down the sidewalk in a skirt this a.m. on nbc hd.
She made a comment about bouncing around as she was running but I couldn't make out what she said.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)