Playback Failed on Joey 4

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
Hi Guys, I posted this on another thread, but now I am really stuck to the point where Im about to call and cancel my Dish service.

A couple of months I upgraded to H+ and three separate Joey 4s. On one of my Joey 4s I am unable to view the 540 4K channel and it says that I don't have the right equipment. I have tried Scotts trick of pressing the guide button when programming is on but all that does is send it to the guide. I tried switching with another joey 4 and now the channel works flawlessly.

My second problem is whenever I turn on my TV (a brand new Samsung QLED that worked fine with my 4k Joey) the menu will show up and I can go to the guide and press different numbers but everytime it tries to show a picture it has a black screen with "playback failed". The only way to get this off is to pull the Joey4 plug. This happens every time the Joey4 goes to sleep and I turn the TV back on. This wouldn't be that big of a deal until they figure it out, but the tv is on the wall above a fireplace so in order to reset the Joey4 I have to get the ladder out. I have tried to switch out to a different Joey4 and the same thing happens. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? I'm sure that if I call Dish they will send a tech and that will get me nowhere since the issue is happening when I switch to my other Joeys. BTW, this doesn't happen with any of my other TVs that have a Joey 4 connected to them.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_2882.jpeg
    IMG_2882.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi Guys, I posted this on another thread, but now I am really stuck to the point where Im about to call and cancel my Dish service.

A couple of months I upgraded to H+ and three separate Joey 4s. On one of my Joey 4s I am unable to view the 540 4K channel and it says that I don't have the right equipment. I have tried Scotts trick of pressing the guide button when programming is on but all that does is send it to the guide. I tried switching with another joey 4 and now the channel works flawlessly.

My second problem is whenever I turn on my TV (a brand new Samsung QLED that worked fine with my 4k Joey) the menu will show up and I can go to the guide and press different numbers but everytime it tries to show a picture it has a black screen with "playback failed". The only way to get this off is to pull the Joey4 plug. This happens every time the Joey4 goes to sleep and I turn the TV back on. This wouldn't be that big of a deal until they figure it out, but the tv is on the wall above a fireplace so in order to reset the Joey4 I have to get the ladder out. I have tried to switch out to a different Joey4 and the same thing happens. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? I'm sure that if I call Dish they will send a tech and that will get me nowhere since the issue is happening when I switch to my other Joeys. BTW, this doesn't happen with any of my other TVs that have a Joey 4 connected to them.

Thanks for the help!
Try the reboot button in the J4 diagnostics tool menu instead of getting your ladder out.

It sounds like maybe the input it's connected to on the TV is set to "Automatic" instead of a specific resolution. Try setting the TV input and the Joey4 output to the same specific resolution. However, if you Google the problem you'll find out you're not alone. It seems to be a not uncommon problem with the inputs board on Samsungs.